Crashed Badly, Probably Done Riding Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19th I wiped out bad on the Ducati. Known road, chat gravel kickout on curve left roadway struck buried gas line marker sign, high sided off bike and continued on a ways in the weeds and saplings apparently tumbling and maybe a cart wheel or two (based on trauma types). Wearing gear. Helmet saved life. Period.

Came to on back in berm/ravine area (rural road) this happened about 4pm that Sunday. Didn;t know who I was where I was and etc for a minute or so until reality faded back in. Right arm and left foot not working, had to dig with right foot and left elbow and butt scoot up to edge of roadway (rural double yellow liner type). No traffic for awhile. Eventually saw Dodge Ram p/u coming. Waved left arm rapidly from roadside in the grass. White/bright silver visibility of jacket maybe helped, but he saw me and pulled over. Still have distinct visual memory of him running to me from truck with large smartphone in hand. No memory of what happened next, next memory is being put on a backboard by EMS with fire and sheriff on scene.

It was really bad.

ER diagnosed multiple fractures left ankle, broken humorous bone right arm, whiplash to C6 and C7 vertebra, and a brain bleed.

Blessed to be alive.

Hospitalized from 19th to 23rd, rehab in-patient Feb 23 - Mar 3. Home on 3rd. Outpatient rehab now. In a c-collar for neck for maybe 6 or 7 more weeks, titanium rod and screw stabilization/repair to right arm (rod inside the bone) arm works with crutches and pain not too severe although therapy lights it up a bit. External fixator (i.e. erector set) on left ankle pending need for inflammation to stabilize then will need a surgery to fix right. Follow-up appt on that this afternoon.

Managing on Tylenol only, have Tramadol on standby if need more. Pain there but not enough to flee into opiate land. In-patient rehab offered Perkosets but turned them down, don't want the side effects.

Jarlaxle: Just stop before ya start there, okay? Yep, I bagged it pretty hard and yep it was a sport bike.

Guess it will still start a debate, which is okay. Riding is a risk, I had accepted that risk for yrs but this accident could have taken me or paralyzed me. I don't want any anti-riding thread to develop from this, I had full insurance coverage as well as full health insurance. Insurance is paying out a sum on the bike as it is quite totaled. I won't be getting another.

To my riding brothers and sisters I say, it's a risk, you already know it, just wear your gear. Mine saved me life. I considered myself a safe rider but this thing unfolded in a couple seconds.

Have good MD's and lots of help from family and friends plus my wonderful fiancee.

That's really tough, but I am glad to hear it wasn't worse. I have had lesser mishaps question my resolve to keep riding, but the love of it keeps me coming back for more. I could absolutely understand hanging up the boots after a major thing like this, but at the same time I hope you get through it and come back to the sport even if in a more limited way.

Good luck with the full recovery.

Sorry to hear of the [censored] you have been through. Glad to hear you are mending.
Love the look, technology and power of bikes, but would never ride one - just too many things that can go wrong.

Get well soon !

Last edited by a moderator:
LR, sad to know you crashed, glad to know you are getting good care. Keep us posted on how your rehab is going. Prayers sent.

Mere flesh wound.....................kidding ya man. Get well soon, and you're right focus on you and your blessings for awhile. Riding again or not, it's not like you have to decide that now or next week or next year. Go with your gut.

I will tell you I can relate in a way. I used to roadrace for years, I did very well, and stayed healthy even with a number of crashes. Nevertheless as time went buy I felt like I should count my blessings and not press my luck. More and more over time as I was driving to the track I'd literally start to wonder which turn the gremlins were hanging out in with my number, or which other bike, or which catastrophic mechanical problem. Like they were ghosts hanging around waiting to collect me. I know it sounds weird but it was true, I'm a superstitious type that way. After a couple years of that and thinking about it I retired on my own terms and never looked back. I enjoyed it, I was proud, and I was done. Bye bye gremlins.

You may find that's where you're at. Think it through on your own terms. Check your gut often over time. If you feel gremlins lurking, retire from bikes on your own terms and don't look back, revel in your [censored] memories of it, and enjoy a bunch of sunsets.

Get well soon.

have a great recovery. one of my good friends did the same many moons ago.
his journey took him on 5-series BMWs driven at high lateral adhesion rates
inside late night city streets. then flying single engines.

He also, in his down time, learned to program.

if your pain starts to slow you down, look into a new device, Quell, tapes to
calf, sends signals up the leg to "confuse" the brain, and lowers the pain
levels.

there are others that tape to the small of the back.

wishing you well, there's a very bright future out there.

So sad to hear and me being a rider can always feel your pain. Prayers sent your way and wishing you a speedy recovery. Stay safe!

I feel your pain! Get well fast. I was taken out by a drunk running a red light years ago, she knocked me off then drove over me. Long story, bad memories.
My advice to you is get back on a bike ASAP. I cant stop riding I am an full blown addict, I rode a bike long before driving a car and never been a day without one since I was 16 (I'm almost 60 now).

Glad to hear that you're on your way to getting better! Sounds like a really rough crash.

Any pics of your gear to remember your riding days with? Any you would share? We can never have enough reminders to dress for the crash.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you don't get any aftershocks years later. Those suck more than the recovery. Stay strong.

You're grass side up - that's what counts. Your positive attitude remains intact. Not that this applies to you, but I learned at an early age that I had zero skills and aptitude for motorcycles. The Clint Eastwood line comes to mind - "A man's got to know his limitations."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this happened. So if I understand correctly you were navigating a road curving to the left and stray gravel on the road caused you to lose control and run into a buried gas line sign?

What would "chat" gravel be? Is this the tiny stuff?

Sorry about your crash, brother. I've done tens of thousands of miles on sportbikes as a mountain and backroad rider since I started riding in 2004. I've crashed 7 times on the road, but never injured as severely as you were. Never actually broken a bone, in fact. I've seen some bad crashes and had some buddies who "never crashed" have accidents and hurt themselves pretty badly.

Since I started riding, running and riding bicycles has become more of a priority for me. I still go off-road dirt bike riding from time to time, but haven't ridden my R1 in over 2 years. I'd just hate to crash and hurt myself and not be able to run or ride bicycles.

It's a lot of fun, but risky, and the consequences of a crash can be severe.

Taking it to the track removes some of the variables (gravel, dogs, cars, broken pavement around a blind corner), but is still not a guarantee you won't get hurt. A few years ago a friend of mine was hurt very badly in a track crash when someone's bike oiled down the track. He went down and then was hit by other riders. Lost his career as a FedEx MD-11 captain.

I may eventually get back into street riding in some form in the future. Maybe when I'm too old to run ((hopefully that day will never come!). I will continue to ride dirt bikes. Speeds are much lower (20 mph vs. 120), and the risk level is acceptable to me.

Here's hoping and praying for a full and quick recovery!

I am glad you are ok, LoneRanger.

Here's to many more wonderful travels!
cheers3.gif

Dude, that is a total bummer. Glad you're OK; get better soon. Insist on doing mass amounts of physical therapy and keep doing it long after you think you're fully recovered. Been there, done that, still doing it decades after severe bone breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back