Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I have just searched the site and read for nearly an hour and find very, very little information on Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, 10w40. This normally wouldn't be an oil I would have questions about, but yesterday I was in WalMart and they had the 5qt jugs on sale for $9. ($1.80 a quart). I bought the last two jugs they had.

Now, I have become a Rotella T4, 15w40 fan for all my bikes and wonder how PYB 10w40 stacks up against T4????

I am sure that T4 will shear less and it likely has a higher flash point and I would bet the add-pack deals with acids better. But in a motorcycle engine....I wonder how this oil will perform?

I have BMW's with a dry clutch and I also have dual-sports with wet clutches....But I doubt PYB 10w40 has any friction modifiers to mess with wet clutches. I could also use this oil in my lawn mowers, generators and snow blower.

The real question here is really......how good an oil is PYB 10w40? (This is the newest blend in the new yellow bottles.)

Here's some info I was able to pull off the product data sheets......

PYB 10w40 = KVis100C=15.3, KVis40C=104.7, VI=155, Flash=204, PP=-39

T4 15w40: KVis100C=15, KVis100C=118, VI=133, Flash=204, PP=-36

Last edited:
I was just at Walmart and every 10W40 was on clearance. It looks like their not going to sell 10W40 anymore at this store. All 10W40 was taken off the regular oil shelf.

as far as wallyworld clearance...got myself two 5 qt jugs of 10w-40 Mobil Super conventional, 5 individual quarts of the same, 4 individual qts of Valvoline 10w-40 conventional, and 1 individual qt of Quaker State 10w-40 conventional; gave 1 of the Mobil Super jugs to a friend for his 2 hondas (rebel 450cc & magna 500cc); all the PYB was already gone; also snagged 3 individual qts of Castrol Edge 10w-40 synthetic; already had 3 individual qts of Amsoil OE 15w-40 synthetic;

I will be blending batches 1qt of synthetic to 2 qts of conventional for oil changes next year in my honda shadow 750 & genuine buddy 125 scoot that I bring home in a few weeks...already have lots of synthetic-conventional blended batches for this year; now to start snagging oil filters for the 125cc scoot (HiFlo Filtro 183's)...already have 3 HiFlo Filtro 303's for the motorcycle

Last edited:
i have not tested yb 10w40 but i did test yb sae30
it was good
however as a somewhat similar i tested exxon superflo 10w40 and sae40 and 10w30
and the only one i would recommend is the sae40...

i had 1 (of many) 10w40's stay in grade for more than 2hrs of motor time - maxima 4extra 10w40
but all the rest did not stay in grade.
10w30 and 10w40 just dont enjoy life in a shared sump

Sunruh!

What would you recommend if I wanted to stay at least in the 40 grade range at the end of the OCI?
A good SAE40, maybe some 20w50 you have tested? Anything in particular?
I don't really ride below about 45°F.
Thanks!

found some more bargain oil & filters in my travels today (more Mobile Super, Valvoline, and Quaker State)...took inventory when I got home; decided to keep 9 qts of Valvoline 10w-40 & 2 qts of Quaker State and took all the rest back (Mobil Super & Castrol Edge); the filters I scored were 2 of the Bosch 3300 Distance Plus for $5 each...they fit the honda shadow; also got several filters for the new 125cc scoot)...

ready for riding season!

No gears, no clutch in the sump of that BMW. Is your era 1200 OK with a 40Wt oil. My 2011 R1200R is and has done well on 5W-40 oil in temps as hot as 113F.

bigjohn,
if your beemer is trannyless and just motor...then run any darn oil you want.
if it were me, i'd run srt 5w40 in just a motor
that stuff it great, but really doesnt like the gears of a tranny.

atsez792 i have no idea what is available in your area to recommend. i would look at the shell helix 15w40 line or similar. i like the motul products in general but they are spendy

I'm an HDEO 15w40 fan and Rotella is in both my Beemers right now.

My son gave me a great recommendation for all this cheap, clearance oil..... We have two motorcycle engines split, broken-down and in the process of rebuild. We always need a flush oil for a 25-30 mile ride, to quickly dump and then pour in a second, short OCI. I bought a bunch of Pennzoil Marine 10w30 for 99 cents a quart last year and that's what we will use for the first flush. Then we will pour in the YB 10w40 and run it 500 miles.

I'm still going to stick with HDEO's for normal OCI's.

