Typical small engine lifespan in hrs. (5-25hp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people I know, myself included, consider a good healthy life for an automobile gasoline engine to be 200-300k with good maintenence before needing major mechanical repair/overhaul. Obviously there is the potential for greater longevity with very particular maintenance and careful operation, but I'm looking at purely averages with normal maintenence.

Is there a similar expectation most people would agree on when it comes to small engines, the single & twin cylinder gas engines you find on OPE and mobile machinery applications? With few exceptions, these are almost always carbureted.

We have a fleet of gas welders where I work, most are driven by a Kohler Command CH18 or CH20 twin cylinder engine. 600cc or so, IIRC. Some older ones have/had Onan flathead twins. For whatever reason, our operators usually give up on them and begin pushing for replacements around 5k hours. The engines usually still run fine at this age, but this is often where they begin smoking a little, might start burning oil, perhaps be a little noisier, but otherwise run fine. I can't think of any examples where one has outright died, but we've had one bend a pushrod (no idea why), a couple with carburetor issues, a broken choke, little stuff like this happens but no major failures that I know of.

Typical maintenance is oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter all get replaced every 100-150 hours. Oil used is mostly 10w-30 or 10w-40 o'Reilly brand PCMO. Spark plugs only when they're so worn they exhibit misfire symptoms. Some machines will get in the hands of an operator that does zero maintenance, so they may go an interval on occasion where its next service is only when the oil pressure sender shuts the engine down when it reads low oil pressure. That's happened a few times but is not typical. Oem suggests 50 hrs interval for oil, 100 for filter. Having done many of the oil changes myself, I feel 50 hours is a bit premature, the oil has very little color to it (hardly looks used) when drained at that interval, but I know that color is not the most useful indicator.

Still, most every engine makes it to around 5k and then they're largely given up on. I think equates to about 5-6 years. Would you guys consider this premature, or is one really getting their money's worth replacing the equipment/engine after 5k hours. What would you consider a 'good' lifespan for these types of engine, and when would you expect to see major mechanical issues with regular maintenance.

In this application (welder/generator), it is very low duty cycle. I would surmise that a given machine spends 4-6 hours idling (idle speed is 2400 rpm) in a workday, for every 2 hours spent welding which is probably half throttle at 3600rpm.

It's a Kohler Command, in a controlled environment, never being pushed hard. Lifespan of it versus some cheap junk mounted on a normal consumer-level application (mower, for example) is apples/oranges.

Commercial grade small engine 2-3000hrs easily for a typical Honda GX motor, twin cylinders with an oil filter and cooler could go twice that if maintained well. Consumer grade chicom engines might last that long or they might be toast after 500hrs or sooner.

Asa thumb rule from someone that see a lot of gensets here what Ive observed- YMMV.

We see a range of 5 to about 8K hours out of most air cooled onan gensets here in So cal. Its rare to see 10K due to overheating.

The Honda and yamaha and robin subaru gensets (japanese) seem to do better with 10 to 20 - I read one guy claimed 20K hours on his yamaha before he re ringed and pistoned it.

I have yet to see a well maintained worn out Kubota Diesel in a genset and Ive seen them in the high 20K hours.

I understand mower are harder on them.

The Cat 3011C's in some gensets and Thermo kings have 30-40K and still run - it normal for the engine to outlast the compressor

UD

Last edited:
I wonder if my John Deere with a B&S 20HP twin engine will last 2,500 hours? OIl and oil filter & air filter changed at 30 to 50 hours. Home owner mowing 1/2 acre. Ed

I thought they were rated at 350 - 500 hrs (8HP Tecumseh snowking): Per my owners engine Manual.

That s LOT of hours for a snow thrower.

I run mime ave under 10hrs / season

I got 23 years on it. So that's 230 hrs.

watercooled, under-stressed engines with pressure lube should last approx. 3500-5000 depending on usage.

I'd say 5K is a good rule of thumb for selling and replacing. Gotta look at the accountants spread sheet. Depreciation schedule, residual sale value, cost of repair for another 2K may not be in the cards... Then there are the welder-side issues. Bearings, brushes, contactors, etc.

