Castrol Edge 5w20 in 2017 Kia Sportage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
I was struggling for a while whether to use Castrol Edge in my new 2017 Kia Sportage, but after reading
threads here I decided to give it a try. I'm now running second time in a row using this oil and car is doing way better then on OEM conventional oil (Total I believe)
Dealer wanted $60 to upgrade to synthetic so I said no way that will happen and bought Castrol Edge 5w20 for $23 (available on Amazon or Walmart for that price)
I attached recent Blackstone Lab analysis in case you are looking for updated info.
One remark: analysis doesn't have TBN cause I forgot to check it.
Good luck everyone!

When did you buy this oil?

It seems very odd that it has the old amounts of Calcium/Magnesium.

Other than that, everything looks great.

Originally Posted By: jmw116
When did you buy this oil?

It seems very odd that it has the old amounts of Calcium/Magnesium.

Other than that, everything looks great.

This is how the newer Edge formula looks. I'm the VOA it has almost 400p boron, just enough titanium to show up. . It's pretty stout.

OP, the factory full is SOPUS (Quaker State)

Originally Posted By: SlavaB
Hey guys!
I was struggling for a while whether to use Castrol Edge in my new 2017 Kia Sportage, but after reading
threads here I decided to give it a try. I'm now running second time in a row using this oil and car is doing way better then on OEM conventional oil

In what way is it "doing way better then on...conventional" that you've noticed?

With a Hyundai / Kia GDI engine I will quote another poster here who gave the advise : " Use as good of a synthetic oil as your wallet can afford" and I recommend not to try and stretch your OCI's on a non - turbo beyond 5K to 6K miles - (7.5K miles if doing primarily Highway miles) if you plan to keep it any length of time .

Your Kia is still breaking-in so it's difficult to make any assumptions about oil quality yet.

PS: Off Topic: I have several quarts of older Edge (Gold) 5w20 from the AZ clearance of last year...some of it has the older (original) label elthough it is still SN rated.

I have 2 questions:

1) Did the formula change with the label...(I don't see 15K OCI listed on the original label)?
2) How is this (2013-2014) version different than the current formula?

Thanks in advance.

Bought it very recently, it came in upgraded tall 5qt bottle

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: SlavaB
Hey guys!
threads here I decided to give it a try. I'm now running second time in a row using this oil and car is doing way better then on OEM conventional oil

In what way is it "doing way better then on...conventional" that you've noticed?

I've noticed way better cold start, especially when I go to Tahoe and its snowing the whole day. Also, engine is running much quieter as well as car is more responsible IMO

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
With a Hyundai / Kia GDI engine I will quote another poster here who gave the advise : " Use as good of a synthetic oil as your wallet can afford" and I recommend not to try and stretch your OCI's on a non - turbo beyond 5K to 6K miles - (7.5K miles if doing primarily Highway miles) if you plan to keep it any length of time .

Thanks for advise! Interesting thing is KIA usually require 7500 mi interval, but as I got platinum coverage they explicitly say 6k mi interval on the contract.
Which synthetic do you use in your Sonata?

Originally Posted By: volk06

OP, the factory full is SOPUS (Quaker State)

I'm not sure what do they put in factory, but 100% sure my dealer uses Total and it's mentioned as factory recommended in manual

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salcuta88

Pasiba za report!

You are welcome
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back