2016 Outback Fumoto installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put on the Fumoto yesterday, I'm using the blue fiber washer and the long nipple version, F108N. No drips or seeps yet and if it does I'll change to a factory crush washer. I'd say there is almost 2" of clearance between the bottom of the nipple and the bottom of the plastic cover. Even without the plastic cover I'd say it's at least an inch above the metal framework. Just sharing the experience.

Good job.
I'd at least keep the 'blue' washer on the vehicle and if it doesn't leak, keep as is.

If this is your 1st time using this type drain valve, I'd suggest:
Get yourself an Empty 5 Qt. jug / I went to A.A.P.
Drain the oil into it, and save the 'now' empty Jug for next time.

You also need a 'short' hose to attach to drain valve.

Last edited:
I once owned a 2007 WRX which I put one on. I used the blue washer that came with it. Never had any leaks. Since your valve is recessed, you don't need the safety clip on that imo.
I did read when I was researching Fumoto valves someone in a Miata had one open during a SCCA event. He/she hit a cone and dragged it around causing it to open.

It's so good your applications are protected.

A Fomoto would stick down if installed on my car so it is a NO GO.

What would've been cool to do is warm the engine and drain the oil pan on a level surface using the drain plug for the last time.
Install the Fomoto and add some exact amount of oil, say, 5 quarts.
Drive the oil warm and drain it on the same level surface and see how much, if any, the Fomoto holds back.

I only have a year left on my Outback lease, but I installed the same Fumoto valve back at the 18K oil change. Bought the plastic tubing at Lowe's for cheap. I'm using a synthetic filter for two oil changes, so oil service is a breeze. When I turn in the car, the Fumoto is coming off to be saved for the next Subaru.

I have an 03 Honda CRV with the Fumoto drain valve that's been on since the first oil change. With 200,000 miles on the valve and oil changes appx. every 4,000 miles, I've had 0 problems. I'm using the original aluminum crush washer that came with the vehicle. Fumoto=Good Stuff

I've never had an issue with the three Fumoto valves I've had using various forms of crush washers. My current Hyundai looks almost the same with the valve extension for the recessed pan and a similar type of open cowl. Really easy oil change.

Fumoto gave me a free safety clip which I think is just a good idea if any part is open for road debris to get up there. I've always said that if something gets up there that can do actual damage then it'll probably take the pan with it anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back