Help me choose a bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids are finally grown and I have some time, so looking to get into riding. Many, many years ago as a teenager I spent several summers riding motorbikes but never really had the chance for that to evolve (college, job, marriage, kids, etc., etc.). Same story for many of us, I'm sure. I don't plan on riding across country or commuting but rather just some back roads or Blue Ridge parkway. I'm 5' 10" and about 180 pounds, 52 years old so want something that will be comfortable to ride but not crazy hard to maneuver. Based on my limited research, I'm considering a Honda Rebel or Yamaha VStar 250 (or 650) to get started. My concern is if I ride frequently, I will quickly outgrow these bikes and need to upgrade to something more sturdy sooner rather than later. I know there are a lot of other considerations (price, style, riding ability) but just wanted to get some opinions on beginner or light experience bikes that I should consider. Also - new or used? Do new bikes lose value like new cars? Any input is appreciated.

If you already know how to ride, then I'd probably skip the 250cc bikes and go straight to something larger so that you won't have to trade up in a couple of months.

With that said, I did start out on a 250cc Suzuki GZ250 after I got my motorcycle license. About 4 months later moved up to a Vulcan 500, and a couple of years after that settled on a BMW F700GS. The GS was actually more comfortable to ride and easier to maneuver than the Vulcan. I really loved it and would highly recommended it. The 800cc engine is tuned more for low end torque and not crotch-rocket performance. I still miss it.

Absolutely buy used. If you do end up with something smaller like a Rebel, you can likely ride it for a year and sell it for the same amount you bought it for. I'd suggest something in the 250-600cc range, which heavily depends on the type of bike you choose. I wouldn't get a 600 sport bike, but a 600 cruiser might be just fine for a beginner.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS500, I rode it for around 10 years and I'd still be riding it if it wasn't totaled. Plenty of power, easy to maintain, cheap to own.

Another aspect you might want to consider is the ease of maintenance. Since you're on Bitog, I'm assuming you'll want to do your own oil changes, spark plug replacements, coolant flushes (air cooled maybe?), valve adjustments. Some things are easier than others depending on the bike. Considering my history and your vehicle list, I'd suggest looking at a Japanese bike.

If you haven't already, go sign up and take the MSF class. It'll get you back on two wheels (they often have Rebels and small Viragos) and get you your license. I would try determine what style of bike you want first, then narrow things down.

Excuse the lack of local knowledge but Blue Ridge Parkway ways sounds like mountain country in which case the 250 won't cope with the hills very well especially with the power loss that all machines suffer at 3000 ft. I'd go for more power or specifically more torque. Nothing excessively fast though as if you are not going to be a regular rider then the learning curve that will keep you alive has a set back between every ride.

If you are specifically looking for a cruiser and tight on budget, I would highly suggest to look at Vulacn 750 or Vulcan 800 classic or even Vulcan 900 too.

Savage/S40/650 can be a good starter or an option too. If you plan to do BRP then you need to decide and settle on a bike with a bigger gas tank, so that you are not worried about gas.

Honda rebel 250 is a solid candidate, very easy to handle, light weight and a bullet proof bike. I would not consider Yamaha 650, because it's not as fun as a rebel. It looks big and heavy, but in actual functionality it isn't.

Honda VFR is another good candidate for BRP, not super sporty, but neither a cruiser. I have few other suggestions and ideas too, I love BIKES
smile.gif

Any slight interest in sport touring or standard(naked) or even Ninja/GS 500 kind of bikes?

PS: Buying used would save you $$$ and won't make you upset, if anything bad happens. Also, insurance would be cheap and used parts would be readily available too(for mass produced bikes).

I have been looking a getting a bike for several years and none seem be what will make my life complete but the over 600 cc bikes are all powerful.

I've owned many motorcycle over the years, the last one was a piece of junk Aprilia Shiver 750. A Rebal or VStar 250 is not something I would take out on the interstate. It wont have any power to spare to get you out of trouble. My guess is that a Honda CB500X is the best bike for you.

Used is good. There are lots of lightly used bikes on the market.

I don't think 250 is a bad thing, though personally I'd avoid an air-cooled 250.

Would you consider a Yamaha WR250X? Seems like a really fun bike for the backroads. Ditto for a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM.

If the freeway weren't part of my riding, I expect I'd own one of those.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've owned many motorcycle over the years, the last one was a piece of junk Aprilia Shiver 750. A Rebal or VStar 250 is not something I would take out on the interstate. It wont have any power to spare to get you out of trouble. My guess is that a Honda CB500X is the best bike for you.

I LOVE and LIKE european bikes, but I am too cheap, hence I have japanese ones.

I had CBR500(sibling of CB500X) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cwing6
My kids are finally grown and I have some time, so looking to get into riding. Many, many years ago as a teenager I spent several summers riding motorbikes but never really had the chance for that to evolve (college, job, marriage, kids, etc., etc.). Same story for many of us, I'm sure. I don't plan on riding across country or commuting but rather just some back roads or Blue Ridge parkway. I'm 5' 10" and about 180 pounds, 52 years old so want something that will be comfortable to ride but not crazy hard to maneuver. Based on my limited research, I'm considering a Honda Rebel or Yamaha VStar 250 (or 650) to get started. My concern is if I ride frequently, I will quickly outgrow these bikes and need to upgrade to something more sturdy sooner rather than later. I know there are a lot of other considerations (price, style, riding ability) but just wanted to get some opinions on beginner or light experience bikes that I should consider. Also - new or used? Do new bikes lose value like new cars? Any input is appreciated.

