Aisin Timing Belt Kit Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my kit from Amazon 3rd party seller today. Instead of the standard Aisin kit box, individual components were in a USPS flat rate box, presumably to reduce shipping costs. Parts look ok except hydraulic tensioner has the AISIN name ink stamped on the body instead of being part of the casting. With all of the counterfeiting and knock-offs out there, should I be concerned about the authenticity of these parts? Thanks.

Possible Aisin doesn't make that particular part # tensioner so they get it 3rd party sourced.

What app is this for?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Possible Aisin doesn't make that particular part # tensioner so they get it 3rd party sourced.

What app is this for?

2010 Acura MDX - Aisin TKH 002. The Aisin kit I got for my Toyota had a NTN tensioner. The supplied tensioner looks just like the picture on the Aisin web site. Surely either Aisin or NTN makes a tensioner for an Acura.

Did you ever buy an Aisin kit that came as indidual parts in a non-Aisin box?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc

No, and I've bought at least five kits over the years. They come in a box similar to the one shown below. It has their name on it and a label with the part number for the kit.

Their clutch kits also come in a box, I've bought two of those and they aren't loose parts either.

$_58.JPG

I never received an Aisin kit not in the box. Return it and get one direct from Amazon or Rock if they have it, I doubt its knock off but you paid for an Aisin kit not one in open or no box. If they want to save on shipping its on them not you. JMO

Never. They have always come in official packaging.

You can save money on those kits by buying the Gates belt/tensioner pulley/idler pulley kit and then buy the water pump and tensioner separate. The gates kit for those cars has all OE Japanese parts in it. I just did one maybe a couple weeks ago.
I used a ACdelco/Gates tensioner which was made in china.

I wouldn't recommend a Gates or Dayco kit, the ones I have seen had parts of varying quality (some very good, some not so good) and a decent belt. Aisin is consistently a very high quality kit and in most cases sourced from OE manufacturer and OE spec parts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't recommend a Gates or Dayco kit, the ones I have seen had parts of varying quality (some very good, some not so good) and a decent belt. Aisin is consistently a very high quality kit and in most cases sourced from OE manufacturer and OE spec parts.

I had a bite out of a Gates TB kit for my Toyota and I would never go there again. I am returning the Aisin "kit" I got via Amazon. Amazon covers 3rd party items with their A-Z warranty so I will come out whole. Will probably buy another A kit from Rock.

What about TBK or TBK ? Bando vs Mitsobushi. I bought the similar kit for my 5SFE, thought it was a good kit, all the parts I needed, quality parts at that.

Last edited:

I had a bite out of a Gates TB kit for my Toyota and I would never go there again. I am returning the Aisin "kit" I got via Amazon. Amazon covers 3rd party items with their A-Z warranty so I will come out whole. Will probably buy another A kit from Rock.

what does "I had a bite " mean?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

what does "I had a bite " mean?

Gates belt was not from JV Unitta plant and was stiff and noisy. Bearings were GMB and water pump sounded like a jet engine. Replaced with Aisin, Koyo and Mitsuboshi. Sweet and quiet.

Gates belt was not from JV Unitta plant and was stiff and noisy. Bearings were GMB and water pump sounded like a jet engine. Replaced with Aisin, Koyo and Mitsuboshi. Sweet and quiet.

That is pretty much exactly my experience with the one Gates kit a friend bought and I helped him install. The belt was stiff which made it more difficult to install, plus the timing marks were off to the point where it was a guess as to the correct position. The water pump failed in about 30,000 miles by leaking out the weep hole.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

That is pretty much exactly my experience with the one Gates kit a friend bought and I helped him install. The belt was stiff which made it more difficult to install, plus the timing marks were off to the point where it was a guess as to the correct position. The water pump failed in about 30,000 miles by leaking out the weep hole.

Gates is the OE supplier for some and the Honda V6 kit Gates sells has the OE Koyo bearings and Japanese belt.

But I agree, Gates water pumps are pure junk now. GMB makes a better water pump than gates. The last Honda V6 I did the GMB water pump was made in Thailand and has worked well so far. Beck Arnely use to sell Japanese water pumps but the last batch I saw were made in China.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Gates is the OE supplier for some and the Honda V6 kit Gates sells has the OE Koyo bearings and Japanese belt.

But I agree, Gates water pumps are pure junk now. GMB makes a better water pump than gates. The last Honda V6 I did the GMB water pump was made in Thailand and has worked well so far. Beck Arnely use to sell Japanese water pumps but the last batch I saw were made in China.

Yeah the Gates kits for a Honda aren't necessarily all the same parts you get when you buy the parts from Honda. Like you note, you get a Chinese water pump in the kit but the Honda water pump is either US or Japanese made.

On the last Accord TB change I did (F22B2 4-cylinder) I bought an Aisin kit even though they aren't OEM. It was all US or Japanese parts and has worked flawlessly since installation. The quality (appearance) of the water pump was strikingly better than the Chinese Gates part.

Right, I forgot to mention the timing marks (silk screening?) were blurry. I counted teeth to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Yeah the Gates kits for a Honda aren't necessarily all the same parts you get when you buy the parts from Honda. Like you note, you get a Chinese water pump in the kit but the Honda water pump is either US or Japanese made.

On the last Accord TB change I did (F22B2 4-cylinder) I bought an Aisin kit even though they aren't OEM. It was all US or Japanese parts and has worked flawlessly since installation. The quality (appearance) of the water pump was strikingly better than the Chinese Gates part.

The Aisin pump I got for a Subaru in the kit was dam near jewel quality, possibly one of the nicest finished pumps I ever saw, the fit and finish really stood out. The timing marks on the Mitsobosi belts is spot on and well done. Aisin makes a nice kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back