Virgin Mobil 1 M1-210A Annual Filter C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 1 yr/20,000 mile oil filter cut and posted for your viewing pleasure.
It is a M1-210A because they are all the same price, and that was the size that fit my truck, so it was my choice.
smile.gif

Box:

Can:

Date code of December 12, 2016:

Internal:

Louvers:

Baseplate with silicone ADV:

And pleat spacing:

Top of filter element with bypass button:

I guess this is excess glue, it would not rub off:

Everything:

Side by side with Motorcraft FL-820S:

Hefty filter, 1 lb, 0.9 oz:

Motorcraft is 12.9 oz:

M1 baseplate:

Purolator baseplate:

And a ST2 filter just for weight comparison:

Originally Posted By: car51
Nice job sir!
smile.gif

Pleat spacing, Sean area on M1 filter is *****!

Yip, not to my liking...

First off, thanks for the post... I will say I'm not in love with that spacing, i guess id have to see how they hold up after a run...

I'd bet it would "possibly" tear as that seam spacing is downright shameful

Heavens, the Parts Plus 820 I cut and posted looks better
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather run an Ultra for 20k miles. Just the media looks so much better compared to the M1.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd rather run an Ultra for 20k miles. Just the media looks so much better compared to the M1.

Very true
smile.gif

Well, I held my comments for a bit till others posted, but basically I had the same thoughts. The pleat spacing is horrible.
Yes this is only 1 filter, so this may be an anomaly, but it was the one on the shelf that I grabbed, so any other filter could look the same.

I will say the filter is hefty. The can is thick and base plate is heavy. No burrs or sharp points on the holes either.
I don't have access to a good micrometer, but the cheap plastic HF one I have shows the can to be almost 1 mm thick.
The Motorcraft is 1/2 that. Even cut open, the can is stiff, where the Motorcraft is easily flexible.
This can took a little longer to cut than the Motorcraft did.

I have no way to judge the media except by feel, and well, it feels like media. At least the Ultra looks different (because we all know looks are what matters).
I will be cutting it once I get another razor blade for my utility knife (thought I had more) and will post those pics up here also.
Center tube is louvers, but they look fine and I have no issues with properly done louvers.

Overall, not impressed.
I just don't see the justification for the price. Seems they are heavily relying on the Mobil 1 name as well as their new oil.
Buy Mobil 1 Annual oil, gotta buy a Mobil 1 Annual filter, right?
A Fram Ultra is just a better all around filter for less money (and the Napa Platinum is on sale now for about the same price as the Ultra).
Neither of them are marketed as 1 year/20,000 mile filters though (but we here know they could handle it).

Funny thing is I went to Walmart looking for some of the Bosch Distance Plus for $5, but both Walmarts I went to did not even have shelf space for them anymore.
I had about $8 left on a Walmart giftcard from work so figured I would not make it a wasted trip.

I do find it ironic that I have had 3 new filters for my truck, This M1, the Motorcraft FL820s and a Supertech, and the only one I actually plan on using is the Supertech
crazy2.gif

Maybe it's just me, but I'd never go 20k on a cellulose filter. Fram Ultra still reigns king for extended OCI's in my book!

The more we get into these filters the more you realize the ultra is the filter to use. Mobil didn't do anything special here and was really hoping for a better physical showing.

So much for the Mobil 1 media turning white and synthetic with the new box. I wouldn't be particularly happy with that pleating if I knew about it.

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
The more we get into these filters the more you realize the ultra is the filter to use. Mobil didn't do anything special here and was really hoping for a better physical showing.

Yeah, Mobil dropped the ball here. I'll stick with my FRAM Pro Synthetics
smile.gif

I'd go 20k on exactly nothing ... last time I looked my vehicles have no sensor to tell me how often I'm in bypass ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back