ILSAC GF-5 and Mobil1 product

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago, when API SM was transitioning to API SN, people keep talking about ILSAC GF-5 that is considered the ultimate standard.
Back now, people are aware API SN-RC may not meet ILSAC GF-5 but ILSAC-GF5 definitely meets API SN-RC.

In regards of Mobil1 product, interesting that their Mobil Super series is ILSAC GF-5 and API SN-RC approved, but their Mobil1 series only ILSAC GF-5 except the HM and newly AP that is also SN-RC.

So if they promote their synthetic is better, then what is the threshold of the oil maintain their GF-5 & SN-RC standard before it was considered shot and need to be changed ?

Interestingly M1 HM is also not GF-5 certified even though their Zn and P level is the same with the GF-5 version.

THe question is whether it is really does matter of GF-5 and SN-RC between brand to choose oil if it is used on standard OCI ? Or we should look into other standard that is more indicative of the oil robustness for turbo or extended drain ?

ILSAC's GF-5 and SN-RC are exactly the same thing, just with different wording. If you have the Starburst up front, it's an ILSAC rated oil, also called RC. ILSAC governs GF-5, but API handles the trademarks.

Note that any manufacturer is able to go beyond those minimum standards when formulating an oil. Let's call M1 5w-30 an A5/B5 oil, even though it isn't formally any longer. If you're looking at its most common competitors, you're looking at black bottle Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, QSUD, and Valvoline Synpower. For most purposes, I'd consider them all functionally equivalent and more or less suitable for the same OCIs, regardless of what the oil companies' marketing departments say about it.

Note that, particularly in North America, you could run across some synthetics that aren't particularly well suited to extended OCIs. If I were to want to extend an OCI while using an ILSAC type 5w-30 and knew nothing about which product it really was, and was just able to see specs rather than brand names and product tiers, I'd probably look for an A5/B5 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back