Newest Text on Aircraft and Rocket Propulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
One book that has been the mainstay of university and college courses in Aerospace Engineering has been Phillip Hill's (University of British Columbia) and Carl Peterson's (MIT) book, Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Propulsion. (ISBN 0-201-14659-2).

I have felt for some time that an updated text was needed.

I received a new text from (Springer) entitled, Fundamentals of Aircraft and Rocket Propulsion by Ahmed El-Sayed of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Zagazig University, Zagazig Egypt. (ISBN 978-1-4471-6794-5) and (ebook ISBN 978-1-4471-6796-0).

It is 1010 pages of formulae, diagrams, and copious pictures of aircraft, aircraft engines, and rocket engines.

This book discusses all types of aircraft and rocket engines with supporting formulae.

One thing I appreciate in this new text can best be explained by an example:

In Section 6.2.9, Sayed discusses microturbines as they apply to UAV's and missiles. He then takes the SR-30 engine from the Harpoon missile and calculates various characteristics of this engine. I think this "show-and-tell" approach is very effective for an introductory course in Aerospace Engineering.

And yes, I payed for my own copy.
smile.gif

Last edited:
When I worked for an aerospace contractor, I often worked around the propulsion development area. We like most other aerospace contractors use engines from other suppliers. The publications I really enjoyed were from Snecma S.A. They had diagrams, pictures, formulas and detailed explanations for everything. When I left I found out that these were restricted documents only available because of the close relationship between us and Snecma S.A. Bummer. I guess I should have realized that because they were only available in secure areas where we worked. The company library showed no such documents available. Now I really miss having access to them. I would have never suspected that the French engineers would do such a good job with their jet and rocket engines. I thought they only took long lunches with wine and cheese cake and never got fat like everyone else on the same diet.

They treated me well in all our dealings and when a Rafale updated version was rolled out they invited me to attend. What a fantastic operation. They also took me on a sight seeing tour in a helicopter that uses their engines. Now, if only I could upgrade my pilot's license and get into a Rafale that would be a great ride (lol).

Thanks MolaKule for the book suggestions... I'll look into them...

I just ordered selected Works of Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky... just think in 1903 Konstantin published a book on the basis for modern spaceship
design while the Wright Brothers succeed in the first step by inventing 3 axis controlled powered flight...

51GYQ5BKYBL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just finished this extensive study of the Bugatti 100P Racer... pure sex
with wings if you ask me... see if you can find the radiator and the
cooling management... tricky no???
100p-books.jpg

bugatti-s-futuristic-air-racer-set-for-first-flight-1476934822403-1000x640.jpg

I didn't know about Tsiokovsky. Definitely will look into that. Darn tragedy about losing the only flying Bug replica last year. Sad story as it was going to be the last flight before going into a museum. So much effort and a brave man gone.

Hansa made a light jet with forward swept wings. Lots of those crashed also, but I bet the contra rotating propellers were the end of that replica.

I can't decide whether the Bugatti is beautiful or hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back