Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did receive a message in return to my message regarding the "new" Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil. Brad Penn as a brand was indeed acquired by D-A Lubricants approximately two years ago, and within the next month or so we should be seeing the new bottles with the new name. Following are some key notes on the product.

-The formula has not changed
-The Penn Grade 1 is still being produced and bottled in Bradford, Pennsylvania at the old Kendall refinery
-1500ppm zinc, 1400 ppm phosphorus
-This change is in parent company ownership only, as the Penn products are identical to what was Brad Penn

I'm going to call back tomorrow regarding grades and to verify the color is indeed still green, and if Garak is watching, I'll inquire about this oil in a 5W-30. Does anyone have anything you'd like to be asked that I haven't covered?

Post a summary of all the info back in the original thread please
smile.gif

Penn Grade 1 is not just used in race cars. It gets used in built daily drivers too
laugh.gif

then we need to do this for Sta-Lube Racing Oil ... Remember the bright blue oil
smile.gif

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...&ajaxhist=0

Last edited:
OK Broc just because you asked I'll summarize this in the original post.

SatinSilver, you can do a Google image search and you'll see Brad Penn being poured from the bottle. I'll humor you here and post a pic of me pouring Kendall into a Napa Gold oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'm going to call back tomorrow regarding grades and to verify the color is indeed still green, and if Garak is watching, I'll inquire about this oil in a 5W-30. Does anyone have anything you'd like to be asked that I haven't covered?

Sounds pretty cool to me!

I remember you talking about wanting a high ZDDP 5W-30 for the old Ford, and until recently Defy fit that bill. I'm pretty sure Brad Penn didn't have a Penn Grade 1 5W-30, but it never hurts to ask. I myself am interested in whether or not they'll continue to produce two mongrade 30 wt oils. There was a break in 30 and a high ZDDP 30wt for regular use.

You my friend are awesome. I may try some of that 0W-30 next winter. I'll ask about it tomorrow. Well Garak, there you go. They do make a high ZDDP 0W and 5W-30.

Great link, I highly recommended anyone interested in this oil to check out the PDF above.

By any chance, did you see a PDF regarding the monogrades?

Monograde PDS: http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/bp_pb/7139_40_15_17_BP_PG1_Monograde_HP_Oils_PB.pdf

Break-in 30 - http://www.penngrade.com/09a6cc8416_sites/penngrade.com/files/7120_PG1_Break-in_Oil.pdf

Link to newer PDS/SDS sheets: http://www.penngrade.com/PDS-SDS-.html

Note that the previous linked PDFs may contain obsolete info. I have not cross checked any of it.

You my friend are awesome. I may try some of that 0W-30 next winter. I'll ask about it tomorrow. Well Garak, there you go. They do make a high ZDDP 0W and 5W-30.

Great link, I highly recommended anyone interested in this oil to check out the PDF above.

By any chance, did you see a PDF regarding the monogrades?

Garak, which flash points are you referring to? I'll agree that 425 for the SAE 30 seemed a tad low, as most other 30wt flashpoints are around 450-470. Still, in the grand scheme of things, does that really make a difference?

Also, what do you think of the 0W-30?

OK guys I called back and Ken is out of the office until Tuesday on a business trip. Stay tuned as I will address the questions posted here. I myself was really hoping to hear something today.

OK guys I called back and Ken is out of the office until Tuesday on a business trip. Stay tuned as I will address the questions posted here. I myself was really hoping to hear something today.

35.gif

Red... yes I was asking about the Motorcycle oil. I've used it in the past and IIRC they changed the 20/50 to a mineral oil but said the 10/40 was partial synthetic. Thanks again.

OK I'll ask about their base oil in the motorcycle oil. Interesting tibit of info, when I dialed the extension to Ken's office the location pulls up as Bradford, Pennsylvania.
smile.gif
it does appear D-A Lubricants has left the fine folks in Bradford to their devices and have only changed the bottle and simplified the brand name. As soon as I hear back from them I'll post the info here. Sorry to keep you waiting, and I appreciate everyone whose positively contributed to this thread.

Garak, which flash points are you referring to? I'll agree that 425 for the SAE 30 seemed a tad low, as most other 30wt flashpoints are around 450-470. Still, in the grand scheme of things, does that really make a difference?

Also, what do you think of the 0W-30?

I was referring to most of them really, but I'm used to Delvac 1's 249 C flashpoint, and that is uncommonly high. But, of course, it really wouldn't make a difference. I'm looking for something that performs appropriately within the grade, notably at the cold side of things. The 0w-30 would be just dandy.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back