Larger Filters? Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
How is running it risky at all outside of the unlikely event there is a failure that ruins the engine (subsequent legal battle) ?

Aside from that very unlikely event, I would see no risk at all.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
.....I just changed my oil on the new Fit the other day. M1-110 EP oil filter a good inch or so longer than the entry level filter that came off. (similar to a MicroGard or Pro Tec, STP sized tiny filter etc)....

Technically, I just got a larger filter. Vs OE?........

No, I don't believe you did. The M1-110 according to Xref would be the equivalent to spec Honda/Fit 7317/14610/57356 size.

If the 110 was/is ~1" longer, my best guess is that the previous installation used the shorty 6607/14612 size application. If done at a quick lube or some indies the downsizing consolidation of jobber filters to the smallest filter that will fit is common practice. This recent thread shows an example of a jobber filter which was downsized two application sizes. In your case it would have been one size down to the shorty shown.

It's somewhat ironic imo that with the all the discussion about upsizing and possible caveats, quick lubes using jobber filters downsize OE spec size filter applications as standard practice.

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
Royal purple states "absolutely no issues running a bigger filter"...for what its worth...

Is that shown on their website, or was that said by a RP tech on the phone?

Originally Posted By: 3311
[/quote]I believe the 2014 5.3 is a different engine. Specs 0w20 and higher flow oil pump.

The larger filter on the 5.3 is to catch all the additional wear particles from the eco swill 0w20.
grin2.gif

LOL

I'm glad my 2017 Silverado HD w/ the 6.0 L doesn't spec' that 'water' called 0W20.

If the every 3,000 miles OCI, I probably wouldn't be so concerned about using the smaller filter, but since using the OLS, I'm going about 7,500 miles w/ synthetic oil. I've used synthetic oil since my 1st truck w/ a OLS.

Some history

2000 GMC Sierra 2500 w/ 6.0 L & a PF61 'long' filter OCI according to OLS was around 5,000 miles (sold truck after 60,000 miles)

2004 Chev Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0 L & a PF61 'long' filter (PF61 'obsoleted'/replaced by PF46 'short' filter). Used the WIX 51522 after that) OCI was about 8,000 miles (sold truck after 126,000 miles)

2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0 L & a PF48 'short' filter. OCI was about 8,000 miles. I used either a PF63 (non e-core) or a WIX 57045. (sold after 75,000 miles)

After I go thru the 2 free oil changes, I'll either go w/ a PF63 or the WIX.

Last edited:
keep upsizing the filter like this and some cars will end up with a filter with more capacity than the sump. lol

I seem to recall @ the time, several oil filters were replaced by a shorter '1 size fits all' filter. Does anyone know if the shorter filters have better filtering media than the longer filters they replaced?

Sometimes the longer version will have slightly wider by-pass settings...as an example in some brands the FRAM PH8A equivalents will have by-pass settings of 8-16 psi, where as the shorter sized PH3600, and PH3614 have by-pass settings of 12-15 psi. My LX450 actually allows for either the larger PH8A, or the smaller PH3614. Recently, I have been running the in-between XG3600. I have never noticed a major difference between any of these 3 filter sizes. I believe the Toyota OEM filters are actually 8-11 psi for the by-pass (for the 90915-YZZD3).

One area I can see it making a difference is air cooled small engines like on tractors. I stuck a Fram Ultra on my Craftsman tractor running a Briggs & Stratton 24hp. This adds quite a bit of oil volume and surface area.

On my Troy Bilt tractor I use a full size filter as well on a Kohler Courage 22hp single. That Kohler has a notoriously bad track record, so I'm running a larger filter (more cooler oil), synthetic oil and a ZDDP additive. Guess we will know in a few years if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back