I Think I Killed It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top off the coolant. Check the oil. Is it milky? Is it low? Change the oil. Engines lose power if they overheat. If nothing is damaged too much, it might just be fine. Maybe.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
And 100 kilometers an hour is not that fast. Maybe for a 3 cylinder Chinese car though.

If I'm not mistaken, those things have something like a 4.86 final drive with an underdrive top gear, so 100 kmh is pushing it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
In other country, people are not as fast throwing away cars as it is in the US.

If it is a 3 cylinder car, it is probably small and easier to work with.
I am sure there are people with resources in Taiwan that can fix the car economically.
30 years old does not matter.

What kind of car is it? may be check in the forum that discuss your car and see if it worth fixing.

They are VERY fast to throw away cars here. Cultural thing. Old car = loss of face (low status).

I'm told mechanics are cheap, though.
I'm sure there are plenty of moped mechanics around there.

The diffence between that 3 cylinder and my V6 Camry is that all Toyota says to do when traveling over 100 mph for long distances is put a few more pounds of air in the tires and drive on.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
And 100 kilometers an hour is not that fast. Maybe for a 3 cylinder Chinese car though.

I think its Japanese. Think I was indicating about 120, but the speedo is probably innaccurate. Doesn't always indicate anything. Its a 3 cylinder OLD car.

Originally Posted By: mk378

They are VERY fast to throw away cars here. Cultural thing. Old car = loss of face (low status).

That would suggest there would be some decent deals to be had on not very old used cars.

'Fraid not. Cars are expensive here, and anyway I dislike new cars.

Bit puzzled this morning. Coolant reservoir was at the full line.

Clue might be that the rad was brimming, so there was some spillage when replacing the cap. Not seen it like that before.

Best guess is combustion gases in the cooling system displacing coolant.

Clue might be that the rad was brimming, so there was some spillage when replacing the cap. Not seen it like that before.

Opening the cap should have burped system. Check the oil , also pull the plugs and look for a steam cleaned plug.

My experuience in that case is that the overflow tank gets emptied by the exhaust gasses, really quick!

I think you go the engine hotter than it had been in a while, and someoily residue on the outside of the engine started smelling/smoking. Once you smell that, coupled with the guilt of driving faster than you should ones mind becomes very creative in conjuring up doom stories.

Start it, let it get up to temp and check for bubbles in the overflow tank. If there's none, keep an eye on the coolant level for a while...

oil level ok?

Had a look at lunchtime. Bit rushed but won't have another chance until the weekend. Not certain, but room for guarded optimism.

Drained the coolant and then refilled it, because I wanted to get an idea how much was left. Howling gale blew up while I was pouring it back (What are the chances, eh? Well about 100% IME) so I lost a bit, but still had some left over. This suggests:

(a) Coolant leakage/loss, if any, must have been fairly limited.

(b) This engine suffers from air pockets when refilled (with hose "burping"). Not good, but it might go some way to explain the "now you see it, now you don't" coolant, assuming I wasn't just hallucinating.

Took the plugs out and turned the engine over. Plugs weren't wet and nothing spat out of the plugholes.

Wedged a funnel in the radiator filler and started the engine. It did blow bubbles, and hadn't entirely stopped when the coolant started to steam/I ran out of time, but it wasn't violent and I already knew for a fact there was air in there, so it may not be evidence of a head gasket problem.

Also encouraging was the fact that the exhaust appeared to be blowing from where it joins the exhaust manifold. Too inaccessible when hot to be sure but IIRC one of the bolts was a bit unconvincing due to thread corrosion, and might have let go, causing failure of my home made gasket. If that's the case it SHOULD be a fairly easy and cheap fix.

So maybe I'm the duck that cried wolf. We'll see.

Now that it has cooled off again, take the radiator cap off and top it up if needed. Then put cap back on and feel the pressure in the top hose (there won't be any, of course). Next start the engine and rev it and check the hose again. If you feel pressure right away in the hose, the gasket is blown.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Take a gun and shoot it. Not worth the $$$$ to repair. !00 mph in a three cylinder vehicle? I don't think so.
crazy.gif

new Mirage estimated at 125 mph top speed

There must be lots of liars out there because I had no problem finding many 3 cyl owners who claimed they took a measured mile run in their 3 cyl and were in the 100-110 mph range at top speed.

I've never tried to find out how fast THIS car will go. Too risky.

But the turbo versions of this engine in the Charade (popular in Australia as an antidote to muscle cars) are quoted at between 103 and 115 mph in standard form, depending on the version. Australians mod them to go over that, but I think they break them quite a lot.

Last edited:
I had a Charade Gt Ti...100hp, 1,000cc, it was a little rocket. A bit of a stealth package too, discrete body kit and wheels. Keeping them cool is an ongoing chore, they run hot. I was talking to a guy who used to rally one here - they used up to 60psi boost and never lost an engine.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

What kind of coolant are you running? 30 year old head gaskets might not like some of the newer coolants, and can degrade.

Don't know. It's green, with Chinese writing on the jug.

I'd get it translated but it probably doesn't say anything meaningful anyway. I'd doubt its anything very exotic, though, since it was a supermarket own-brand and not very expensive.

Do you at least know if it's full strength or pre-mixed?!

Originally Posted By: Tosh

What kind of coolant are you running? 30 year old head gaskets might not like some of the newer coolants, and can degrade.

I'd get it translated but it probably doesn't say anything meaningful anyway. I'd doubt its anything very exotic, though, since it was a supermarket own-brand and not very expensive.

Think pre-mixed I think, though I can't remember if it says anything in English on the jug. I'll check, but I might just have assumed that, since I can't imagine the average Taiwanese consumer would be expected to be able to work out how to do a 50% dilution, and I don't think I've seen anything for sale here that seemed to require it.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I had a Charade Gt Ti...100hp, 1,000cc, it was a little rocket. A bit of a stealth package too, discrete body kit and wheels. Keeping them cool is an ongoing chore, they run hot. I was talking to a guy who used to rally one here - they used up to 60psi boost and never lost an engine.

60psi??!!!

Originally Posted By: Tosh

Think pre-mixed I think, though I can't remember if it says anything in English on the jug. I'll check, but I might just have assumed that, since I can't imagine the average Taiwanese consumer would be expected to be able to work out how to do a 50% dilution, and I don't think I've seen anything for sale here that seemed to require it.

Yeh. It says "Radiator Liquid". So that's all right, then.

Not necessarily. It should say "DO NOT ADD WATER" somewhere on it. Even where I can read all the words, the difference isn't always super clear. You could also test it with a hydrometer.

If you fill up with 100% concentrate and then get on the freeway, you're going to have a bad time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
Not necessarily. It should say "DO NOT ADD WATER" somewhere on it. Even where I can read all the words, the difference isn't always super clear. You could also test it with a hydrometer.

If you fill up with 100% concentrate and then get on the freeway, you're going to have a bad time.

Seems unlikely. If its "Radiator Liquid" that implies its suitable for adding to a radiator, (and thats the way I'd bet anyway) but I suppose maybe not in Chinese logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back