2017 F1 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been following much? I've read some reports, because nothing gets televised, and the funny part is the grousing over copyright and TV rights over something no one televises.
wink.gif

There seems to be much gnashing of teeth in the McLaren Honda camp again. Ron Dennis may, in retrospect, be happy that he was shown the door.
wink.gif

I haven't been looking much. Just went to the F1 website to find out when the first race was being held.

It usually takes a few races before everyone settles in.

Let's see if it's more interesting without Bernie at the helm.

I think Bernie got blamed for a lot of things he had little control over, and Liberty Media is expected to fix, and over which they have no power.

Olas, engines change all the time. We're out of luck if we want only one historical example.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Anyone been following much? I've read some reports, because nothing gets televised, and the funny part is the grousing over copyright and TV rights over something no one televises.
wink.gif

There seems to be much gnashing of teeth in the McLaren Honda camp again. Ron Dennis may, in retrospect, be happy that he was shown the door.
wink.gif

I have a feeling this may be the last go-around for McLaren-Honda as a team, especially after getting so few laps in this spring. McLaren is clearly frustrated and squarely placing blame on Honda's engine. Ferrari has really upped the pressure on Mercedes, according to the Haas team and an interview with Ferrari works ace, Sebastian Vettle. We'll see. Meanwhile Mercedes set the fastest times again. Bottas and Hamilton appear to be fond of each other...until the real racing starts. Redbull has heen rather hushed this spring.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

wink.gif

I have a feeling this may be the last go-around for McLaren-Honda as a team, especially after getting so few laps in this spring. McLaren is clearly frustrated and squarely placing blame on Honda's engine. Ferrari has really upped the pressure on Mercedes, according to the Haas team and an interview with Ferrari works ace, Sebastian Vettle. We'll see. Meanwhile Mercedes set the fastest times again. Bottas and Hamilton appear to be fond of each other...until the real racing starts. Redbull has heen rather hushed this spring.

I was surprised honda had an "oiling issue" on their engine? Seems like that should've been figured out long before spring testing...
I hope Ferrari will give MB a race and Bottas will do atleast as well as Rosberg against Hamilton.

No one is going to really know anything until they get several races under their belts. Everything now is mere speculation. By the time Bahrain rolls around we'll have a pretty good idea what's what.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I was surprised honda had an "oiling issue" on their engine?

An "oiling" issue on an F1 motor in spring training can be anything from "the engine came apart for no reason" to the "shape of the oil tank".

One thing for sure is that the Honda engine continues to be a dog.

here's sniffpetrol's take on things:

Men drive Formula 1 cars around track

Posted in Motorsport, News by Sniff Petrol on Tuesday, February 28th, 2017

Reports from Barcelona yesterday suggest that a man has driven a Formula 1 car around for a bit, while another man also drove a Formula 1 car around, at a slightly lower speed but for a greater distance.

Another man was hoping to drive a Formula 1 car around for some time, but that time was less than he had hoped due to some kind of problem with the engine. ‘I was hoping to drive around for quite a while,’ he is quoted as saying. ‘However, I was not able to but I am okay about this.’

Meanwhile, one man drove a Formula 1 car around and was able to make it appear to be faster than would have been expected whilst another drove a Formula 1 car around at a speed that appeared to be slower than would have been expected.

Sources say different men will drive the same Formula 1 cars around today, giving an even greater sense of very little at all.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
here's sniffpetrol's take on things:

Men drive Formula 1 cars around track

Posted in Motorsport, News by Sniff Petrol on Tuesday, February 28th, 2017

Reports from Barcelona yesterday suggest that a man has driven a Formula 1 car around for a bit, while another man also drove a Formula 1 car around, at a slightly lower speed but for a greater distance.

Another man was hoping to drive a Formula 1 car around for some time, but that time was less than he had hoped due to some kind of problem with the engine. ‘I was hoping to drive around for quite a while,’ he is quoted as saying. ‘However, I was not able to but I am okay about this.’

Meanwhile, one man drove a Formula 1 car around and was able to make it appear to be faster than would have been expected whilst another drove a Formula 1 car around at a speed that appeared to be slower than would have been expected.

Sources say different men will drive the same Formula 1 cars around today, giving an even greater sense of very little at all.

laugh.gif

But testing is so interesting though, raising hopes(Vettel fans), or dashing them(Alonso fans)...

Originally Posted By: wemay
I have a feeling this may be the last go-around for McLaren-Honda as a team, especially after getting so few laps in this spring.

