Any thoughts between these tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 07 F150 4x2 needs some new tires. I've been running Michelin LTX M/S2 and Blizzaks in winter (265/60R18). I'm retired and this is my main ride, doing about 14k miles annually. I do a little towing of a travel trailer but, I don't take it all that far. Plan to do some traveling and tent camping this summer. I'm thinking either Michelin Defender LTX M/S or Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. Any thoughts or past experiences with these, especially on 1/2 ton P/Us?

Thanks!

I'd go LTX, but Id also consider running BFG AT tires, even on a 4x2, and ditching the snow tires. We run BFG AT tires in severe Caribbean service on 4x2 delivery trucks, up to load range E types, with great service and life m

I've had the Yokohama Geolanders and I'm on my second set. Got 80,000 miles on the first set on my Sierra 1500 4x4. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
I've had the Yokohama Geolanders and I'm on my second set. Got 80,000 miles on the first set on my Sierra 1500 4x4. No complaints.

How's the noise on the highway with them?

Michelins are the greatest tires in the world. I'm surprised you had to ask........

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Having used the Defenders, I'd go with the Geolandars...

Why do you prefer the Yokohamas to the Defenders? I've always used Michelin when possible but, I've heard good things about these Geolanders. I think they rated higher at Tirerack.com.

Get the Geolandars, they also have the 3 peak mountain snowflake on them. Friend has a set on a 03 Ram 3500. He loves them, nice deep tread too.

Are you a member of Costco? If so, I'd do the Michelin on sale and rely on their warranty. If not I'd go with the Geolanders which I think is the better tire.

I have Michelin on my6 big Bronco, but I have always been disappointed by the early and extreme ozone cracking that they develop. I get better service life out of Yokahama's. But find it harder to warranty them when out in the desert or off road.

If you have good sources to warranty the Geolanders like a good regional chain in your area, go that way
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with Yokohama, but the LTX's are wonderful.

I have them on my wife's RAM 1500 now for over 30k miles and they still look new. I have had them last amazingly long even in severe service and we do not experience the ozone cracking here...

If you want a street tire it would be almost impossible to be the LTX if you don't consider cost.

If you want an all terrain though the Yokohamas would be fine.

My wife just replaced a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 A/T tires on her F150 (stock 17" size) which provided good service and even treadwear for about 45,000 miles or so. She was considering replacing with the same tire or the Firestone Destination AT (prior good experience). We didn't consider the LTX due to cost, though my stepfather buys them for his trucks and always seems to have good experiences.

She did some more research on Tirerack and bought a set of the Yokohamas from the local tire dealer instead, based on positive reviews on the same vehicle and comparatively low price. They balanced out well, ride pretty softly, and are super quiet for an A/T tire, though we're only a couple thousand miles in. Happy with our choice so far. These tires were made in Thailand, unlike the others mentioned here.

You are currently running the predecessor to the Defender, so if you are happy with their performance, I would continue with the Michelins as your next set as well. I've owned several sets of LTX's and have always been very happy with their performance and wear characteristics.

I have the A/T's and they have some highway noise, but not too objectionable to me. The highway tread should be very quite.

I've been happy with the LTX's but, can't use them in winter here. I live up the pass from Colorado Springs and go down to the Springs 3-4 times a week. In the winter we have a lot of snow and ice. A lot of dirt roads around here where I live, too. I've used Blizzaks in the winter but have hit the point where both sets are wearing out. It seemed like the Yokohamas might kill a whole flock of birds with one stone as they are mountain snowflake and not a super aggressive A/T tire. I don't expect them to be as good as the Blizzaks in winter but Tire Rack rates them well in snow and ice.

Anyone have experience with the Yokohamas in winter conditions they'd care to share? I expect their noise level is somewhere between my Blizzaks and LTXs.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
Why do you prefer the Yokohamas to the Defenders? I've always used Michelin when possible but, I've heard good things about these Geolanders. I think they rated higher at Tirerack.com.

I had a fair amount of tread "chunking" I think is the word for it... Where bits of the tread block would break off. I'm not especially hard on my tires, I do take my truck to the mountains and spend some time on dirt roads, but no serious off-roading.

Tires were fine otherwise and lasted some 50k, but much of the siping and grooves are not full depth, so the last 10-20k made for an average to poor tire at best. I couldn't count on them for winter use in the last half of the tire's life, but that can be said for most tires.

For the price, if I had a do-over, I'd try the yokos, especially if I could keep some extra change in my pocket.

Well, I went with the Yokohamas. So far, they were excellent on the highway and since they are forecasting 8-12" of snow tonight, maybe I'll get a chance to see how they handle the snow tomorrow. As warm as it's been, I doubt we'll see much ice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back