R.I.P. John Surtees

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have been one of the greatest race car drivers ever but he was better on a bike. He was so smooth that rider fell following him and he almost never crashed or went off the course. His mechanics claimed that it was difficult to believe that the bike he rode to victory looked so good inside once they tore it down. They stated that he had a feel for how the carb(s) should be jetted and was very picky about tire pressures and would often vary them a bit during practice and then get the results that proved he was not just guessing. Other riders claimed they went faster after watching him practice when they copied his line around the course which was often different than the commonly accepted practice. He even took time to help other riders just like Jackie Steward often did in car racing. RIP, John Surtees, you will be missed.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
One of the greatest drivers ever to come out of the UK, alongside Jackie Stewart, Sterling Moss and Graham Hill. An F1 driver living to age 83? Not bad.

Yes he was one of the greats but your list is incomplete without Jim Clark.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
He may have been one of the greatest race car drivers ever but he was better on a bike. He was so smooth

I saw him race a Vincent Comet at Pukekohe in the '80's maybe. Like a lot of good riders he was almost boring to watch, no drama, just the same lines every time, like a metronome. A lot of riders trying hard to catch him...but he wasn't trying at all. Interesting that after he retired, he went back to bikes as more interesting and fun.

I went to the library this morning, and got a book out about Chris Amon...and there is a lot of Surtees in the book, them being team mates. I come home and find Surtees is dead. If there was a book on John Surtees perhaps I would've picked that one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back