Is the used car market dead right now?(2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have taken the $5700 offer. People want deals and will just go to a used car lot if they want to pay full "book".

Also, disconnect any pride or hurt feelings you may get with low ball offers, no buyer cares if your feelings get hurt from it. Straight up yes or no is all that is needed.

Lastly, there is a price to move now or a price you are willing to sit on and wait for the one special snowflake that may cherish the vehicle and price you are offering it for.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Should have taken the $5700 offer. People want deals and will just go to a used car lot if they want to pay full "book".

Also, disconnect any pride or hurt feelings you may get with low ball offers, no buyer cares if your feelings get hurt from it. Straight up yes or no is all that is needed.

Yep, that $5700 may very well turn out to be the best offer on that vehicle.

The buyer is taking a risk, purchasing a high mile used car, as is, from a private seller with no warranty whatsoever. Moreover, not too many people have $6000 cash lying around (especially in upstate NY). Those that do are probably going to use it for a down payment on a late model new or used car.
I'd lower the asking price to $5900, take the first serious offer over $5500 and move on. Or pull it off the market until spring.

Personally, I never get insulted when someone offers me money.
coffee2.gif

Looking on Ebay, there is that finished auction. somewhat higher miles and went for 4600. I think 5700 was a good offer. For 6K+, they got a 88K mile vehicle so 5.7K was spot on.

2006 BMW 3-Series 330xi
$4,605.00
18 bids
View similar active items
Sell one like this
Dec-08 21:00
Year: 2006
Mileage: 127,728

Spring is the height of people getting tax returns etc, and people generally start thinking about getting into another car. My buddy has an 06 335 and had many problems with the turbo seals going bad etc, this would make any used German car buyer leery.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
Spring is the height of people getting tax returns etc, and people generally start thinking about getting into another car. My buddy has an 06 335 and had many problems with the turbo seals going bad etc, this would make any used German car buyer leery.

Your buddy does not have an '06 335i, that started in '07.

The e90 330i has none of the 335i's problems.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Yep, it is an 07, but they all suffer from their own issues, like plummeting resale and high upkeep.

To answer OP's original question, the used car market is not dead right now. It is doing well, more so if you are selling a used Toyota pickup on Craigslist. Your phone will ring off the hook.

There's been a lot a good explanations on this thread. I'd like to touch upon the "status" issue, rather than tiptoe around it. New BMWs are a status symbol and people are willing to shell out a lot of money for a new BMWs, for the perceived status (financial, social or otherwise) they bring. Keeping up with the Joneses, yadi yadi yada.

But once a BMW is no longer new, that status is gone. Off to craigslist it goes where it will compete against reliable used Toyota Camrys and Nissans which are better values, and against which it doesn't stand a chance, as many others have explained in this thread.

This is not a new phenomenon, BMWs (and other luxury German cars) don't hold value. That's how this guy picked up an S600 V12 for $4,500.

Yep, it is an 07, but they all suffer from their own issues, like plummeting resale and high upkeep.

Please do explain high upkeep on E90 330i?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Please do explain high upkeep on E90 330i?

Higher upkeep than say a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. A Toyota Camry is probably one of the most boring cars to drive, but you can't ignore it's reliability. I work on BMWs for friends and family. They are awesome cars to drive, but repairing them can be a major pain due to the complexity. Try replacing a waterpump on a Honda Accord in comparison to a 330xi. The Honda water pump you can find aftermarket for $50. The BMW water pump aftermarket from ECS tuning is around $300, and is a major bear to get to. Worth it for people who like driver's cars, but not to the average CL buyer who needs transportation to work, hence the depreciation.

Quote:
Higher upkeep than say a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. A Toyota Camry is probably one of the most boring cars to drive, but you can't ignore it's reliability. I work on BMWs for friends and family. They are awesome cars to drive, but repairing them can be a major pain due to the complexity. Try replacing a waterpump on a Honda Accord in comparison to a 330xi. The Honda water pump you can find aftermarket for $50. The BMW water pump aftermarket from ECS tuning is around $300, and is a major bear to get to. Worth it for people who like driver's cars, but not to the average CL buyer who needs transportation to work, hence the depreciation.

Yeah sure, I understand, I work on my cars, although for example if you buy front pads made by Textar (OE supplier) you pay $76 for X5, while in BMW it is almost $200.
OEM water pump for diesel X5 is around $130, but yeah, those electric ones are pricey.
But issue is that people who buy BMW's go by default to dealership and that is where there is where bad reputation comes from. I am not sure even $300 for water pump is expensive since it is not like you are changing it every 10K. Problem is labor that BMW charges in dealerships.
By the way, I would rather work two days on BMW and drive that, then 1 hour on Camry and come to the temptation to shoot myself.
Talking about Honda. My in laws have 2009 Pilot with 63K. They probably spent 10X more money on upkeep of that POS then I did on X5 in 66K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back