Cooper CS5 Ultra Cooper reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking this tire up online, and the tire reviews are all over the place. Some 5 star BEST TIRE EVER and some 1 star STAY FAR AWAY reviews

Anyone here running this tire?

Looking at them in a 205/55/16 size for my Matrix. I don't do any track stuff at all.

Last edited:
The CS5 is very popular on here, an Official Tire of BITOG
smile.gif

But in Florida, you don't need an all-season tire. Get a grand touring summer tire instead, like:
Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Hankook Ventus Prime2 (or 3)
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear Efficient Grip
Bridgestone Turanza ER300, or the newer T001
Continental ContiPremiumContact

Not sure if I have the ultras, but I have (2) full sets on my vehicles.

185/60/R15 on the !echo! and 195/65/R15 on the Prius;

The echo has about 30K on them with no increase in road noise
The prius has about 2K on them.

I've been using Cooper CS4s and now CS5s for many years and have yet to be disappointed with them.

Seems like they would be a good tire for a Matrix.

Keeping with a current theme, they are made in Tupelo MS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

But in Florida, you don't need an all-season tire. Get a grand touring summer tire instead, like:
Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear Efficient Grip

I don't need anything for snow, but "Sunshine State" is very misleading! We get a lot of sporadic rain lol

The best overall tire I've liked is General GMAX AS03, but from what I read, that tire is above-average at best. Also REALLY like Vogue Tyres, but they aren't the easiest to come by. Great deals on DTD though! My current tires are Vogue Signature I believe. Tread looks great at 30k+ miles, but I've no idea what the depth is on them. They handle dry and wet very well. The GMAX cut through water like butter, so there's a slight edge to the GMAX's in my opinion.

Edit* Should also clarify that the only reason I'm not getting Vogue Tyres or the GMAX is 1) no deals at the moment 2) Vogue doesn't appear to make the Signature without the white walls in the size I need and 3) I think the GMAX is overkill for the Matrix LOL

On my Jeep I have Cooper Discoverer AT3's and really like them, though I don't drive the Jeep all that often and have yet to see how the tires perform offroad. That's pretty much the extent of my Cooper experience though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
smile.gif

Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear Efficient Grip

I don't need anything for snow, but "Sunshine State" is very misleading! We get a lot of sporadic rain lol

The best overall tire I've liked is General GMAX AS03, but from what I read, that tire is above-average at best. Also REALLY like Vogue Tyres, but they aren't the easiest to come by. Great deals on DTD though! My current tires are Vogue Signature I believe. Tread looks great at 30k+ miles, but I've no idea what the depth is on them. They handle dry and wet very well. The GMAX cut through water like butter, so there's a slight edge to the GMAX's in my opinion.

Edit* Should also clarify that the only reason I'm not getting Vogue Tyres or the GMAX is 1) no deals at the moment 2) Vogue doesn't appear to make the Signature without the white walls in the size I need and 3) I think the GMAX is overkill for the Matrix LOL

On my Jeep I have Cooper Discoverer AT3's and really like them, though I don't drive the Jeep all that often and have yet to see how the tires perform offroad. That's pretty much the extent of my Cooper experience though.

If you liked the Gmax, there's nothing wrong with getting them again, since you had a good experience with it.

Vogue tires are more expensive than Michelin, and who even makes them? You can get a MUCH better tire for the price. The G-Max and the CS5 are both likely to be better tires than Vogue.

Nevertheless, the tires I mentioned in my other post should be great in the rain. Another good choice I forgot to include is the Vredestein Sportrac 5.

I have a set of Cooper CS4s on the BMW.
I had bought them to use on one of two Accords, but I sold one of those and the other got totaled by a son with no injuries to him, thankfully.
The BMW needed tires and I had these, so on they went.
These seem like really decent tires at a cheap price and the later models should be just as good if not better.
They're good in heavy rain and provide a smooth ride.
I'd recommend them.

smile.gif

Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear Efficient Grip

If you liked the Gmax, there's nothing wrong with getting them again, since you had a good experience with it.

Vogue tires are more expensive than Michelin, and who even makes them? You can get a MUCH better tire for the price. The G-Max and the CS5 are both likely to be better tires than Vogue.

Nevertheless, the tires I mentioned in my other post should be great in the rain. Another good choice I forgot to include is the Vredestein Sportrac 5.

I looked up a few of the tires you mentioned, but I don't see many of them in the 205/55/16 size I need.

I guess Vogue is a small time producer based out of Chicago. I can only speak from my 30K+ miles on them that they are really good. They look like they'd go 60K but I'll probably sell them with the current wheels I have on the Matrix (aftermarket multi spoke wheel) so I'll never know LOL

smile.gif

Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear Efficient Grip

Rain gives you all the more reason to consider a summer over an all-season tire. Most summer road tires are designed to give the best wet and dry traction. They have the luxury of ignoring winter traction, so they aren't as compromised and can focus the tire more directly on those two goals. That said, wet traction is the strong suit of the CS5, so if you went with them, you should be satisfied with the results.

I looked up a few of the tires you mentioned, but I don't see many of them in the 205/55/16 size I need.

I guess Vogue is a small time producer based out of Chicago. I can only speak from my 30K+ miles on them that they are really good. They look like they'd go 60K but I'll probably sell them with the current wheels I have on the Matrix (aftermarket multi spoke wheel) so I'll never know LOL

I had no ides that Vogue made their own tires!

And some of it is my mistake, too. There are a few other good ones I forgot about. Please accept my apologies.

