Not open for further replies.
Finally discovered the cause of some weird intermittent system operation:

This from May 24, 2016:
Quote:
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc4720000 for 0x1000 bytes.
File record segment 72832 is unreadable.
File record segment 72833 is unreadable.
File record segment 72834 is unreadable.
File record segment 72835 is unreadable.
The total allocated size 0x4f3000 of attribute of type 0x80 and instance
tag 0x1 in file 0x11ea1 is incorrect. The expected value is 502000.
Fixing corrupt attribute record (128, )
in file record segment 73377.
150528 file records processed. File verification completed.
313 large file records processed. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc4720000 for 0x400 bytes.
4 bad file records processed. 4 EA records processed. 57 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
180434 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
150528 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 642 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 642 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 642 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
14954 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35578952 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) DATA attribute.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

122561535 KB total disk space.
30527316 KB in 88909 files.
56424 KB in 14955 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
256459 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
91721332 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
30640383 total allocation units on disk.
22930333 allocation units available on disk.

Recently:
Quote:
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
150528 file records processed. File verification completed.
332 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 4 EA records processed. 57 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
183014 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
150528 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 140 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 140 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 140 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
16244 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35368904 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfb5c000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfb60000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfb61000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfb68000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfbd9000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xbfbdd000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 55403
of name \PROGRA~1\Palm\PHOTOD~1\ui\DGUI\IMG_DI~1.UI.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xb8834000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xb8839000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 58752
of name \Windows\winsxs\MSIL_P~2.233\PRESEN~1.DLL.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xaffc6000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xaffd1000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 85474
of name \Windows\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\PR5FB4~1.INF\I386\BRIO04AB.BCM.
150512 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
20974257 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Adding 8 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

122561535 KB total disk space.
38349988 KB in 95174 files.
57960 KB in 16245 indexes.
36 KB in bad sectors.
256535 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
83897016 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
30640383 total allocation units on disk.
20974254 allocation units available on disk.

Chkdsk was run again on 2/21/2017 3:20:36 PM. No errors found this time.

Next I ran WD HD checker:

What's odd however it that the HD passed all SMART tests with green arrows! Odd that...

Using Mozbackup, I BU FF & T-bird data (after extensive junk/trash/old msgs removal), then stored them onto my old WXP HD connected via USB.

Then I BU the OS, personal data & W7 install backup partitions using Acronis and stored them on WXP HD. Fortunately this completed w/o errors and is residing on a separate HD that I verified using CHKDSK.

Now my task is to make the WXP drive my primary and install the three partitions onto it, then install it as the new C:/ inside the Optiplex SFF case after removing the current C:/, correct?

WD HD diagnostics said it could attempt a repair but data might be lost. It advised running the repair from DOS (cmd?) post-boot.

Seeking guidance here as it's been awhile since I've had to do this.

Reading up on how to use Event Viewer and find CHKDSK logs has really paid off. Glad I caught this now before the HD failed to boot.

Q: if CHKDSK "repaired" current C:/ why does WD diagnostics "fail" it? Different tests? Repair didn't work? Please advise. TIA...

CHKDSK "repairing" is just moving the data from the affected sectors to ones that are still marked as good. WD fails it because the driving is failing.

I would just clone the drive onto a new drive, far easier than what you've tasked yourself with doing and IIRC, WD ships a copy of Acronis (or the license) with their new SSD's (if you were to go that route). Otherwise, the Ultimate Boot CD provides the necessary tools for doing a clone as well.

Got it. Thanks OK. Not at all surprised there is an easier way to do this. Thanks for chiming in with it. Still, it was good to go through the steps I did just to refresh. Also, I wasn't sure if Acronis would be successful as it failed previously when I tried to back up my documents partition, which is separate from the OS partition, though both reside on the same HD. No doubt I am pleased it did work.

I now have several HD's laying around. The WXP drive is a WD I bought not too long ago and is larger than the HD that came on the refurb'd Optiplex. It was the primary on the XP machine before stepping up to W7 (someone should have told me update to W7 sooner.)

Unfortunately, the SFF optiplex only holds a single HD (I think. I'll have to check), thus the Savant external box via USB.

Brushing up on using Event Viewer, Process Explorer & Monitor, autoruns, msconfig, sfc, chkdsk, & other nice sysinternals tools.

Run CDM as administrator and try a chkdsk /r before running anything further. If that doesn't help, then yes, I would try the WD repair options.

You can do to the clone to/from the USB to the new drive. So if you put the new drive in the system and hook the old drive up as your USB source, that works. I do this all the time.

I just cloned two failing hard drives with the Ultimate Boot Disc. Great bunch of programs.

