A high milage 2005 Toyota Sienna AWD Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6031353642.html

I had a good experience with my 1997 Toyota Previa AWD Super Charge minivan that I bought from a dealer with 24K miles in 1998. It reached 192K miles with a blown head gasket probably due to the super charger being hard on a 4 cylinder engine. I was hoping the engine would last 300K miles. I hated to see it go to a charity organization since it never let my family down especially during blizzards. I come across a high mileage (187K miles) 2005 Toyota Sienna AWD Limited with stability control on Craigslist (see above link). I never have any experience with newer Toyota models and heard that its quality and reliability are not as good as before. I asked the owner by email about common problems of that model year who stated that both sliding doors were repaired by a dealer under recall and one sliding door moves slower in cold weather. Other than that there are no other issues. From the photos the owner seems to take good care of it and bought another Sienna due to his good owner experience.

I have not yet arranged a test drive; but, just want you guys' opinions especially with ownership of Sienna minivans. I am thinking of driving it (if I decide to buy it) to WV from MD and back (400 miles round trip) twice a month on a twisted and mountain highway often covered with snow in winter. I really do not like too many electronic bells and whistles; but, unfortunately the first generation of Sienna did not have AWD option. Thanks.

Last edited:
If its man made, you really can't count on anything...I think the term high mileage leaves a million definitions to all drivers...like on an 18 wheeler , 500k to 1million miles is high, but usually comes with a bearing replacement and head gaskets job.

So my point is,,,why not advertise high years of Useage Oil, instead of high mileage ads only. My grandfathers autos he kept for 15 to 20 years like yours. But he ran simple cars, no epa junk, just old simple carburetors, and ignitions that ran and ran...yep, imho,,,oil should have ads and say for higher year autos as many do not have over 150k miles like my 2005 buick LaSabre, under 150k so far, lol. Its all in the definitions and how we define what truly is High Mileage and what is High Years of Useage...just saying...

Last edited:
Toyota V6 check for timing cover leaks facing engine at top left hand side where cover and head meet. Re-seal job cost lots.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Toyota V6 check for timing cover leaks facing engine at top left hand side where cover and head meet. Re-seal job cost lots.

Yup, but that's on the newer chain driven engines especially the early 2GR-FEs. The Original Poster has a 3MZ-FE in his, so no timing cover to worry about. Although, re-sealing the lower valley pan isn't a cheap job on the 3MZ either.

Last edited:
Talking about the one he linked, the 2005 Sienna. Yes I see it has the 3.3L. The 3.5L(timing cover leaker) was in 2007 according to Wiki. Carry on.

I'd say if it checks out that it should serve you very well. We've got a 2010 (last year of that generation, but with the 3.5)
It gets decent mileage (in the neighborhood of 22-24 Interstate) and is huge in back. The Limited should have lots of features that we don't have (leather, auto climate control, auto lights, DIC etc.) The overall quality is pretty good, although there is a bit of road noise. Cupholders (although there are 14!) are either ill-placed, ill-sized, or poorly designed. There is tons of storage, although the middle seats must come out (don't stow into the floor). The glovebox tends to randomly pop open. Other than these quirks, I think you'll enjoy the Sienna. It's a pretty good car, and all the better if you can find a well-maintained one. Over the 125 we've had it, it's been pretty near trouble-free.

Offer $5k and see what happens. My friend has the exact same van minus AWD and it was quite impressive. The ride was incredible and the seats had buttery soft leather. If it was taken care of, it's a keeper. Remember the 3MZ takes premium and has a timing belt that will likely need replaced at 200k.

My mother in law has a second gen Sienna approaching 200k miles and it's been rock solid (except for eating front brake rotors). Hers is not AWD so that's the only thing I would be concerned about.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
Remember the 3MZ takes premium and has a timing belt that will likely need replaced at 200k.

The 3MZ-FE does fine on regular - Toyota did rate them on premium. Timing belts on these are decently doable - the only PITA is timing the rear/right hand cam before installing the new belt.

My parents almost bought one, they decided on getting a simpler LE FWD model. I see a lot of these in suburbia and in Tahoe as well.

