Pennzoil 0w40 versus the competition???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pennzoil product looks to be showing up in some Walmart near me. Currently using M1 0w40, which I tend to think has been watered down a bit. Price being equal, is there any con of trying the pennzoil product? Or, is there anything that stands out as a huge pro versus the other?

The 2 "pros" are that both the M1 and PP products are currently carrying $10/$12 mfg rebates which brings their cost down to around $2.60/qt. Same basic price. Pick whichever you prefer. I'd probably pick the M1 as we have VOA's on that over the years. Don't recall seeing a VOA on the new PP 0w-40.

Even watered down a bit since the last version, M1 is still pretty stout with a decent HTHS and strong TBN. If you want stouter go with the Castrol 0w-40 or even the PP 5w-40 Euro. The Castrol is a high magnesium oil. The 5w-40 PP is not as easy to find as the 0w-40 products.

Assume you mean Pennz ultra 0w40? I ran it and thought it was excellent, low wear numbers on my last analysis, despite the run being fairly short.

Lifetime M1 user running PP wherever I can find it.

Good stuff.

UD

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
The pennzoil product looks to be showing up in some Walmart near me. Currently using M1 0w40, which I tend to think has been watered down a bit. Price being equal, is there any con of trying the pennzoil product? Or, is there anything that stands out as a huge pro versus the other?

So far M1 FS is showing old habit (pre VISOM) of shearing down a lot.
Castrol 0W40 is the way to go.

When I last looked (admittedly a while back) I was comparing Pennzoil SRT 0w40 to M1 0w40 and looking at the traditional additive numbers I thought M1 had an edge- though a 30 buck oil analysis doesn't really give you a big picture. Looks like they now have a "Euro" 0w40, which would probably have to be a little stouter and presumably more like their previous Euro 5w40 (the SRT engines, save possibly the Hellcat, are like the GM LSx in that they are extremely gentle on oil for the amount of power they put down). I don't really know much about "Platinum Euro 0w40." , I'm just seeing it in small quantities- not enough on the shelf for an OC!- in my local stores.

Pennzoil has gone and confused everyone again, now putting Platinum in a yellow bottle. Seriously... they've shot themselves in the foot over brand continuity with all the re-packaging and re-branding they've done with Platinum, then Ultra, then Ultra Platinum, silver bottles, dark silver bottles, black bottles, and now yellow for the synthetics. The products are great, but whoever keeps diddling with the brand identity should get a smack on the noggin.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Absence of LL-01 could be that sopus makes the BMW twin power 0w40. Maybe??

Lots of speculation but no one knows whether the issue is material or political.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: edyvw
SO this PP does not meet BMW LL-01 too? I cannot see on photo.

Doesn't show up here either:

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c_Motor_Oil.pdf

Gotta wonder if LL-01 is a dead spec since its falling off multiple brands now.

Multiple brands as Mobil1 and Pennzoil?
BMW updated LL-01 and it is probably toughest to meet now. Considering several UOA of Mobil1 0W40 FS, I would say no wonder it is dropped.
Also, BMW has its own LL-01 oil, so no, it is not dead spec.

Yeah, not exactly dead. Just irrelevant to the non-BMW world of engines that don't have to be band-aided with the oil in order to just keep the bearings in one piece. :p

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Yeah, not exactly dead. Just irrelevant to the non-BMW world of engines that don't have to be band-aided with the oil in order to just keep the bearings in one piece. :p

LOL, coming from FIAT driver.

Don't be so snooty Edyvw
smile.gif

Saturday bought a Castrol 0/40 Euro and the BMW LL-01 certification is on the back label.

Holy Moses.....$22.47 for a 5 quart jug??? Is this seriously correct?

It's $50 for 6 quarts on Amazon and $10 a quart in auto parts stores.

Gotta check out my WalMart tomorrow.

I had moved to synthetic HDEO for my EcoDiesel, but will go back to this soup for $22.47 a jug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back