5w30 HM vs 10w40 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My highlander has 160K and there is a loss of 0.75Q over 7.5K OCI and it has had synthetic all throughout.
There is absolutely no leaks whatsoever from any part of the engine.

I am thinking of moving over to 5w30HM to reduce oil loss or 10W40.

Pl. chime in your thoughts

That's oil consumption is very good for the mileage and is typical from normal engine wear. I would try the Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 first and see if it changes anything but nothing abnormal is going on.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Has the pcv valve been replaced with an oem version lately?

I never ever had to replace the PCV, I remove it at every 60K, rinse it nicely with brake cleaner and put it back.

Though since you mentioned I don't remember the last time I did this, I need to go check my log book

I may settle down with M1 5w30 HM and stick with it till EOL on the vehicle, my wife is insisting on a new one and my head is rolling at the prices of these luxury SUVs.

She is bent on dying having driven a MB, and wants a ML350. I am scared about maintaining a over engineered Euro vehicle (water cooled alternators etc, all garbage) and giving her all the good things about Japanese vehicles. I want her to settle down with an RX or MDX, well we may finally go with a ML

.75 quarts over 7,500 miles, I say run 5w30 high mileage. I have switched from 10w30 to 10w40 high mileage in my CRX, but it uses around 1.5 quarts over 5,000 miles.

Thats not oil loss. Thats normal. Idk what you expect to gain by changing anything.

You're using less than a qt in 7500 miles.
This is nothing to worry about.
I would not change anything.
You're getting a new overpriced SUV anyway it seems.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I may settle down with M1 5w30 HM and stick with it till EOL

M1 5w30 HM (cSt 12.1) should work well as a nice thick 30. I have had good luck with Valvoline 5w-40 (cSt 13.1) in a Toyota 3.5, seems to deaden the noise on the old sewing machine a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back