clutch spline grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I use a lithium complex grease or engine assembly lube with graphite for the clutch spline? I've read that very little if any grease is require here. Maybe I should just look at using an anti-seize? Also what about the release hub grease for the fork and pivot?

Last edited:
Thank you sir for the link. I thought I had already searched for spline grease on Amazon; maybe it was Sachs that pulled it up.
Do you think I can use that grease for the fork and pivot? Toyota refers to that particular grease as release hub grease and shows a different part number for it, of which they don't carry, of course.

Thank you Trav for the second link and for the other two gentlemen who provided good information; just what I needed to know!

What would be the reason for using a grease in this application? I've done a few clutch changes over the years and never seen any reason to grease the splines?

FWIW, the clutch kits I usually buy come with a small packet of spline grease not unlike the little packets that are usually lined up on a rack at the parts store counter. I use it, figuring that the clutch manufacturer would supply an appropriate grease. I just squirted it on my fingers and put an almost imperceptible amount on the splines. Failing that, I wold hesitate to use a small amount of any good synthetic grease. The disk should slide pretty freely on the splines-I've always thought that the main purpose of greasing was to prevent the disk from sticking in disuse.

I've never lubricated the release bearing pivots themselves. They don't move a lot, the release bearing can run hot, and with the heat in mind it's a bit too close to the friction surface for my comfort.

The bearing forks I've handled had a self-lubricating bronze bushing in them. I usually buy a replacement bushing if I don't have one on hand, but have rarely needed to change one.

I should also mention that most of my clutch experience is related to one particular make of car, but a lot of the basic premises are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back