jeep grand cherokee laredo forum..which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
my cousins (not rich, not smart,) purchased a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 recently. It is high mileage (100k?), repainted, has sat long enough they cleaned mouse nests out, leak in pan gasket?? supposedly "like new". what jeep forum to recommend and suggestions. I'LL probably be asked advice soon. 20 years old isn't new. Haven't found out price yet (haven't seen it yet) but was sitting behind repair shop until they raised the cash. This for his wife's daily driver. Thanks!

100k high mileage
crackmeup2.gif

Had I known of the deal, I would have bought it.
27.gif

No experience with mice nests, but the leaking pan gasket (transmission or oil pan) is nothing to be worried about. Easy fixes for both. Use ATF+4 for the transmission if that's what it is.

Make sure the tires and brakes are safe, change the oil to a 10w30 and just drive the thing. Get that engine hot.

Why not join multiple jeep forums? I've learned something from every forum I'm on...

You have around that time cracking piston skirts, substandard Teves calipers, cracked #331 head.

I liked my Jeep, fun to drive, great in snow, but was high maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You have around that time cracking piston skirts, substandard Teves calipers, cracked #331 head.

If the engine is original it probably still has the 0630 head, somewhat less prone to cracking. (Although I've had one that has cracked)

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Donald

If the engine is original it probably still has the 0630 head, somewhat less prone to cracking. (Although I've had one that has cracked)

Yepp, weak 0331 wasn't until 99-01 then in 02+ was stronger 0331 stamped "TUPY"

+2 jeep forum.com is a good forum I have gleaned a lot of good info on that site

just remember JEEP= just empty every pocket

My sons Jeep has put up with minnesota winters and summers here in chicago and it is still alive and ticking

Every time someone mentions the 4.0, the cylinder head comes up. The newest of these were produced 16 years ago, are they still cracking now? I would think by now they've all been replaced, or if it lasted this long it ain't crackin'.

The Teves caliper issue was with the early years of the WJ series ('99-'04) as opposed to the ZJ ('93-'98) so no worries there with a '97.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: meep
good luck. those gen 1's where always my favorite.

+1

Something about the way they handled and drove. I'll never forget driving a 1998 5.2L Grand Cherokee Limited. Comfortable ride, easy to maneuver, PLENTY of torque.

I would definitely join Jeepforum.com. I have been a member there for almost 10 years now. There are many members there who know these things inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back