Last edited:
The owner was very upfront and told me the two front tires had 5k miles on them while the rear 15k miles. I remember Toyota warned the Previa AWD owners to rotate tires every 3k miles to have 4 even worn tires to prevent damage on the AWD system. So, I did some research on the tire issues with Sienna which turned out there were a lot of owners complaining about premature tire wear including both FWD and AWD versions. I also called the owner of a local garage specialized in Toyota who used to maintain my Previa. He strongly warned me to stay away from Sienna especially the AWD version, which was one of the Toyota models that was not up to Toyota's reputation in reliability. Therefore, I cancelled the test drive with that Sienna owner at the last moment because spending one thousand dollars on a set of 4 run-flat tires every year would drive me nuts. I am totally wrong in assuming Sienna is as reliable as Previa. Now I am looking for a used high mileage Highlander AWD, 4Runner with 4WD, or Land Cruiser even though I really prefer a reliable used AWD minivan.

Last edited:
What's with the AWD mandate? You don't need it. A FWD minivan does great in the snow on AS tires because all the weight is on the nose. If you're really wonky about it, throw some blizzaks on it and you'll be the envy of every mommy-mobile out there as you zip by them in snow and ice.

When we bought our 2012 FWD Sienna, I test drove the AWD version. It has RFTs because the driveshaft to the rear eliminates space for the spare tire, which is something you really ought to have. It handled very sluggishly while the FWD had very light (dare I say "female") steering and a "light-on-its-feet" driving feel. The 6/6 drivetrain in this vehicle may be one of the finest engine/transmission packages ever built. Smooth and torquey. Just right for a loaded down vacation hauler or anything else you want to do with it. I love the middle seats that go back so far, I can stretch my legs straight out and not touch the back of the front seats, and I'm 6'-5". We have 60,000 miles on this car now with nothing but oil changes (every 10,000 miles!) and a second set of tires. Still on the OE brakes. The trans is flawless and yet to be serviced. Oh yeah, the antenna just broke in the car wash. This may be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

So, forget AWD and forget 2005. Spend a bit more and get a 2012 FWD. You won't regret it.

BTW, they're made in Indiana so they have to be good! Take a tour of the Princeton plant next time you're in the neighborhood. Impressive.

Last edited:
Awd does give the van a distinct advantage when they are loaded with people and gear. The weight balance is thrown off so it's no longer nose heavy.

Even with winter tires they my friends FWD with snows struggles up to out local area on snow covered access road loaded with 4 kids three adults and gear. My friends AWD sienna motors up with decent all seasons. No idea of the use case but winter tires while helpful does not equal AWD climbing ski access roads.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Awd does give the van a distinct advantage when they are loaded with people and gear. The weight balance is thrown off so it's no longer nose heavy.

Even with winter tires they my friends FWD with snows struggles up to out local area on snow covered access road loaded with 4 kids three adults and gear. My friends AWD sienna motors up with decent all seasons. No idea of the use case but winter tires while helpful does not equal AWD climbing ski access roads.

+1 If you need AWD for certain roads then you need it. Not all fwd vehicles have the weight distribution of 1990 Buick with a 3.8l block of iron in front of the axle, and tin foil body work behind it.

Originally Posted By: sifan
The owner was very upfront and told me the two front tires had 5k miles on them while the rear 15k miles. I remember Toyota warned the Previa AWD owners to rotate tires every 3k miles to have 4 even worn tires to prevent damage on the AWD system. So, I did some research on the tire issues with Sienna which turned out there were a lot of owners complaining about premature tire wear including both FWD and AWD versions.

A friend's mom bought a Sienna Limited AWD, she wanted a Forester or GLE/ML but needed room for stuff and a traditional truck-based SUV like a Tahoe/Suburban or Expedition wouldn't work for her. She drove for Uber on the side and was chewing up pricey Bridgestone Turanza/Driveguard run-flats which made her stop driving the van, they now only use it for trips to the mountains. With a Sienna AWD, I'd advise following Subaru rules on those even though it's an "add-on" AWD system, it's not too far off from their system being based on a viscous center diff/coupling.

Minivans are naturally rough on tires - there's some weird camber on those amongst other things, and minivans tend to use relatively "tall" tires to provide sufficient load capacity and ride comfort and while the tire makers are making long-life tires, they haven't addressed the shoulder wear that is so common on minivans. We had a Nissan Quest that chewed through tires - the shoulders were shot before the rest of the tire was due.

Honda calls for an oddball 235/65-16 or 235/65-17 tire, Toyota's using sizes close to the Lexus RX on the Siennas. Back in day, minivans called for a 195/75-14, 205/70-15 or 215/70-15. All common domestic sizes.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Hills? What are hills?

