Verizon - No longer offering E-Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john6974332
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does anyone have any evidence to support the claim that Gmail/Google isn't secure?

Yes. Google it. It's right in the Terms of Service...

+1 Google is a data mining machine, it's well known. Chrome's TOS sucks too. I use Firefox.

Soo my recommendations: Outlook, protonmail, [censored] even AOL mail (which is, ironically, owned by Verizon)

What proof do you have that all these other free email providers don't data mine?

Im pretty sure Gmail is still only major free email that scans the text of your e-mails to deliver relevant ads to you.

Outlook, Yahoo, AOL use your click habits and cookies and doesnt scan your emails text.

The trade off of course for your privacy is the above three places ads on your mail account, gmail mot.

I wouldn't worry about google running ad analytics on your gmail.

Almost every website on the internet is doing some kind of tracking cookie now.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Outlook, Yahoo, AOL use your click habits and cookies and doesnt scan your emails text.

Just because you don't see what they do with it doesn't mean they don't scan.

Im pretty sure Gmail is still only major free email that scans the text of your e-mails to deliver relevant ads to you.

The trade off of course for your privacy is the above three places ads on your mail account, gmail mot.

I do not get ads from Google and I use gmail for many years. I have a very good adblocker and there are Privacy Options in Google that allow gmail users plenty of privacy.

For those that desire total privacy, throw away your computer. Then you'll have it. If you want daily browsing use, then a percentage of loss of privacy is going to occur.

If you don't like it, unplug that computer and throw it away.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just because you don't see what they do with it doesn't mean they don't scan.

Quite honestly I am surprised to be reading posts like this from you.
Silly questions and challenges to me.
If you are challenging my statement prove me wrong.

But for EVERYONE to understand as clear as I can put it one last time.

1. GMAIL offers a free email service and free of ads. The PRICE YOU PAY is your privacy. When you sign up for GMAIL you AGREE to let google SCAN YOUR EMAILS for data and to deliver relevant ads to you.
GOOGLE/GMAIL is the ONLY major free mail provider that does this.

2. Microsoft/Outlook does NOT SCAN YOUR EMAIL for data. You pay no price for your privacy from Micorsoft other then the typical cookies that ALL companies use to deliver ads ...

3. Want proof? Look it up yourself, something you should have done when you clicked "I AGREE" in "Terms and Conditions" when signing up for "free" email.
ITS ALL IN THE DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS OF ANY PRODUCT YOU USE.

4. I find it amazing how younger people will give up their personal freedom for a free product. We are on a slippery slope and in a few generations one that they will pay dearly for.

To me personally, having a gmail account is no different then letting the postal service read my mail for a free stamp or my cell phone provider listening to my phone calls for free service.
We also allow government to store all our personal communications. Some day, future generations will pay.

By the way, before anyone replies, I am NOT knocking GMAIL, heck, I have a gmail account, rarely use it, mainly because my Android phone but I use my Outlook.com email, in fact have many outlook email addresses.

Nothing against gmail, I was just explaining the price you pay for it, just accept it or go to Microsoft, but dont tell me to prove it, read your terms and conditions yourself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TapRackBang
Interesting that the most of the recommendations are for the two email providers that have an abysmal record regarding your privacy, Yahoo and Gmail.

My first choice would be https://www.fastmail.com Besides email you get a nice calender and contacts, a bit of file storage and other benefits that are to long to list here and they have a good record regarding privacy.

My second choice would be https://runbox.com Just email without any frills hosted offshore and again, a good record regarding privacy.

Take care.

I used fastmail on and off years ago, only thing from what I see lately is it no longer is a free service.
One thing for sure, if its not free, that means you are not giving up you privacy and freedom.

I can see fastmail is now an independant private company. Opera owned them a few years. Its subscription only service. My only fear with smaller companies is that they stay in business! *L*

AS I think about this, thanks for your post, I might toy around with it again, its been years and ... well, $30 and you dont need to sell your privacy or get ads.
I also admin around a dozen websites, right now filtering down to an outlook.com email, might be worth messing around with fastmail for that as well.

Last edited:
2. Microsoft/Outlook does NOT SCAN YOUR EMAIL for data. You pay no price for your privacy from Micorsoft

You have the right to disagree, but I think you are being naive. As was mentioned earlier, if you don't pay for the product, then YOU ARE the product.

Originally Posted By: Microsoft
However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.

All this says is that Microsoft themselves does not use it to target ads to you. It does not say that they don't collect it and it does not say what they do with it afterwards. Are they selling it to other companies, for example?

I don't know if they do or if they don't, but again, the above excerpt from their privacy statement is no proof that your data is safe and will not be shared with anyone. Personally, I have no problem with it, but I am aware of the consequences.

Its all in your Terms Of Service.
They disclose what they use and how.

Here is google showing they scan your email.
"Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored. "

Sourse = Google Terms of Service

No other large free email service such as outlook scans your email, it can not be any more simple then that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I've had Yahoo Mail for over 10 years, Never an issue.

I've had mine for more than 10 years. I think once it was hacked (not that it was using a strong password).

I've thought of changing, but it's now in so many places that I don't remember them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back