Need input from everyone - Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful where you go looking around for the cars. There's very little signs telling you where to go.

I won the bid on the Buick, paid for it and had to wait an hour or so, I asked if I could go look at a Lumina that was coming up for auction soon and they said yes. Signed a paper and wore an orange vest. Well the lot it was in was in the back, apparently that's a big no-no to go back there. My brother and I were chased down by a guy in a front end loader and another guy in a security pickup truck. So just make sure you know ahead of time the car you are looking at is in the correct lot.

Absolutely NOT. FCA is terrible enough now, but the worst of the worst years were mid 2000s. Obviously in pre-FCA times I'm still referring to Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler.

That car will cost you more in maintenance in 4 years than buying a new base model would have been. A new base model would be a MUCH nicer car.

Yes, I saw you were outbid, but I can still warn anyone else that might see this thread in the same situation.

11 year old Charger with "rims," a lot of miles, and some kind of engine issue = hooptie. Those are a dime a dozen around here with riyums and a knock.

If you like Chargers though, nothing wrong with buying it as a project. I just don't think there is likely to be a huge margin on this car as a flip...maybe none/negative if it needs an engine and a lot of cleanup/repairs.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Yep! My birthday is Sunday, so I'm taking Monday off at work.. part of Monday is going to be spent visiting the location that it's being stored and giving it a once-over. The keys are in it, so I should be able to start it and get an idea of it's true condition.

Happy birthday!
cheers3.gif

Hope it's a great one for you today, and enjoy the day off tomorrow; be sure to update us after the visit!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Yep! My birthday is Sunday, so I'm taking Monday off at work.. part of Monday is going to be spent visiting the location that it's being stored and giving it a once-over. The keys are in it, so I should be able to start it and get an idea of it's true condition.

Happy birthday!
cheers3.gif

Hope it's a great one for you today, and enjoy the day off tomorrow; be sure to update us after the visit!

Thanks. It was a good one, for sure.

As to the Caddy, other things came up and I was not able to get over there before noon. That, and someone else ended up beating me on the Caddy. I just wasn't willing to spend the big bucks on it.

With those mileage and wheels, be prepared to change out the suspension bushings (i.e. tie rods, ball joints, mounts, struts, etc.). The ball joints may be welded onto the lower control arms so you're looking at buying new LCA's instead of replacing just the ball joint. Again, the Charger share some legacy Mercedes Benz E-class (W211) suspension system so factor that in.

When I was a kid (18-20 years old), we used to buy Ford Thunderbirds, and Lincoln's from a local auction, then part them out on ebay.

Back then we made a good money especially on Lincoln parts.

I owned two thunderbirds so it was nice to have extra cash to fuel my hobby.

I don't know about the driving price for used parts for a charger, but worst case scenerio is that you part the car out.

But that takes a lot of work, and you may or may not have space, or an HOA to deal with.

I had a 2 car garage at a rental house I owned to part out cars, I wouldn't do it at my own house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back