Penzoil Ultra after 5 years of Mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, greetings from Canada
I have a 2003 Honda Accord 4cyl ,very good condition just shy of 150k kms
Bought it in 2012 and running Mobil 1 5w20 since then.
No compliant as such. The car runs like butter. It's just that it burns oil almost 1 liter every 3000 kms or so but this model Honda engine is known for this issue.
A good reason I have stayed with Mobil 1 is that it often comes on sale.
Right now one store is selling penzoil ultra at a very good price and I am tempted. I have heard good things about it .
But I am not a hoarder so max I would buy only 3 jugs max . That would be 1.5 years for me as my oci is 6 months as I don't do 8000 kms in 6 months.
Should I change? Because after 1.5 years it is unlikely that I will get penzoil ultra on discount. This oil rarely goes on sale so I would need to switch to Mobil 1 again so why change?
Any thoughts....

Last edited:
Yes, go for it and see how you like it. You may notice a difference. I don't think it would be a down grade. You may notice lower consumption. Have you changed the pcv valve?

Both have the lowest phos I have seen so far, and that would be my worry with any oil due to your consumption patterns. Otherwise do whatever, your car won't know you are cheating on exxon with shell.

Yes pcv valve changed when I first noticed the consumption. Makes no difference. This model engine has issues with piston rings .
I have heard that engines like same oil again and again so it's good to stick to one oil for life if it is working fine. How good is this assumption. Different oils have different additives so why change if something is working. That is the reason I am in doubt

Engines do not care what brand/kind of oil you put in them

They will notice and react if you let it all burn up and do not replace it

Those are both great oils. Use either with confidence

I go back and forth with those two synthetics ... PUP got too expensive so when I drain PUP from two in now ... then M1 & PP

Your honda will run perfectly fine on Pennzoil Ultra. I run this oil in 2 Hondas and 2 Acuras. I found with Mobil 1 the engines in all 4 vehicles got a little more audible then compared with Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra (also Quaker State Ultimate). You'll love the Pennzoil. I picked up 2 more 5L bottles today and submitted the rebates. I've always received my rebates from Pennzoil in a timely manner.

The PUP sale at PartSource ends tomorrow.

I only buy M1 when I am in the US. I don't normally buy M1 products in Canada because the price isn't as good relative to its competition. i would recommend taking advantage of the PUP sale and keep an eye out for rebates as well.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

I only buy M1 when I am in the US. I don't normally buy M1 products in Canada because the price isn't as good relative to its competition. i would recommend taking advantage of the PUP sale and keep an eye out for rebates as well.

I know this sale is tempting . But I know for sure that once my stock is over I won't be able to afford penzoil ultra then why to change just for 3 oci. Mobil 1 on the other hand comes on.sale in Canadian tire more often.

Originally Posted By: asker123
Originally Posted By: sir1900

I know this sale is tempting . But I know for sure that once my stock is over I won't be able to afford penzoil ultra then why to change just for 3 oci. Mobil 1 on the other hand comes on.sale in Canadian tire more often.

PUP is new to Canada. Canadian tire has been carrying it for about 6-8 months. I switched from mobil 1 to Pennzoil platinum. It goes on sale a few times a year at Canadian tire. I'm sure Pup will be on sale a few times a year as well.

No compliant as such. The car runs like butter.
Any thoughts....

If your car is running like butter you better take a look at it. There must be something wrong because butter melts.

Both oils are great and can't go wrong with either.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
No compliant as such. The car runs like butter.
Any thoughts....

If your car is running like butter you better take a look at it. There must be something wrong because butter melts.

Both oils are great and can't go wrong with either.

lol..What I meant was that the car even at this age( it is 2003) runs smooth like butter... Some times if the car is old it is mistaken as POS...

With consumption like you're having you could go to a semi syn blend or even conventional - I doubt that engine would care. The upside is the oil you'd be back filling with would be cheaper and who knows, the engine might like it enough to ease up on the consumption. Good place to start would be Motorcraft semisyn and see what happens.
Just a thought...

I say run the PUP for an OCI; the added detergency may tidy up the piston rings and lower consumption.

Originally Posted By: JC1
One more thing. Mobil 1 in Canada is usually in 4.73 liter jugs. Pennzoil products are in 5 liter jugs.

Most jugs are 4.4L or 4L

My CT carries PUP and Ive seen it on sale at CT for 31.89 or so twice in past 6 months. Check to see if your CT carries PUP..if they do I noticed it was on sale when the PP was on sale. PUP was a few bucks more than PP when on sale. I really like PUP but I prefer M1 to PP. Id say go for it, but go for PUP 5w30 and see if it makes any reduction in the leak.

Also, I submitted a 10$ rebate with Pennzoil and got my money with no issue or hassle.

Last edited:
My Chrysler Town and Country consumed oil at the rate of one quart per thousand miles, a known issue. Consumption was reduced using a high mileage oil. Try Pennzoil Platinum HM if you can find it at a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back