Trying to decide - Castrol 5W-30 -vs Castrol 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to carefully analyze a couple of Castrol oils for use in my truck.

I have a 2004, 2WD Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 motor which has appx. 171,000 miles and runs great. I obtained the truck with appx. 155,000 miles on it and I have no idea what was used in it before I owned the vehicle. The factory specs call for a 5W-30 grade oil, so I switched to Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 and a Fram Ultra filter when I took possession.

Walmart has the Castrol EDGE Extended 0W-40 "European" (Made in Belgium) that I'm thinking of switching to (because my local store has stopped carrying the 5W-30). It looks like a great oil and it's BMW Longlife-04 as well as Porsche A40 approved.

I'm specifically trying to understand the Sulphated Ash measurement of 0.8 and its effect on a motor that burns American gas -vs European gas? *If* I understand the Sulphated Ash measurement, the lower the value means it's easier on your catalytic converter but you (at least theoretically) sacrifice some of the anti-wear components of the oil, is this correct?

What's a "high" Sulphated Ash measurement -vs a "medium" or "low" Sulphated Ash measurement?

Also, the Kinematic Viscosity 100C is 13.1 for the Castrol 0W-40 -vs 10.8 for the 5W-30 that I'm currently running, but I don't know if that makes a good/bad difference one way or the other? Here in Sacramento, it's not uncommon to be 100 degrees + in the Summer and rarely gets below 40 degrees F in the Winter. Is the 2.3 difference in viscosity a difference I should take into account when choosing between the two oils or a big nothing-burger?

smile.gif

Thank you, as always, for your thoughts and opinions.

Ed

Probably the biggest difference between the two is HT/HS viscosity. EP 5w-30 is resource conserving, so it'll have HT/HS viscosity well below 3.5 cP. Edge 0w-40 is not resource conserving and has HT/HS viscosity above 3.5 cP... I think it's around 3.7 cP or so. Higher HT/HS viscosity might result in slight degradation in fuel economy and performance. Will you be able to actually tell? Probably not, but there are some people on BITOG that claim they can.
smile.gif

Quote:
I'm specifically trying to understand the Sulphated Ash measurement of 0.8

Where did you get this figure? Is this for EP 5w-30?

Anyway, lower SAPS typically means lower add pack, which can restrict your max OCI if there is more sulfur in gasoline.

That measurement is from the Castrol EDGE 0W-40.

I change my oil, according to my manual recommendation, every 5000 miles.

Thank you Pete!

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Edge 0w-40 has SA of 1.15%.
Edge EP 5w-30 has SA of 0.8%.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's been a year you still are on the fence?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3705457/Thoughts_of_Castrol_EDGE_Exten

And that oil is Longlife-01, not Longlife-04 correct?

I wouldn't say I'm "on the fence" - now I'm just trying to best understand if the 0W-40 will be okey dokey, since I'll have to order the 5W-30 online if I want to continue using it.

Also, no...the .pdf I'm looking at says Longlife-04 and it was sent to me via one of the folks in the engineering department at BP.

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Edge 0w-40 has SA of 1.15%.
Edge EP 5w-30 has SA of 0.8%.

I'm copying/pasting from the .pdf below:

Name Method Units Castrol EDGE 0W-40
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.842
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 13.1
Viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5890
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 77
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 172
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -51
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 200
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 0.8

Ed

Also, no...the .pdf I'm looking at says Longlife-04 and it was sent to me via one of the folks in the engineering department at BP.

They sent you the wrong PDS then.

Edge 0w-40 available here in the US is a full SAPS oil and meets LL-01, not LL-04.

Edge 0w-40 available here in the US is a full SAPS oil and meets LL-01, not LL-04.

Well...let me e-mail the guy back and see if he sent me the wrong one?

smile.gif

Ed

smile.gif

Ed

Ask him specifically for Edge 0W-40 A3/B4.

smile.gif

Ed

Ask him specifically for Edge 0W-40 A3/B4.

O.K...as soon as I get it from him...I'll let you know what it says!

Ed

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
10w30 hands down

I'm curious - why would you run 10w-30 if the manual says 5w-30?

Ed

At a 5k OCI, I think any 5W-30 would work. SuperTech synthetic if you want to splurge. If I was using that 0W-40, I'd go at least 10k miles.

10w30 hands down

Ed

Why would you run 0w-40 if the manual says 5w-30?
smile.gif

10w-30 should be more shear stable due to lower viscosity spread and less VII, at least in theory.

10w30 hands down

You're in Southern California. The cold (W) rating will have zero impact on you.

Why would you run 0w-40 if the manual says 5w-30?
smile.gif

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back