Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 vs 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been discussed before - I couldn't find much of anything when searching.
I've pretty much decided to use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 in my GTI going forward. I have 6 of the quart bottles ready for my next change.
Yesterday I noticed that a local Walmart now has 5 qt. jugs of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 on the shelf. Only $22.47. I have to buy the 5W-40 at Advance Auto and it is much more expensive.
The 5W-40 is slightly thicker at all temps. I'd like to know the HTHS for both. Is one of them low saps? The 5W-40 has the BMW LL-01 certification but the 0W-40 does not and even though I don't own a BMW I still would prefer that it have that certification. I know the whole Mobil 1 LL-01 thing has been beat to death and there is no consensus on the reason it was dropped - probably the same for Pennzoil.
Any thoughts on which oil would be preferable?

HT/HS should be comparable between the two. Both are full SAPS.

I'm only speculating here, but the reason 0w40 does not have ll01 approval may be political/intentional since SOPUS has a BMW branded 0w40 oil that they sell at a premium.

Personally I would have no problem using either the 5w40 or the 0w40 in your VW.

Originally Posted By: LotI
The 0w-40 should be the SRT flavor, correct?

No. He is talking about 0w40 Euro - different product from the 0w40 SRT.

As for price, if you plan ahead, you can wait for the 5w40 to go on sale at AAP when it's part of some oil change special that brings the price down to about $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As for price, if you plan ahead, you can wait for the 5w40 to go on sale at AAP when it's part of some oil change special that brings the price down to about $5/qt.

Definitely, that's the way to go.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Definitely, that's the way to go.

Or wait to December when it goes on sale at AutoZone for $2/qt less a $2/qt mfg rebate. Net cost is at most sales tax.

I'd go the 0w40 without hesitation if it's on sale and cheaper than the 5w40. 0w40 is almost always considered better and is almost always more expensive. There won't be any bad results using the 0W40 on your engine if the 5w40 works fine and meets all the required specs of your car.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Use whichever has the most approvals.

Whichever has most up to date approvals that match your requirements. Some oil companies love to claim a ton of out of date approvals.

Verify the specification under the hood. It will probably be 502 or both 502 & 504 oil spec. You need to make sure that's what you use since you are still under warranty.

Originally Posted By: RustyH
Verify the specification under the hood. It will probably be 502 or both 502 & 504 oil spec. You need to make sure that's what you use since you are still under warranty.

Both oils he's considering meet the spec. He is just trying to further differentiate between the two.

Both oils have the same specs except that the 0W-40 does not meet BMW LL-01 and does not appear to have the Ferrari/Maserati approval (for whatever that's worth).
I wish I could find the NOACK and HTHS for both.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
I wish I could find the NOACK and HTHS for both.

For the 5w40:
HT/HS: 3.6 cP
Noack: 6.2%

Sorry, don't have the 0w40 data.

Thanks. I think it was listed as 6.8% back in 2013 and I didn't realize the current version was even better. That's good news for a DI engine I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back