Prolly get good money used at 5K. By 8~10K the ressale prolly dries up and you've put a grand worth of parts and labor into it to keep it going ...

Around here 5k is average life span of most small twins,but Onans usually go to 8K. They were built better back then than what i see today, Kubotas diesels, i have admit, go on forever, 15k is common

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I wonder if my John Deere with a B&S 20HP twin engine will last 2,500 hours? OIl and oil filter & air filter changed at 30 to 50 hours. Home owner mowing 1/2 acre. Ed

It will take a LONG time at 1/2 acre per mow.

The opposed Briggs twins with the oil filter have a pressurized crank and will last well over 1000 hours, if the carb lasts that long.

The V-twin Briggs (made in USA) engines don't seem do make it past 500 before using a lot of oil.
The Vanguard V-twins (made in Japan) will last well over 200 hours.

To the OP, 5000 hours from your Kohler welders is phenomenal!
Replace as needed, but rebuild the old ones to have a "swap out" program.

Well, if all their problem is a little smoke, noise & oil consumption, I think stepping up to a good monograde HDEO appropriate for your climate could net you a few hundred (thousand) hours at that point.

Aluminum bore Briggs engines about 700 hours. Cast iron cylinder liner Briggs engines about 2000 hours. Honda GX about 3000 hours. A lot of different variables here though. Was the engine used on a mower, pressure washer, pump, welder, etc? Did it receive regular oil changes or just the factory fill and top up oil?

In my experience you should expect 2000 hours, and in most cases it will run beyond that, but not in every case. Good maintenance is the key for extending the life. 3000 hours is usually it regardless.

IMO, we're talking completely different things comparing a welder, generator or refrigeration system engine to something like a mower engine.

Engines attached to welders, gens or refrig units typically run at lower RPM and fuel burn rates, thus easily can last 4x as long as something on a riding mower.

2000-3000hrs is getting way up there even on a commercial quality mower, provided it's air cooled. Liquid cooled or diesels obviously go longer, but they better given the cost of them new.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

The Vanguard V-twins (made in Japan) will last well over 200 hours.

Im sure you meant 2000, but have a 16HP Vanguard at work with one piston that no longer reciprocates. My thought is it pulled the bolts out of the rod cap as the rod didn't get flung out the crankcase. In fact, it still tries to run. It probably has less than 200 hours on it. I'd love to tear it down, but its going back to the manuf. as its under warranty.

Originally Posted By: JTK
IMO, we're talking completely different things comparing a welder, generator or refrigeration system engine to something like a mower engine.

Engines attached to welders, gens or refrig units typically run at lower RPM and fuel burn rates, thus easily can last 4x as long as something on a riding mower.

2000-3000hrs is getting way up there even on a commercial quality mower, provided it's air cooled. Liquid cooled or diesels obviously go longer, but they better given the cost of them new.

I dont know about that. Almost all of the gasoline powered generators/welders are going to be running 3600RPM, just like a mower at full throttle. If its a diesel, yeah its probably running 1800rpm, but thats not always true. I found a Onan 5kw Diesel running a 2-pole 3600RPM generator. It was belt driven off a 2cyl Kubota running 3000rpm, so probably a little up speed on the belt drive.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I dont know about that. Almost all of the gasoline powered generators/welders are going to be running 3600RPM, just like a mower at full throttle. If its a diesel, yeah its probably running 1800rpm, but thats not always true. I found a Onan 5kw Diesel running a 2-pole 3600RPM generator. It was belt driven off a 2cyl Kubota running 3000rpm, so probably a little up speed on the belt drive.

That's true and I shouldn't have said 'RPM'. Thing is, they can typically achieve those RPM levels at less throttle, so their fuel burn rates are lower. Lifespan of an engine (compared engine to engine) is directly related to the amount of fuel run through it.

With 17 hp vtwin air cooled kawasakis on mowers with regular maint 25 hr air filter service and 100 hr oil changes we get 2500-3500 hours then they need new rings and valves and valve springs. these motors have simple air filter system the larger kawasakis have the optional dual filter canister like a kubota diesel and I would expect to get more life from those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back