Mix HOAT with IAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per signature, i use G11 IAT coolant from wolf.
That was their oil selector's recommendation.

After 3 months i start to dig deeper and found that oil selectors of other companies recommend either HOAT or OAT (Mobil,motol,Valvoline,kroon oil,enoc)
Only wolf recommends IAT!

Owner's manual doesn't mention any coolant specification. or type.

My knowledge that both engine and radiator are aluminium.

No available information if there are copper parts/lead solders in cooling system.

My concern is:
when i change current G11 coolant,is it ok to use HOAT coolant instead?

After draining cooling system, about 2 liters of current coolant remain inside engine even after pumping air.

I think your best bet will be to flush the system thoroughly with water prior to refilling with the HOAT coolant.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
I think your best bet will be to flush the system thoroughly with water prior to refilling with the HOAT coolant.

Two questions here:
1- how to flush? Is distilled water required?
2- is it safe to switch from IAT to HOAT?

You can use water from garden hose to flush, but the last flush should be distilled water. Unless you water comes from desalinization plants. Unsure what is in Egypt.

I would not mix any coolant chemistry and would use the chemistry recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You do not need to use their coolant, but one that meets their specs.

Only use AM/AM coolant in an emergency. But in Egypt I would use distilled water in emergency since I am assuming it never freezes in Egypt.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You can use water from garden hose to flush, but the last flush should be distilled water. Unless you water comes from desalinization plants. Unsure what is in Egypt.

I would not mix any coolant chemistry and would use the chemistry recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You do not need to use their coolant, but one that meets their specs.

Only use AM/AM coolant in an emergency. But in Egypt I would use distilled water in emergency since I am assuming it never freezes in Egypt.

Here i drink from a RO 5 stages filter. Faucet Water contains high salts.

Chery didn't specify any specs. In car manual.

What's AM/AM coolant?
define emergency here please.
It doesn't freeze.

If i did a full flush with last stage of distilled water, am i gonna be able to use HOAT Coolant then?

If you flush the system appropriately, you can refill it with any coolant type. I put G-05 in everything I own after a flush. Just follow the manufactures [coolant] recommended change interval.

Whether distilled water is required, depends. However coolant manufacturers take into account people using tap water in their formulations.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
If you flush the system appropriately, you can refill it with any coolant type. I put G-05 in everything I own after a flush. Just follow the manufactures [coolant] recommended change interval.

Whether distilled water is required, depends. However coolant manufacturers take into account people using tap water in their formulations.

Great, then what's the accurate flush way to follow?
In details please.

Really? It depends on the configuration of the cooling system. Basically fill, dump, fill, dump till the water comes out clean. You could also stick a garden hose into a radiator hose and let it drain out the bottom (block or rad drain). If you worried about water quality do the final flush with distilled water.

Mixing of coolants isn't as dire as some make it out to be... all it really does is lower the "service" life of the coolant. It won't turn to jelly or anything like that when the two are mixed.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Really? It depends on the configuration of the cooling system. Basically fill, dump, fill, dump till the water comes out clean. You could also stick a garden hose into a radiator hose and let it drain out the bottom (block or rad drain). If you worried about water quality do the final flush with distilled water.

Mixing of coolants isn't as dire as some make it out to be... all it really does is lower the "service" life of the coolant. It won't turn to jelly or anything like that when the two are mixed.

Shouldn't i start engine while flushing so all water inside came out?

Also I've a water reservoir for a/c heater, shouldn't i have to operate heater to allow all water to came out?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
no, don't start the engine without coolant or water. The waterpump seal won't like it.

While flushing means while adding/draining process, there'll always be water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back