Pentosin 5w40 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some Pentosin 5w40 for $2 per quart today at Autozone. It carries VW 502/505/505.01 and ACEA C3, but not A3/B4. Thoughts on running this for a 3-5k OCI in a 2.0t TSI?

Last edited:
It will be fine for a minimum 5,000 mile OCI.

Since its rated VW 502 as your Tiguan requires, you could likely go the full 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: motech
Picked up some Pentosin 5w40 for $2 per quart today at Autozone. It carries VW 502/505/505.01 and ACEA C3, but not A3/B4. Thoughts on running this for a 3-5k OCI in a 2.0t TSI?

No problems, and it is really good oil.
Do OCI 5-7.5K.

Thats a deal! As long as it has the VW 502 00 approval your good to go for 10K. Also FYI Pentosin is Fuchs now. They are no longer making and bottling oil in Germany. They are just a brand of Fuchs now for the US market. A year or maybe longer ago.......Pentosin was bought by Fuchs. I dont even think Pentosin is available in Germany and other European countries anymore....just a US brand. If the bottle still says bottled by Pentosin its just old stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: H_Tech
Thats a deal! As long as it has the VW 502 00 approval your good to go for 10K. Also FYI Pentosin is Fuchs now. They are no longer making and bottling oil in Germany. They are just a brand of Fuchs now for the US market. A year or maybe longer ago.......Pentosin was bought by Fuchs. I dont even think Pentosin is available in Germany and other European countries anymore....just a US brand. If the bottle still says bottled by Pentosin its just old stock.

Really?
So what happened with Pentosin plants?
Pentosin as an motor oil was never that widespread in Europe. However, Pentosin brake fluid, steering fluid and ATF fluid are extremely popular and Fuchs will not get rid of that name just like that. All those products are still available in Europe under Pentosin name.
By the way, 10K in 2.0TSI engine, especially with mid-SAPS oil is too much.

I'm coming off of my previous OCI where the M1 0w40 FS was already shearing at 4800 miles, so with my short trip driving I'm not going to push it on any oil. On a related note I'm running the M1 in the wife's Q5- almost exclusively highway miles. I'm hopeful it stays in grade so I can have at least one car that can run on M1 (and it's rebates!).

Last edited:
I'm coming off of my previous OCI where the M1 0w40 FS was already shearing at 4800 miles, so with my short trip driving I'm not going to push it on any oil. On a related note I'm running the M1 in the wife's Q5- almost exclusively highway miles. I'm hopeful it stays in grade so I can have at least one car that can run on M1 (and it's rebates!).

Switch to Castrol 0W40.
IMO, they really screwed up this M1 0W40 FS. Previous version was extremely stout.
Also, Q5 2.0TFSI is basically same engine like in Tiguan, with higher torque. I would still do 5-7.5K OCI. Oil is cheap, engine is not.

Castrol is actually my first choice. Have been experimenting with M1 to see how the FS version holds up. If it can't hold up to easy highway miles in the Audi, I won't even buy it with the rebates.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Switch to Castrol 0W40.
IMO, they really screwed up this M1 0W40 FS. Previous version was extremely stout.
Also, Q5 2.0TFSI is basically same engine like in Tiguan, with higher torque. I would still do 5-7.5K OCI. Oil is cheap, engine is not.

The Q5 2.0TFSI is not basically the same engine like the Tiguan. It has the newer generation ea888 engine. Some sources say it's the 3rg gen ea888 motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Switch to Castrol 0W40.

The Q5 2.0TFSI is not basically the same engine like the Tiguan. It has the newer generation ea888 engine. Some sources say it's the 3rg gen ea888 motor.

As far as I know, valve train is the only difference between EA888 in Tiguan and EA 888 in Q5.
New A4 is different story.

Switch to Castrol 0W40.

Just curious, why do you say the new M1 0W-40 FS is less stout than its predecessor? What in the VOA numbers lead you to that conclusion?

Last edited:

Really?
So what happened with Pentosin plants?
Pentosin as an motor oil was never that widespread in Europe. However, Pentosin brake fluid, steering fluid and ATF fluid are extremely popular and Fuchs will not get rid of that name just like that. All those products are still available in Europe under Pentosin name.
By the way, 10K in 2.0TSI engine, especially with mid-SAPS oil is too much.

Ooops I replied wrong. My post is in the above post.

Where it is exactly being manufactured im not sure. I was in Frankfurt at automechanika and was told by several oil companies the original plant is not in operation as of the buy from Fuchs. It looks to be another brand of Fuchs now......such as how Fuchs has the titan brand......or silkolene. Here is a link of the Brands under Fuchs website and the buy info.

http://www.fuchs.co.nz/News-Details?newsId=2&title=FUCHS-acquires-German-lubricants-supplier
http://www.fuchs.com/us/en/brands/

I know that Fuchs bought Pentosin. Could be that they are selling Pentosin oil only in the U.S.
Hardly believe that they will get rid of CHF-11s and brake fluid products.

Exactly. Pentosin has become almost a genericized trademark for European PSF. When you have a German car and need PSF, you go and buy Pentosin. It would be like buying the Kleenex trademark and renaming every tissue product in your portfolio something else.
wink.gif

Where it is exactly being manufactured im not sure. I was in Frankfurt at automechanika and was told by several oil companies the original plant is not in operation as of the buy from Fuchs. It looks to be another brand of Fuchs now......such as how Fuchs has the titan brand......or silkolene. Here is a link of the Brands under Fuchs website and the buy info.

http://www.fuchs.co.nz/News-Details?newsId=2&title=FUCHS-acquires-German-lubricants-supplier
http://www.fuchs.com/us/en/brands/

I know that Fuchs bought Pentosin. Could be that they are selling Pentosin oil only in the U.S.

I agree it looks as it many of the product will still be available as we know them. Just a mild re-branded look. Here is the new look of bottle on this page. http://www.fuchs.com/de/en/company/news/press-releases/

Originally Posted By: Garak

Exactly. Pentosin has become almost a genericized trademark for European PSF. When you have a German car and need PSF, you go and buy Pentosin. It would be like buying the Kleenex trademark and renaming every tissue product in your portfolio something else.
wink.gif

Hopefully in the bottle will be actual CHF-11s and brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back