SMART can be helpful to proactively alert you to drive failure, but it's pretty far from perfect. Especially for consumer grade drives. It's far more robust in enterprise storage.

install speedfan and have a look at current pending.
bet its high.
thats an old drive likely made during the flood crisis.
none were very good.
any current pending sector count other than 00000000 is the beginning of the end.
and when there are current pending and reallocated its getting really bad.
i suspect yours is close to paperweight status so back it up now.
and for grins post a screenshot of the speedfan output.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You can do to the clone to/from the USB to the new drive. So if you put the new drive in the system and hook the old drive up as your USB source, that works. I do this all the time.
Currently the Acronis backup of C:(OS), F:(docs) and D:(recovery) is located on H: (Old WXP HD). F/ & D/ are both partitions located on physical HD C/.

So I need a third HD to move my backup to BEFORE using H: as recipient of the clone. Else I'll lose the backup, right?

Also, there remains some files & folders on H: that need to be moved off somewhere else. No use backing up old stuff, right? I assume I can safely delete the H:/Program Files folder, right? No data should be in there, just installed programs.

One solution is to use Acronis to compress & backup necessary folders onto a blank DVD to save space. Or I could network an old Dell B130 LT, depending on how much space is left on it. A third option would be to buy a BIG mem-stick and use it for backups.

After checking through Acronis' options, it appears normal compression results in archives that are 55% of original file sizes; so around 7.3GB/DVD. HIGH is 60% less but takes 70% longer.

Very useful here would be some program like a duplicate file finder or something that would compare files in two or more folders to locate duplicates. Any suggestions?

Conclusion: I need to move the recent backup to another destination, along with some other misc files on WXP before cloning. The fastest method using large storage without buying anything else appears to be the Alien LT HD. 253G are avail out of 298G free. Wired ethernet should also be faster than writing to DVD or flash drives, correct?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Currently the Acronis backup of C:(OS), F:(docs) and D:(recovery) is located on H: (Old WXP HD). F/ & D/ are both partitions located on physical HD C/.

So I need a third HD to move my backup to BEFORE using H: as recipient of the clone. Else I'll lose the backup, right?

Also, there remains some files & folders on H: that need to be moved off somewhere else. No use backing up old stuff, right? I assume I can safely delete the H:/Program Files folder, right? No data should be in there, just installed programs.

One solution is to use Acronis to compress & backup necessary folders onto a blank DVD to save space. Or I could network an old Dell B130 LT, depending on how much space is left on it. A third option would be to buy a BIG mem-stick and use it for backups.

After checking through Acronis' options, it appears normal compression results in archives that are 55% of original file sizes; so around 7.3GB/DVD. HIGH is 60% less but takes 70% longer.

Very useful here would be some program like a duplicate file finder or something that would compare files in two or more folders to locate duplicates. Any suggestions?

Conclusion: I need to move the recent backup to another destination, along with some other misc files on WXP before cloning. The fastest method using large storage without buying anything else appears to be the Alien LT HD. 253G are avail out of 298G free. Wired ethernet should also be faster than writing to DVD or flash drives, correct?

You would not involve H at all in the process assuming we are using a new drive (preferably SSD) as the target. Clone the physical failing drive, which I had assumed was your C/F/D drive, to the new SSD with the old physical C/F/D drive attached via USB enclosure as the clone source. Your H drive stays the way it is.

I'm having a [censored] of a time trying to share files between W7 and Vista!! Royal PITA....

Problem #1:
I'm unable to change the name of the WORKGROUP Vista assigned; it's grayed out. The W7 machine is on a different workgroup and I want Vista to use it.

Problem #2:
Not sure if the WORKSTATION service has anything to do with this, but I'm unable to start it. I get the error msg #1079 "the account spec'd for this service is different from the account spec'd for other services running in the same process."

Problem #3:
In Vista, file sharing is stuck on CUSTOM rather than ON and I'm unable to change/affect/modify it. It immediately reverts upon any attempt to do so.

My purpose is to use the largely free disk space on the Alien LT HD to store the old files from WXP HD mentioned above, so I can wipe it, the clone the failing W7 drive to WXP. However, #$%^! Vista refuses to allow me to make the necessary changes and is being most uncooperative!

Please Advise!
TIA...

SO glad i use Linux. i'm SOOO not tired of the windows issues.
you might have the open explorer as admin. or log in as admin. make sure your user name has admin access.
if the folder was shared before, you have have to take ownership.
or you might install linux, read the drive, copy all personal documents and pics to new install and never look back.

I started a new post on this subject. Finally figured it out. Now moving off files onto the LT so I can use WXP as the new W7 OS disk.

You would not involve H at all in the process assuming we are using a new drive (preferably SSD) as the target. Clone the physical failing drive, which I had assumed was your C/F/D drive, to the new SSD with the old physical C/F/D drive attached via USB enclosure as the clone source. Your H drive stays the way it is.
Satisfied I have backed up everything necessary off of WXP HD to the Alien LT HD, I removed the W7 HD from the Optiplex SFF and installed the WXP HD. Then installed the (failing) W7 HD into the external Sabrent HD case and connected it to the Optiplex via USB.

I booted the Optiplex from an Acronis Rescue disk I built when I first got it. Acronis boots but won't allow me to clone because it's not able to see the external HD connected via USB.

Odd that....and unexpected. Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back