Power steering line seals confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a Saab 9-7x (2007) model, 4.2L. This is essentially the same car as the Trailblazer.

I'm about to change the power steering lines (due to heavy rust).
I'm changing the pressure and the return line and have already purchased them.

On the power steering rack, there is two ports side-by-side; one for the pressure and one for the return line.
They're installed simultaneously and are held by one bolt through the middle plate that holds both lines in.

Here is the power steering hose (SUNSONG model 3402390):

3402390.jpg

There is a yellow cap shown (I don't actually know what that is for, I assume it's for plugging the port on the rack so that debris doesn't fall in, does anyone know???).

The real question is about the black seal that comes with it but is not shown in the image.
It looks like this:

s-l225.jpg

Another image can be found at this link: http://forums.trailvoy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15351&d=1295961769

The port can be viewed here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3rIIem48WZGWHvOC7gscH7O4NmCndODgcx25_yoj1DOmOwY_7

The return line shown here:

3401143.jpg

Also comes with a yellow cap.

But it doesn't come with a seal.

My understanding how the seal works and is installed is that the old seals need to be removed (if they don't immediately come out with the lines), then inserted into the ports and when installing the lines the seals have slits which will open up when the lines pierce through them.
There are no leaks at the ports, the only reason I'm replacing the lines is due to the heavy rust build up that will inevitably cause leaks in the near future.

The question is do the seals need to be replaced or can I simply reuse the existing seals? or just replace the one at the pressure side since that's the only one that came with a seal (and there is nowhere else I can find to buy a seal).

Thanks for any advice, appreciate it.

Last edited:
On my Cadillac (which may be different, but looks very similar) the seal on both lines is the 0-ring, which is compressed between the tube and the bore of the rack. BTW hope your Chinese replacement lines work better than mine did. I wound up with some AC Delco Canada ones the second time around.

From the selection available there were two types; OEM and Alternate Design.

All the OEM line types from every make look identical, so I'm not sure what could go wrong.

The only thing I'm worried about is that seal that goes into one or both ports on the rack. That could be the difference and I don't want to run into any problems.

The alternative design looks a bit different and uses a captive seal (the end that goes into the rack looks different). Coincidentally the end looks like the the end that's currently installed on the vehicle. One would expect the end to look like the OEM version, weird.

The alternate design looks like this:

36-365451_Primary.jpg

If you're right, I may have to order the alternate design instead. But I don't think the reason for it will be that it's made in China, but some design flaw.

Last edited:
I would use the Gates OE design not the SUNSONG. I have used the Gates on many cars for the same reason you are and after harsh NE winters with lots of salt they remain rust free, they fit perfectly and have the quality of OE.
I am sure the AC Delco are similar quality but once I find a brand that is consistently high quality and good fit I tend to stick with it so I haven't tried the Delco aftermarket only the OE.

Hi Trav,

Thanks for the suggestion and recommendation for Gates. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

But I already made the purchase and will try to install the Sunsong. The rust factor won't be an issue since the car will run maybe 5 more years before heading to the scraps.

My only question is really about the cup seals at the port during installation.

Do you have any advice about those? I would like to be confident that I won't have any leaks afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back