So maybe 0w20 isn't as great as it's made to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the main crank bearings on my toyota wore out prematurely. No one knows why but i got a new motor put in it. I looked up the bearing clearances and they are the same as when the engine was originally designed 12 year ago: the 5w30 era. Looks like they've made some changes to the head and increased the compression. Ive only used tgmo 0w20. It's cheap and everyone praises it.i was changing the oil earlier than needed too since i get toyota parts discounted and i wanted to take care of my truck. Anyways, i will switch to 5w30 soon, most likely amsoil.

When i think about it, the truck has had good weight added to it, and it's running over sized tires on a little 4 cylinder engine. It's a manual so the engine is essentially always under load as it's either making power or it's engine braking. Also admittedly the engine does get revved out occasionally. So I'm concluding that this engine is being run under either severe or very severe duty lol. Im thinking moving up to a 5w30 oil will be beneficial and will prevent the premature wear that i saw on the first motor at 20k miles.

I just wanted to consult with the knowledgeable guys on here as im basing my decision off of bits and pieces ive read on here.

Originally Posted By: 2000Trooper
So the main crank bearings on my toyota wore out prematurely. No one knows why but i got a new motor put in it. I looked up the bearing clearances and they are the same as when the engine was originally designed 12 year ago: the 5w30 era. Looks like they've made some changes to the head and increased the compression. Ive only used tgmo 0w20. It's cheap and everyone praises it.i was changing the oil earlier than needed too since i get toyota parts discounted and i wanted to take care of my truck. Anyways, i will switch to 5w30 soon, most likely amsoil.

When i think about it, the truck has had good weight added to it, and it's running over sized tires on a little 4 cylinder engine. It's a manual so the engine is essentially always under load as it's either making power or it's engine braking. Also admittedly the engine does get revved out occasionally. So I'm concluding that this engine is being run under either severe or very severe duty lol. Im thinking moving up to a 5w30 oil will be beneficial and will prevent the premature wear that i saw on the first motor at 20k miles.

I just wanted to consult with the knowledgeable guys on here as im basing my decision off of bits and pieces ive read on here.

We need more information on the vehicle and engine model. Sounds more like a factory manufacturing defect than oil defect.

I can appreciate your concern! I just bought a 2017 Lexus RX350 and I too am concerned about this oil weight, It's all being done in the name of fuel economy, but I must say that I would be a lot happier with a 5W30. Don't know if using 5W30 would be to thick for all the passages in the block. What say you all fellows?

Just curious, but wouldn't a factory defect take less than 20k miles to show up? Id imagine a defect on the crank or the bearings would lead to rapid deterioration

Originally Posted By: Pelican
I can appreciate your concern! I just bought a 2017 Lexus RX350 and I too am concerned about this oil weight, It's all being done in the name of fuel economy, but I must say that I would be a lot happier with a 5W30. Don't know if using 5W30 would be to thick for all the passages in the block. What say you all fellows?

Probably slightly slower thru the passages, but not too thick for the passages. Viscosity is resistance to flow not "thickness" in spacial size, and even then oil thickness is in the sub micron range, else it wouldn't get thru a bypass filter that filters down to 1-2 microns. Much smaller than the tightest tolerances in the engine. And the viscosity difference at operating temperature is pretty small. And a 5w20 and a 5w30 have the same cold flow rating.

Boy did you open up a can of worms.
wink.gif
If were you I'd bump up it a grade too.
27.gif

On this board it seems that everything is attributed to the oil used, good or bad.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
wink.gif
27.gif

Yes i did. Lol. But then most people arent turning 35 inch tires with several hundred pounds of armour

wink.gif
27.gif

Yes i did. Lol. But then most people arent turning 35 inch tires with several hundred pounds of armour. Ill be regearing the axles to alleviate some load off the engine

wink.gif
27.gif

Yes i did. Lol. But then most people arent turning 35 inch tires with several hundred pounds of armour. Ill be regearing the axles to alleviate some load off the engine

hmmmm.....

higher loads and lower RPM mean greater Mean Effective Pressure, and operation more in the direction of the LHS of the Stribeck curve.

Regearing can only help your situation.

5W30, even an ILSAC is around 15% higher HTHS, which is the effective viscosity in the bearings...do that now IMO.

wink.gif
27.gif

Yes i did. Lol. But then most people arent turning 35 inch tires with several hundred pounds of armour

Nice!

wink.gif
27.gif

Agreed...this engine is working hard all the time. Doesn't the Toyota OM say that under heavy duty use a higher viscosity is required for adequate lubrication? I think your decision to go with 5w30 (and Amsoil
thumbsup2.gif
) is a good one.

IMO 0w20 is ok for a small car with >50% city miles but not for a heavier vehicle, or one that's used for towing, sustained high speed, etc.

This sounds like a scenario where the engine has been lugged excessively. Relatively low-powered engine, much larger and heavier tires, heavy armor, and a manual transmission. I can see where this truck would often be in too high of a gear for the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back