Gas-to-liquid (GTL) state of technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you recommend some articles or papers covering the current state of gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology and performance of lubricants derived from GTL bases?

I'm especially interested in learning more about:
- How GTL bases compare to Group III and IV
- can GTL bases compete price-wise with PAOs?
- Has GTL been deployed near well heads to facilitate transportation?

The massive North Field gas is mostly shipped as LNG or GTL (Group III)
There is a modular single wellhead system being tested that I have driven by (assuming there are others)

Originally Posted By: 4WD

That gas field is mind boggling. Even the amount of gas they use just to produce LNG is huge.

I was in a shipyard a few years ago when the huge LNG tankers were under construction (think giant thermos bottle) ... only to find the tankers would be coming back to S. Korea with LNG cargo ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
There is a modular single wellhead system being tested that I have driven by (assuming there are others)

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

I thought that was the whole idea behind GTL: make something close to PAO in performance but less costly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

I thought that was the whole idea behind GTL: make something close to PAO in performance but less costly.

Well like so many things I'm sure that's a matter of interpretation. The question isn't really so much about GTL as it is about Group III base stocks, sure GTL is apparently a cleaner feedstock for severe hydrocracking but that doesn't mean the performance is dramatically better than another Group III product. That old ExxonMobil presentation about Visom development stated that the reason was due to PAO shortages, but the presentation also showed that the performance of Visom was substantially equivalent to a traditional PAO product especially when blended with a minority percentage of PAO.

Shell pretty much said the reason for the Pearl plant (which can make a variety of GTL products, not just motor oil) was to utilize the otherwise burned/vented natural gas in that location. But as was shown that turned out to be an expensive proposition and Solarent's article shows it apparently isn't without technical challenges as well. All of that is a powerful competitor to relatively inexpensive crude oil that you only have to pump out of the ground - especially when both then have to be processed in the same to make a finished motor oil..

I'm not sure. Maybe a good question for one of the members of the Shell team that is always lurking around...

I forgot I had the link open on my phone and I just opened the chrome app at an NCAA Basketball game. "LUBES AND GREASES"
laugh.gif
LOLLL
GO STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES

Originally Posted By: Solarent
I'm not sure. Maybe a good question for one of the members of the Shell team that is always lurking around...

Unfortunately, some of those distribution problems (and you know how bad and strange it is in Canada with the two tiers of distribution) are well above the pay grade of those who are members here and provide us will all the assistance. Chris Guerrero is probably the exception, but there's no issue with Rotella distribution.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back