Failing a 2AZ oil consumption test

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the rings are gummed/stuck you don't want to clean em up.

NO Italian tuneup.

my cars do slurp M1 like its koolaide, put in cheap Peak 0W20 AND CONSUMPTION IS CUT IN 1/2.

Just got back from the alleged "appointment"

Apparently a master tech needs to start a consumption test, and the post 5pm appt was lube techs only

She also was disgruntled that it wasn't "their" car, neither sold nor serviced by them (I thought dealers moved on past this mentality?)

She also copped some serious attitude about 1qt every 600 miles being acceptable, and that owner needs to produce oil change records (I dispute both of these statements)

According to the test prescribed in the bulletin, if after 1100-1300 miles, 1qt does not bring it to the full dot, it warrants the rebuild

Rescheduled to Saturday, when "He has to leave it" and "It might take all day"

Island Toyota on Staten Island, thumbs down so far
31.gif

I've had my ups and downs with this dealer before, they are horrendously inconsistent

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I've got a 2007 RAV4 with this engine, just turned 90k. After reading about all the oil burning issues with this engine I keep holding my breath, so far so good. Before this last OCI I'd notice a small amount of consumption after doing extended 80-85mph driving but nothing remotely at the rate of 1 qt per 1500 miles or whatever. Nevertheless I was concerned that it was the start of a problem. Then this last OCI I went from Castrol 5w20 EP to plain old Napa conventional 5w20 and after 600 miles (400 of which was 80-85 mph) it looks like it didn't burn a drop. So maybe it's NOT the start of a problem after all. Don't know why it would use a bit of the Castrol and not the Napa but I'll be curious to see if that continues.

Back to this 2AZFE oil burning issue, is this inevitable or is it somehow just a portion of those engines? I don't recall my dealer ever mentioning this as an item, I assume the would mention it as part of their recalls when the look up my VIN when I bring it in? There have been a bunch of recalls on this vehicle but I don't recall anything about this being mentioned.

https://www.google.com/search?q=T-SB-015...me&ie=UTF-8

Those first 3 PDF links will give you all the info you need to know about 2AZ oil consumption, and the extended warranty on it

The model years for the Toyota/Scion warranty enhancement for excessive oil consumption was extended to some newer models.
Most notably, the Scion XB, through the last production year, 2015.

The VIN cutoff number on the XB is:

JTLZE4FE?FJ 069331

The warranty enhancement goes to 10 years or 150,000 miles from first date of service.

In either case, you have to flunk (pass?) Toyota's oil consumption test of at least a quart within 1200 miles.

07-09 Camry
07-11 Camry hybrid
07-08 Camry Solara
09-11 Corolla (2AZ)
09-13 Matrix (2AZ)
06-08 RAV4
07-10 Scion TC
08-15 Scion XB

To the OP:

In order to minimize oil consumption one could choose to do the following:
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Do not operate the engine at high RPM and high manifold vacuum concurrently.

For example; using the engine to do some braking such as going down a mountain or steep grade in a manually selected lower than normal gear.
Be careful not to red line the engine while doing this!!

Another similar operating condition that aggravates oil consumption is accelerating to the speed limit while in a manually selected lower than normal gear, then letting off the gas for a distance, then repeating.
Again be cautious not to red line the engine.

YMMV
57.gif

Good day.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Before they put the tamper resistant tape on there have him demand he sees the oil level to be sure it wasn't overfilled.

That's where I'd go. Take a snap shot of the dipstick level. Let them tape it up. The car has a low oil minder, does it not? Just keep an eye on it.

Yes they'll seal the motor. If you are worried about low oil, go by the dealer and have them take off the tape and check it. They can add if necessary and note it on the test form. They'll reseal the engine and away you go. Get another snap shot.

As long as they know you're photographing the test, they'll be good about being in compliance.

Yeah, you can leave it out of OD and drive it with the AC on all the time. But Toyota's have black boxes. They can call up the driving regimen and look it over. If it's odd, they'll question it. Why even go there ...

Last edited:
Black box? I don't think there's anything that can log data for more than the few seconds before a crash, they usually write a loop of data and only save if the vehicle is involved in a collision.

Originally Posted By: hank2
The model years for the Toyota/Scion warranty enhancement for excessive oil consumption was extended to some newer models.
Most notably, the Scion XB, through the last production year, 2015.

The VIN cutoff number on the XB is: JTLZE4FE?FJ 069331

The warranty enhancement goes to 10 years or 150,000 miles from first date of service.

In either case, you have to flunk (pass?) Toyota's oil consumption test of at least a quart within 1200 miles.

I did not know this. Thanks.
So far no consumption on my 2012 xB, but only 35,000 miles on it so far. Will keep an eye on it for sure.
I know the consumption problems start around 60,000 from what I have read.
I plan on having this car for a long time, and even if it starts it will probably be well past the warranty period.
Hopefully, me using a syn oil and 5000 mile OCI will help.

My truck uses 1 qt every 1500 miles and have no problem adding oil to it as needed, so no big deal.

I also just found when looking up my VIN on the Toyota website that my xB has a recall on the passenger side airbag (Takata inflator). No fix yet, recall issued January 9, 2017.

As for the OP, if it has been using oil (> 1 qt every 1100-1300 miles) for a while, just keep driving it the same and it will meet the criteria for rebuild.
I would be wary of the dealer, the visit you had to them already did not seem to go well. Checking the dipstick before sealing it would be a good idea if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back