Brad Penn Green Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Brad Penn in my 71 Chevelle. Started using it after some discussions with Richard Iskenderian at Isky Racing Cams. He highly recommended that I use Brad Penn with their EZX solid roller lifters and the spring pressures I'm running (250lbs / 640lbs). He stated they have performed a lot of testing with BP (along with several other performance oils) and found BP performed best. He suggested Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 10w30 or 15w40 for my application.
As far as the "new" Penngrade 1 oil, according to a local distributor here in Indy told me the company that purchased Brad Penn will not be changing the product, just a name and package change. Supposedly it will be the same oil, time will tell.

Last edited:
Thank you for that info Darren. I've found no conclusive info as to whether the "new" product would be the same or not. With Isky highly recommending the oil, that's saying a lot. Isky is considered to be a genius when it comes to machining and was a pioneer of the roller camshaft.

For anyone interested, I've called and left a message with the Penn Grade 1 technical advisor regarding who is making the oil and if its the same as Brad Penn. I'm also going to try to eek out some info on ZDDP levels and available grades.

I'll open a new thread in the racing/performance section when I know details.

I think you should post here too. Not a lot of folks drop by racing forum ...

If it turns out the recipe is the same and they are have good contract results, there is no reason to move away from Brad Penn / Penn Grade 1. It was very good oil for built engines.

If they have tweaked the formula and it's not the same any more, I'd seriously look at Chevron Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty). It is my current go-to oil for built engines, since Cali passed laws preventing "non-current spec" oils from being sold here. We can't even get VR-1
frown.gif

Last edited:
Broc asked me to summarize my findings here, in the original post. So here goes.

Brad Penn as a brand was acquired by D-A Lubricants approximately two years ago, and we as consumers should be seeing the "new" Penn Grade 1 products within the next month or so. I was informed of the following regarding Brad Penn and its switch to Penn Grade 1.

-The formula hasn't changed
-Penn Grade products are still being produced at the old Kendall refinery in Bradford, Pennsylvania
-1500 ppm zinc, 1400 ppm phosphorus

Just bought a case of the Brad Penn 10W30 from local oil company to use in my old Chevy. The oil is still dyed green, and the packaging is the the older style black bottles. Just saw your update, glad to know that the formula will remain the same with the new owners.

Guys if you haven't been over to the performance/racing part of the forum, my contact regarding the Penn Grade 1 product is out of the office on business until Tuesday. As soon as I hear back from him I'll post the newest info. Thanks again to everyone whose positively contributed to these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back