The Primacy HP is being replaced by the Primacy 3, so both may be available. Here is the Primacy 3 and the Primacy HP

Some versions of the ContiPremiumContact are just called PremiumContact without the Conti in front. Here is the PremiumContact SSR

There's also the ContiSportContact high performance tire. Even if that's not exactly what you need, the price definitely isn't bad.

Vredestein Sportrac 5

Hankook Ventus Prime2

Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun

If price is a concern, there's the Nexen N'frea SU1

I'm pretty sure Vogues are made in China. That being said, I've got 30k on mine and am happy with them.

The wet traction of the CS5 Ultras is freaking incredible as is. Ive literally done full throttle runs in my car on wet pavement with no issues.
My car has a modified transmission that shifts into 2nd gear like dropping a sledgehammer. And I have a limited slip in the rear axle, so when it shifts into second it would break traction on both rear tires and the car would start yawing/drifting. The CS5s recover almost immediately and hook up.
Again, this is on wet pavement.
IMO the Ultras are almost a summer only tire. They grip that good. I don't think it would be very good in snow if you look at the tread design, so barely a all-season.
To me, its basically the perfect tire for my use with Winters once it starts freezing. I dont have to worry about the 45F lower limit on summer tires, which allows for an additional month-month and a half a year Im not burning up my winter tires.
I know you don't have to deal with winter down there, but its worth noting if other people look at this thread.

Last edited:
2) Vogue doesn't appear to make the Signature without the white walls in the size I need

Vogue is ALL ABOUT the whitewalls. Sometimes they're even gold! Have em mounted facing in if you want. These are the ultimate tire for a 30- year old cadillac fleetwood with 144-spoke rims.

Obligatory: (2:53 if you don't have time-- SAD)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
2) Vogue doesn't appear to make the Signature without the white walls in the size I need

Vogue is ALL ABOUT the whitewalls. Sometimes they're even gold! Have em mounted facing in if you want. These are the ultimate tire for a 30- year old cadillac fleetwood with 144-spoke rims.

Obligatory: (2:53 if you don't have time-- SAD)

The Vogue tires I just purchased for my former dads car came in all black. I think they were called Signature Black? I got in on them right before we sold the car to my girlfriends sister. Ended up with $235 in rebates on a set that cost me $400.

But yeah I know the whitewall-goldwall and gold V is part of their thing. Good tires though, wherever they are made.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The wet traction of the CS5 Ultras is freaking incredible as is. Ive literally done full throttle runs in my car on wet pavement with no issues.
My car has a modified transmission that shifts into 2nd gear like dropping a sledgehammer. And I have a limited slip in the rear axle, so when it shifts into second it would break traction on both rear tires and the car would start yawing/drifting. The CS5s recover almost immediately and hook up.
Again, this is on wet pavement.
IMO the Ultras are almost a summer only tire. They grip that good. I don't think it would be very good in snow if you look at the tread design, so barely a all-season.
To me, its basically the perfect tire for my use with Winters once it starts freezing. I dont have to worry about the 45F lower limit on summer tires, which allows for an additional month-month and a half a year Im not burning up my winter tires.
I know you don't have to deal with winter down there, but its worth noting if other people look at this thread.

This review makes me think it's a very good tire for Florida
laugh.gif

I haven't run this particular model of Cooper tire but have used three or four sets of similar Coopers previously on my old 2000 Saab 9-5 and the son's GrandAm. I felt the tires were very good, better than some other bigger name brand tires that I have owned, I considered Coopers again for my most recent tire purchase, but went with Continentals.

I feel the price point of the Coopers has increased proportionally to their quality and performance improvements. They are still a very good tire (in my opinion) but other easier to find brands are priced identically - or even less.

I replaced my worn out Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires (great tires!) with a set of their new DWS-06 models. I found these tires cheaper than similar quality/performance Coopers from multiple sources.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
I haven't run this particular model of Cooper tire but have used three or four sets of similar Coopers previously on my old 2000 Saab 9-5 and the son's GrandAm. I felt the tires were very good, better than some other bigger name brand tires that I have owned, I considered Coopers again for my most recent tire purchase, but went with Continentals.

I feel the price point of the Coopers has increased proportionally to their quality and performance improvements. They are still a very good tire (in my opinion) but other easier to find brands are priced identically - or even less.

I replaced my worn out Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires (great tires!) with a set of their new DWS-06 models. I found these tires cheaper than similar quality/performance Coopers from multiple sources.

I've been itching to try the DWS tires for quite some time.

I pulled the trigger on the CS5's due to the $70 rebate plus a $30 rebate by using my DTD card.

If Continental ever runs a special on their DWS line, I hope the timing will be right to give them a shot.

Dumc87 I've been itching to try the DWS tires for quite some time. I pulled the trigger on the CS5's due to the $70 rebate plus a $30 rebate by using my DTD card. If Continental ever runs a special on their DWS line said:
I bought my latest set during Discount Tire Direct's President's Day Sale last month. Similar deal to what you got on the Coopers.

I've been itching to try the DWS tires for quite some time.

I pulled the trigger on the CS5's due to the $70 rebate plus a $30 rebate by using my DTD card.

If Continental ever runs a special on their DWS line, I hope the timing will be right to give them a shot.

Glad you picked a set of tires. I hope you get many enjoyable miles out them
smile.gif

But if you really wanted to try the DWS06 that bad, you should've gotten them even without a rebate promo. Remember that Continental makes General tires such as the G-Max you loved so much.

I bought vouge signature V for my beater from DTD on eBay 225/50/17 for $316 no tax free ship with a$75 rebate from vouge. Yes there made in China n there Blackwell.So far I like them alot . Whisper quite and wearing well so far. Did great in our last snow storm . So far so good and I felt a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back