File encryption software not U.S. based

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for good strong encryption program for email attachments.

I'm looking for a foreign company(EU is preferred), that hopefully has not surrendered master keys to Western governments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Try something open source. Your answer begins and ends with GPG.

Thanks!!

Is ProtonMail an option? You'd have to create an account on it but their encryption is strong.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Try something open source. Your answer begins and ends with GPG.

If you use Thunderbird for email it is as easy as installing the Enigmail add-on.

There is a Windows GUI here: https://www.gpg4win.org/index.html

That's exactly what I use at work and it works really well!

Ed

I see this question frequently. I wonder what is in your attachments that you want to encrypt from western governments. Some pretty horrific thoughts come to mind.

Just making sure you understand that the receiving party also needs to be able to decrypt your emails.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I see this question frequently. I wonder what is in your attachments that you want to encrypt from western governments. Some pretty horrific thoughts come to mind.

LOL, seriously?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I'm looking for a foreign company(EU is preferred), that hopefully has not surrendered master keys to Western governments.

They capture the message before it's encrypted so it doesn't matter what encryption software you use.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

They capture the message before it's encrypted so it doesn't matter what encryption software you use.

They are so advanced...that capturing is possible even if your computer is "offline"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

They are so advanced...that capturing is possible even if your computer is "offline"
laugh.gif

How do you send an email when a computer is offline?

That apparently applies to telephones, but has absolutely no standing when it comes to sending an email. Explain to me how the NSA would handle this:

I write the body of my email text in my favourite text editor, emacs, from the command line. Basically, I'm writing a text file. I directly encrypt that text into ASCII armoured text with GPG from the command line. I wipe (not delete) the original text file. I copy that ASCII armoured text into my clipboard, and paste it into my email client, or my web browser email app. The email is encrypted before I've even opened an email program or a web browser, and before it was even an email in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123

Without getting political, it's pretty easy to think of scenarios. A reporter would be well advised to be able to do so. Corporations would be well advised to do so as well.

That apparently applies to telephones, but has absolutely no standing when it comes to sending an email. Explain to me how the NSA would handle this:

I write the body of my email text in my favourite text editor, emacs, from the command line. Basically, I'm writing a text file. I directly encrypt that text into ASCII armoured text with GPG from the command line. I wipe (not delete) the original text file. I copy that ASCII armoured text into my clipboard, and paste it into my email client, or my web browser email app. The email is encrypted before I've even opened an email program or a web browser, and before it was even an email in the first place.

If I understood some of the stuff I read about what is in those leaks, the CIA claims they can access MacOS & iOS, Windows, **Linux**/ Android; implying they could access the email you wrote in Emacs either when you saved it (pre-encryption) or even from swap or temp space while you were writing it. There was no mention about whether they could perform this little trick were you to use vi. :^)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

If I understood some of the stuff I read about what is in those leaks, the CIA claims they can access MacOS & iOS, Windows, **Linux**/ Android; implying they could access the email you wrote in Emacs either when you saved it (pre-encryption) or even from swap or temp space while you were writing it. There was no mention about whether they could perform this little trick were you to use vi. :^)

You should be using "live" OS anyways and save everything on a SD card.. or whatever. TAILS operating system comes to mind!

After my Windows 8.1 antiquates I'm seriously looking at live OS versions for my main usage.

Not interested having everything I've done online in some NSA server sitting around for 200 years..

Last edited:
Smarten up, vi is inferior.
wink.gif

Nonetheless, what I've read mentioned Linux, but didn't mention anything about it. I can see the phone problem they mention, because it's all automated.

Of course, all what you mentioned as a hypothesis is old hat, and can be accomplished through physical access of the computer, which is the biggest danger with such organizations, anyhow, or rubber hose cryptography. If such a thing could be done remotely, and I'm skeptical, one could alter one's methods to make things safer, such as eliminating swap, or wiping swap or temp space.

With the phones, these processes are all automated, and when something is done one way and only one way all the time, well, it's easy to hack routine.

You should be using "live" OS anyways and save everything on a SD card.. or whatever. TAILS operating system comes to mind!

Conspicuously absent from the list of OS's that they had access to were the BSD's, as well.

What if the attachment itself is encrypted (ie, Word or Excel spreadsheet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back