Ethanol in Shell Gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumps here in my area of NC say up to 10% ethanol on all of the pumps.

The presence of ethanol in gasoline is completely regional, but in general if it has EtOH in it and it isn't labeled as something other than gasoline (E85 for example) then it will have a maximum of 10%.

Here in southeastern Wisconsin we are in an EPA non-attainment area and all gasoline sold in the counties designated as such must only sell oxygenated fuel. Outside those counties non-oxygenated fuel may be sold.

Ethanol content is irrespective of octane rating. Any and all grades may or may not have ethanol (outside a non-attainment area). What you have in your area is dependent on EPA rules, state or county rules, or local marketing preferences.

In my area Shell V-Power had about 9.4 percent based on what the truck is reading in the tank. I've seen it as low as 9 and as high as 9.8 but the vast majority of the time it sits right around 9.4.

I'd just like to be able to make the choice of alcohol or no alcohol myself, rather than have a pointy headed bureaucrat do it for me. Especially when said pointy head is trying to jam 15% alki into my gas tank when my owners manual says no more than 10%.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'd just like to be able to make the choice of alcohol or no alcohol myself, rather than have a pointy headed bureaucrat do it for me. Especially when said pointy head is trying to jam 15% alki into my gas tank when my owners manual says no more than 10%.

I would too. Here we cannot purchase non-oxygenated fuel anywhere, not even at the Milwaukee marina.

Thats weird, around Madison i have no problem finding it. Some places even have 87 ethanol free or it is premium, sometimes labeled
"recreational gas" usually around 10-20 cents more.

Originally Posted By: Bzab32
Thats weird, around Madison i have no problem finding it. Some places even have 87 ethanol free or it is premium, sometimes labeled "recreational gas" usually around 10-20 cents more.

Right, Dane county is not a designated EPA non-attainment area. Here in southeastern Wisconsin it includes Milwaukee, Waukesha and Racine counties.

A few places around me have mid grade gas without the alcohol added.
Premium grade, outside of the Milwaukee area is alcohol free as well.
Haven't seen regular grade without any where.

Marine gas or some Landmarks have ethanol free gas, otherwise its in everything else. Just because the pump doesn't list it doesn't mean it not present.

Last edited:
My alcohol sensor in my Impala will say as low as 3% up to 9% in my area in RI.

No idea how accurate it is.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you know how to do a simple redneck test for alcohol in fuel?

No Takers? Its Not a joke line.

I know you can separate the alcohol by adding water, is that the method? I've thought about trying it for my OPE.

I separate the alcohol from fuel all the time for my OPE. When you add water everything becomes translucent and cloudy. If you add it to pure gas, it'll just sit on the bottom. I sometimes do that to check that all alcohol has been scavenged. The same method can be used to check for the presence of alcohol. To check the amount of alcohol is more complicated, and written online somewhere.

Guessing its different everywhere but in Quebec (most likely Canada) its ethanol free for 91 octane vpower. The 87 and 89 are up to 10% I believe.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Olas
Shell has div>

Not here in the US.

Doesn't it depend on the state you're in and it's local laws? I'll bet a measurable percentage of shell sold in NA is E5. Albeit not dictated by 228 but E5 nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back