Would you replace this knock sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear that when I clean my engine, water sits in the valley, and the knock sensor is underwater. There are no indications of any problems with this one other than the high water mark well above it. It is several hours and a number of gaskets and o-rings to get to this point. Should I replace it and the short harness while I have it apart, or just let it go and see if it lasts another 10 years? The inside of the connector was wet, which can't be good, but I can clean that. Apparently, the short harness is a common failure point, maybe the sensor itself is waterproof.

Whenever I wash the engine, I drive it and let it run long enough for the engine fans to come on, which happens above 200 degrees, but apparently, there is not enough heat in the valley to evaporate the standing water, degreaser, oil, etc. that falls in there.

The OEM part is around $200, that is probably what I would use.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a drain passage of some sort. Maybe going forward I will stick my oil extractor tube in there to suck out most of the water.

I wouldn't replace it. I would probably put a generous amount of dielectric grease on it though.

Can you get just the harness? If that is a common failure, I'd replace it.

If it ain't broke...

When I wash the engine I hook the vacuum cleaner hose to the exhaust and blow out the standing water off before and after my "dry-off drive"

I would probably break that bolt loose, clean everything up and put some marine never seize on the bolt, I would also remove the connector and clean it then cover the wires where it goes into the connectors with some RTV just for added insurance.

Rock auto has the part for $40 bucks FWIW

If it's a common failure, I'd replace it. SHoot... I generally replace stuff if I'm in there anyway because I don't feel like taking it apart again. But that's my 2 cents

Don't fix what ain't broke, but why do you wash the engine? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I've gotten a lot of miles out of a lot of engines and never washed one once. Seems to me that it's a good general principle to try to avoid getting an engine wet if you can help it. Can't see how washing an engine would be beneficial.

Ok, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I think I will clean and reseal it, and hopefully not touch it ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back