Yes, you and Indylan do hit the point. Oil leaking and a catastrophic failure that early on? Of course, stuff simply goes wrong, time to time. But, this is not the time to be suffering through that.

Jetronic: Yes, reading too much into testing can be problematic. But, it would be fair to assume that Ferrari has some decent reliability going right now (and they redesigned their engine, too, if I recall correctly) and some decent pace. And, McLaren Honda is certainly going to have some troubles this year. Of course, this doesn't mean to get the Ferrari engraving on the constructor's trophy or to dig out the old HRT labels and stick them on the McLaren, but we do get a whiff of what's happening.

Lewis says he LOVES Valtteri already cuz he's really witty and way funnier than Heikki or Jenson and would let him fly his plane and cuddle his dog and wear his hat and also let him have this year's championship like he did with Nico but also said Ferrari are already this year's champions and also that cuz the cars are so wide he's afraid to even try passing anyone and then also said he still loves Fernando and feels REALLY rotten for him and he's also really happy that Bernie is gone so he can take lots of videos of himself.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Red Bull will have a nasty surprise for Mercedes in qualifying for the first race. They were closing the power gap last year, and Adrian Newey may work magic with the new aero/chassis regs.

There have been a few misgivings about the Renault engine, and a few reliability issues, but you're right. Adrian Newey isn't done yet at all. Of all the cars we've seen so far, Red Bull probably has the most aero surprises hidden away, yet to be revealed.

Lewis was stating that Ferrari is the favorite this year. Well, he says that now. If he finds himself passed by Ferraris when the season is actually underway, he won't be so glib about it.

I thought Ferrari was on the wane last year. They seemed to be folding under the pressure that the CEO was putting on them to win. Vettel was clearly very frustrated behind the wheel a number of times, and Arrivabene didn't seem to have any tricks up his sleeve to close the performance gap to Mercedes. They started the year looking to be a close second to Mercedes, but Red Bull took over that position as the year progressed. I was expecting to see Ferrari fall apart more this year, but who am I to contradict Lewis Hamilton? Maybe he's just trying to stir up controversy.

Arrivabene's tricks, I think, are limited to what he can accomplish as a manager. I'm fairly certain he has zero engineering skills of his own.
wink.gif

Yes, there did seem to be a lot of pressure on them last year. I'm sure there is this year, but that's really the test. They have the people, the skill set, and the money. Falling apart under pressure was the real problem. Losing James Allison wasn't helpful, either. Perhaps Sergio needs to realize he has more to do than micromanage an F1 team.

Then again, if things are better this year, it might have worked out. There were way too many amateur mistakes last year, and if this year we happen to be seeing more professionalism from the group and some real progress, maybe his approach worked.

I do understand Vettel's frustration. Clearly, something needs to be done with officiating. Charlie's had the bun. Vettel clearly demonstrated that. As much of a huge Vettel fan as I am, after his outburst, Charlie should have slapped him down hard, fast, and long. How it was handled might have been smoother at the time, but in the long run, it just undermines Charlie's position, considering how much speculation there has been about his future and how he's doing his job up to that point. While professional officiating isn't the answer to everything, as we see in every sport in the world, at least it can add some consistency, which we haven't been seeing lately.

In any case, it looks like Ferrari did well in testing today, too. But, we have to wait and see about everything. Honda has some serious engine issues to address. Or, they've simply had bad luck ruining their testing. Either way, if that happens in the season, they're in trouble. They've gone through the equivalent of a half a season's engine allocation on two days running. That cannot continue. Red Bull definitely has some aero tricks to come, but the Renault power unit, while improved, still might have a couple issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniff-Petrol-20...;qid=1488639625

Quote:
From the never-popular Sniff Petrol website comes a complete guide to the 2017 Grand Prix season featuring a run-down of every team and driver, a guide to each track, and a soggy slew of bonus content including Nico Rosberg's future plans, Ron Dennis's reason for leaving McLaren, a tribute to the drivers who've left the sport from Crazy Dave Coulthard and a hearty howdy from new boss Chase Carey. It's all in the factually dubious, informationally bereft Sniff Petrol 2017 Grand Prix guide. It's the only guide you need to this season, as long as you're one of those people who doesn't really need a guide at all.

SPAD2017GPGUIDE.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
.......and a soggy slew of bonus content including Nico Rosberg's future plans,.....

Not to hi-jack, but I have to give Nico credit. He could have hung around for another year and just drove laps. And collected what would have amounted to at least $30 MILLION+ in the process. But he put his wife and family ahead of the tremendous dollars. Those kind of financial opportunities rarely surface in one's lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back