Huh? Certified A1/B1-04 but performs like A3/B3-04

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil Fuel Economy SAE 5W-30 is suitable for petrol and diesel engines, both turbocharged and naturally aspi rated, requiring an SAE 5W-30, API SL, ACEA A1/B1-04 or CCMC G5/PD2 – it also meets all the requirements of ACEA A3/B3-04 with the exception of the HTHS / shear stability viscosity." Source: http://www.texoleo.com/Imgs/produtos/import/OTFE5W305.pdf

Isn't the attraction of ACEA A3/B3-04 oils the HTHS aspect, or are there other features that are desirable? I'm not sure if this is just good marketing or maybe this is a pretty good oil after all?

Ed

ACEA 2004 sequences, huh? According to ACEA, oils meeting those 2004 sequences should not have been marketed/sold after December 2009.
smile.gif
A1/B1 has been dropped from the most recent ACEA sequences.

How old is this PDF? I'm guessing it's very old since it only mentions API SL. Does Toyota still sell this oil?

Anyway, yes, if you look at Lubrizol comparison charts, for 2004 sequences, there was some performance differences between A1/B1 and A3/B3, but not much.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
ACEA 2004 sequences, huh? According to ACEA, oils meeting those 2004 sequences should not have been marketed/sold after December 2009.
smile.gif
A1/B1 has been dropped from the most recent ACEA sequences.

How old is this PDF? I'm guessing it's very old since it only mentions API SL. Does Toyota still sell this oil?

Anyway, yes, if you look at Lubrizol comparison charts, for 2004 sequences, there was some performance differences between A1/B1 and A3/B3, but not much.

Pete,
I don't know how old it is...I wish I did.

I do find it pretty handy that they list all of the specs about the oil though.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back