Just come driving with your FWD vehicle on I-68 West en route to West Virginia University on a blizzard night in winter when the highway crew is caught by surprise and has not got the chance to plow the pavement or spread salt. Also, you should have a tour driving through the university campus and its neighborhood, which were built on top of hills, once you get there where roads are not cleaned and sidewalks are covered with ice in the middle of night. Don't be surprised to see cars flipped over the uphill ramps or slipped crashing into guard rails with engine fire under the bulging hoods on the way there.

I encountered above scenario when I took my son there to start his freshman year. My wife's Subaru Outback with AWD and ABS saved the night. If AWD could help me not get stranded just once, it were well worth its price IMHO.

My Previa with AWD and a set of all season tires once passed a Camry stuck in the middle of an icy uphill with ease. At that time it was carrying two adults and 3 children. There is no substitute for AWD when it comes to severe weather conditions.

I'm surprised by your mechanics comments, everyone I know that has one of this vintage says they are rock solid ( including myself), way better than any other van of that vintage.

We specifically sought out and purchased a 2006 LE model with 80K miles on it last year. I wanted the 3.3 motor vs the 3.5 that is in the 07-2010's. We've put about 6K miles on it and its been great so far. It rides great, the drive train is SUPER smooth and its pretty good on gas. My neighbor also has a 06 with 140K miles on it with zero major issues.

Two weak points in these vans are: 1)The rack and pinion seals leak and you have to replace the rack. 2) The sliding door cables are weak and break if not maintained.

We happened to find a van that had low miles and had both of these weak points corrected.

Lastly, I'm not sure you NEED AWD. Ours is FWD and did OK in its first MN winter. I'll probably throw some snow's on it next year but it did good even in a blizzard we drove through going from MN to CO last week.

Originally Posted By: Huie83

Lastly, I'm not sure you NEED AWD. Ours is FWD and did OK in its first MN winter. I'll probably throw some snow's on it next year but it did good even in a blizzard we drove through going from MN to CO last week.

Surviving in a snow belt state with a FWD vehicle doesn't prove AWD should be overlooked. When I lived in Erie, PA, I had to walk a mile to catch a school bus even with a foot of snow on sidewalk. Here in the D.C. Metro area a forecast of 1 inch or more of snow accumulation or freezing rain will prompt the county governments to close their public schools. When the former President Obama, who came from Chicago, IL, experienced the first winter in D.C., he thought the D.C. area residents were wimps in coping with snow. It is just a matter of how the local governments handle the snow situation.

Let me explain my experience with blizzards here in Montgomery County, MD, one of the richest counties in U.S. The interstate highways has the highest priority for snow removal, then next the local emergency snow routes, and the roads in the residential area are always the last. If there were a forecast of possible snow, the main roads including highways would be pre-treated with salt before a single snow flake dropping to the ground. But, we all know the weather forecast is never 100% accurate. For example, on that Saturday afternoon when a severe thunder storm was expected and people were going out shopping as usual, then the temperature suddenly dropped below freezing. A severe thunder storm turned into a blizzard. The county government was caught off guard without prepping the streets with salt in advance this time. In no time all streets were cover with a layer of ice due to heavy traffic. A normal 20 minute drive home from Costco became an hour ordeal because vehicles were stuck on incline streets (creating traffic jams) like how I passed a stuck Camry outside Costco. Well, the story did not end here. By the time I got off the main road and turned into a side road that led to my neighborhood, there was about a foot of snow on the ground. I vividly remember there were two vehicles including a SUV (probably FWD) stuck in the middle of the road and the drivers were frantically digging them out unsuccessfully because their vehicles could not climb up. Both vehicles were eventually abandoned until few days later the county truck finally showed up to clear the snow off the road. Again my Previa AWD passed them effortlessly and brought my entire family home safely. If we (including 3 little children) were stuck there, we would have to walk the last half mile to get home and none of us were wearing snow boots and heavy coats.

I have driven my FWD Toyota Echo (no ABS) on the Capitol Beltway many time under heavy snow on the way home from work without getting stuck because the highway crew is always diligently clearing snow. I just drove slowly and extra carefully under poor visibility. Fortunately I have not got stuck with my Echo so far, and have not been caught driving in blizzards. Anyway here in D.C. Metro area if blizzards were coming, people would stay home.

AWD and ABS are good safety measures against unexpected severe weather conditions. Bringing my family home safely under such a condition is priceless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back