What are Airbus smoking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a concept.

Let's see how many folks would be interested.

Some concepts: iPhone, Uber, for example are great.

Some, well, not so much....

Its a kinda sorta concept. Sorta like a transport net of pods that could link up with others going the same way. Punch in your route and let the electronics do the work. When do we get that app?
grin2.gif

I suspect that this is more a way for Airbus to show just how clever and forward thinking they can be rather than any sort of serious proposal.
One could see some potential military uses for this concept, but cost would exclude it from any other application for the time being.
We can start to take this a little seriously when Airbus builds and demonstrates a working proof of concept.
That'll probably happen right around the time Airbus announces the delivery of the thousandth A380.

Did you see the standing passenger concept Airbus toyed with ? Indeed, that would be an air bus !!!

While I love the idea, I feel it would be a disaster if ever developed enough to put to production. The majority of drivers can barely operate a motor vehicle with four wheels, let alone take to the skies. Wouldn't be long before some genius decides to take off at an airport runway and cause havoc with ATC.

In the not-so-distant future we will summon a vehicle via our smart phone and a driver-less vehicle will arrive at our location based on GPS coordinates from the phone.

Whether this vehicle is capable of taking flight or remaining ground based is just a matter of need. The company that coordinates all of this is going to be the first trillion dollar market cap corporation and I personally feel it will bear the stock symbol UBER.

I don't want to be around a driver with 3-dimensions to work out while they're talking on the phone, listening to music, reading a text message and changing something on the flat screen.

The whole point of this is that user direction would be neither required nor possible.
Now, imagine how cool it would be if in the first minute of the next Bond movie, James was being hotly pursued by a couple of armored carloads of bad guys with Bond in a losing race, but a UAV swoops in and grabs the passenger module just as the ground chassis was hit with an RPG. Bond streaks into the sky and away from the frustrated badies.
I could see this in an action movie, but not as a means of rescuing you or I from a mere traffic jam.

I'd say: IP (Intellectual Property) develop a bunch of clever concepts enough to patent them. Bits and pieces of this may have value in licensing arraignments in the future.

As far as their concept goes, it's a new twist on the old flying car. I've seen flying car schemes since I was a kid, and they existed before that. Realistically, toys for the super-rich at best, until one falls from the sky, and then it will be the lawsuits flying.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I don't want to be around a driver with 3-dimensions to work out while they're talking on the phone, listening to music, reading a text message and changing something on the flat screen.

I think the concept addresses that concern: the quad opted lifting vehicle is a drone: autonomous in operation. It goes where the user requested, but it does the flying and navigating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back