Recommend a friend of mine a scan tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wants a good scan tool that can do at least engine trans abs and possibly air bag stuff to. Doesn't want to break the bank but having a good amount of info would be great. Doesn't want to spend snap on prices. Something android based or what have you is fine. Doesn't need to do German cars either just American and Japanese and Korean .

The higher models from Actron and Innova would be good choices
thumbsup2.gif

I assume that he's in a shop environment?

Autel Maxisys MS906TS. Great tool for the generalist and good functionality for the money. You can get one for just a few bucks more than a software update for your Snap-On scanner.

Naturally, it is a good practice to have 1 general scan tool and OE tooling for the vehicle lines that you work on most. OE tooling and aftermarket tooling are not on the same level.

So is this for a shop or just DIY. My DIY which I like now is the X431 Launch EasyDiag. They're about $58 on eBay. Works with android or iphone. Works fine on my German car, reads pretty much all sub systems and can clear them, but doesn't have any ability to program the car like more advanced units. The plus version comes with software for 2 vehicle manufacturers.

He wants something that will do live data like misfire counters. If it could program some modules that would be awesome but probably not a definite requirement. He wants one that has the ability to test like cooking fans and actuate certain actuators and what not

Autel DS708 Automotive OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool Code Reader Key Coding & Multilanguage System

The Scanpad071

Found both of these on amazin for between 700-800 that would be a great price range any knowledge on these?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Autel DS708 Automotive OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool Code Reader Key Coding & Multilanguage System

The Scanpad071

Found both of these on amazin for between 700-800 that would be a great price range any knowledge on these?

DS708 is being discontinued in favor of newer models.

If that's your price range, your best bet is to find a used MS905. There's plenty of info on Autel on iATN.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I assume that he's in a shop environment?

Autel Maxisys MS906TS. Great tool for the generalist and good functionality for the money. You can get one for just a few bucks more than a software update for your Snap-On scanner.

Naturally, it is a good practice to have 1 general scan tool and OE tooling for the vehicle lines that you work on most. OE tooling and aftermarket tooling are not on the same level.

Yeah I think the Autel meets your expectations. Not many of the cheaper options handle airbag issues and also not even sure they can work with ABS issues.

Autel is getting to be pretty decent and is a good bang for the buck tool.

One of their models will be my next scan tool purchase in place of the Snap On scanners I have now.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Autel is getting to be pretty decent and is a good bang for the buck tool.

One of their models will be my next scan tool purchase in place of the Snap On scanners I have now.

Which one are you looking at, pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back