10W-40 PYB will be fine. It's a good conventional oil with a slug of Grp III in it (varies by availability). Has been known to have GTL in in the past. Depends on what is available in the pipeline, but it's never a bad oil
smile.gif

Finally got around to using the ole Yellow Bottle 10w40.

I poured it in my wife's Yamaha TTR230. Oh my....it is smoother and quieter than anything I have had in the bike. Some of my other bikes will get a dose as well, when I need to change the oil this spring.

Maybe it has something to do with the higher Viscosity Index, over T4 15w40????? T4 15w40 was what was in the bike previously.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I found 7 quarts of 10W-40 Yellow Bottle on clearance a while back at my Wal-Mart. I am currently running it in my 2003 GZ250. I plan on sending some to Blackstone at 2500 miles to see how it is doing.

I poured it in my wife's Yamaha TTR230. Oh my....it is smoother and quieter than anything I have had in the bike. Some of my other bikes will get a dose as well, when I need to change the oil this spring.

Maybe it has something to do with the higher Viscosity Index, over T4 15w40????? T4 15w40 was what was in the bike previously.

its new oil thats why it sounds better

and your values are WAY off...no way its a flash of 399F (204C)

Originally Posted By: sunruh

....and your values are WAY off...no way its a flash of 399F (204C)

Well you better tell Pennzoil then because thats what their web site says
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/b...0-Motor-Oil.pdf

ROD

The problem with almost all API SN, PCMO's is that the additive package, film strength and shear stability are very weak for anything other than a passenger car engine. Running a PCMO in a motorcycle is going to cause the oil to shear quickly, flash off more and coke onto the high heat areas much faster than an HDEO or motorcycle specific oil would.

I ran some PYB 10w-40 for a short interval in my KLR 650 a few years ago. Sure nothing noticeable happened but I am sure a UOA of the oil would have showed it was sheared down and had no real service life to it very quickly. That engine is especially hard on oil because it uses roller bearings instead of plain bearings in a lot of places.

In simpler terms, sure PYB 10w-40 will work but it is definitely going to provide a lot less protection for your engine compared to an HDEO or motorcycle specific oil. Its your bike.....

Originally Posted By: AMC
The problem with almost all API SN, PCMO's is that the additive package, film strength and shear stability are very weak for anything other than a passenger car engine. Running a PCMO in a motorcycle is going to cause the oil to shear quickly, flash off more and coke onto the high heat areas much faster than an HDEO or motorcycle specific oil would.

I ran some PYB 10w-40 for a short interval in my KLR 650 a few years ago. Sure nothing noticeable happened but I am sure a UOA of the oil would have showed it was sheared down and had no real service life to it very quickly. That engine is especially hard on oil because it uses roller bearings instead of plain bearings in a lot of places.

In simpler terms, sure PYB 10w-40 will work but it is definitely going to provide a lot less protection for your engine compared to an HDEO or motorcycle specific oil. Its your bike.....

Makes sense.... I do dump/change the oil on that TTR every 10-12 hrs of riding, which is what the manual recommends, which sounds crazy..... But it is only a 1,000cc sump (1 liter) and that small amount of oil, I am certain, gets chewed up really quickly. Maybe this 10w40 is a nice match, since the OCI is so short.

If you are going to use it, I would stick to 10 hours or less for the OCI.

I would not use 10w-40 in your lawn mowers or other equipment unless they call for it. Most lawn mowers and small engine companies such as Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda, etc call for 10w-30. For the best protection on those engines, use an HDEO 10w-30. Most Wal-marts carry Rotella and Delo 10w-30 HDEO. Just me speaking but I really try to use HDEO in everything except my cars.

Originally Posted By: AMC
If you are going to use it, I would stick to 10 hours or less for the OCI.

I would not use 10w-40 in your lawn mowers or other equipment unless they call for it. Most lawn mowers and small engine companies such as Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda, etc call for 10w-30. For the best protection on those engines, use an HDEO 10w-30. Most Wal-marts carry Rotella and Delo 10w-30 HDEO. Just me speaking but I really try to use HDEO in everything except my cars.

Just for the fun of it.... I might send in a sample of YB 10w40 out of the TTR230 after 10 hours....just to see what it is doing.

Also.....good point on the lawn mower application. I could go one quart of 10w40 and one quart of 5w20 synthetic....for a nice blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back