Sounds a lot like my experience, actually. I spent my childhood on an 80cc dirtbike and then took a ~15 year hiatus on riding. When I finally got around to buying a bike in my late 20s, I opted for a 650cc Yamaha Vstar. I outgrew it in 6 months. If I had to do it over again (and if it was still going to be a cruiser), I would go with something in the 800cc - 1300cc range. 1500cc+ is overkill unless you're going with a really big, heavy bike. Also, be careful not to buy a bike that is too short for you. I'm ~5'10" and after 6 months my Vstar 650 felt way too short for me (seat was too low). IMO they're better suited for someone ~5'7" or thereabout.

You already have some experience on motorcycles, and that is a key piece of information. Although you will have to re-learn, you will already have a good level of comfort and will catch on rather quickly. Don't put yourself in the position of outgrowing your bike in less than a year, like I did.

Also, if you're going to only be riding the bike alone, a bike under 1000cc is probably fine. If you're going to carry a passenger, go bigger. When I bought my 650, I assumed I would be riding alone. Then my wife (at the time) started riding and started enjoying it (which I never expected) and with TWO people that little 650 was... capable but not confident. Really needed a heavier bike, 1200cc or better.

... oh yeah, buy USED.

If your just getting back into riding and at your age I'd suggest a MP3. I've been riding for over 45 years(I'm 61) and have 5 bikes(one is a DRZ dirt bike) but the one we take on the back of our motorhome is a '04 MP3 250. Go find one and take a test ride, with two front tires it holds the corners without losing the front tire(s) as easy with sand, dirt or gravel on the road. Lets face it at our age we don't heal up as fast and we do break bones easier. They make 250, 300, 400 and 500cc MP3's. We have had ours up to 12400 feet in Colorado and it did just fine.
My wife and I like our Goldwing for long rides but the MP3 is far safer so that is why we take it when we travel by motorhome. Its just a very fun scoot.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/07/201...s-review-photos

ROD

Last edited:
If you have some experience riding, i would look at a 650 or up. The one bike you mentioned was a bare bones bike which at first seems cool, but there's no place to carry a jacket or extra gloves or anything else. Alot of guys buy a bike, then spend a fortune adding things that you'll find convenient, but didn't get beforehand. I would check out bikes with detachable windshields or bags. This way you can have them if you want, or loose them if you don't. A 650 will give you enough power to make the bike fun, without working it to death just to cruise easy on roads with 65 mph limits. There are lots of low mileage bikes for sale on Cl, and the newer one's are fuel injected and that's a plus over carb's. Bike shoppin is fun.,,,

I would say that if you know what countersteer is why it is critial to riding then go ahead and get a good used starter bike around 600cc's A kawi ninja or suzi SV are light and torquey twin cylinder upright seated bikes. If you find a garage queen you'll be all set. If you're confident get an FZ1 or KZ1000 or SV1000. The new bikes like ZX10 have electronic rider aids and ABS that are fantastic.

If you don't know what countersteer is and don't want to know get a rebel 250 or a Moped and stay alive.

Last edited:
The first thing I would suggest, is to take some MSF riding courses: MSF Riding Course

I've helped teach MSF courses, and advanced riding and roadracing classes.

Lots of people have been riding a long time, but really have little experience. They have no idea where their or the bikes limits are, and/or often they learned bad habits, and have continued those bad habits.

I recall one student stating he had one year of experience, 30 years in a row. Of course he didn't realize that, before he took some basic and advanced riding classes, and learned better riding techniques.

So I would take at least the MSF classes, before deciding what bike you want.

Im your size +1 inch, same weight and a few years older.

As my signature shows, I owned an 07 Suzuki C50, moved up to a Yamaha VSTAR 1300 Tourer and then in 14 what I consider my ultimate, a 14 Harley Road King.

We do a lot of interstate, 2 hours one way to the beach, two hours the other way to the Smoky Mountains.
Most always two up with some exceptions. My wife is petite.

I have had all three bikes up to the Smoky's many times. We go at least twice every summer, one of those times is for 4 nights or so.
Blue Ridge Parkyway, Maggie Valley, Tail of the Dragon, Chimney Rock, Cherohala Skyway, Maryville TN, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg etc.

The Suzuki c50 was more then capable at 800 cc but I out grew it fast. I cant say it was a mistake, enjoyed the bike and was a good bike to learn on, its light and nimble.

With that said, looking back, if someone was asking I would most likely skip that C50 step and go right to the Yamaha VSTAR 1300 tourer if your looking to doing a good amount of riding and cruising right at the start.
I say that because at interstate speeds the Vstar 1300 was a more comfortable, well planted ride, less likely to get blown around by trucks, high winds etc. The power to weight ratio was nice and quite honestly they, to me are the only ones in that sweet spot..

The C50 although capable of sustained 75 MPH GPS speeds would get buzzy at those speeds. If you do not plan on that type of riding or just want a lighter bike to start out on, then a 800 to 900 cc bike I think would be perfect for you, also in that class is a Kawaski Vulcan 900.
If you want to take a step up, I feel the Vstar 1300 is not so overbearingly heavy that it would give you a problem, and you will adapt to it quickly but that has to be what you are comfortable with. Without question I think over time you will be more happy with the vstar 1300 but we are all different and have different ideas on what we want out of a bike.

One word about the metric bikes, most of them the speedometers lie. You have to add another 8 to 9% of what the speedometer says to know your actual speed. Why they do this I do not know, maybe the lack of a sixth gear. Its why I quote GPS speed, not the speedometer speed.

Ok, on to the 14 Road King, its my ultimate bike, the lightest out of Harleys touring bikes, all built on the same frame and engine but without the weight of a fairing, same exact bike.
I personally think its to much for someone new to learn on or better said, someone asking a question like you are I would not recommend such a heavy bike, its not needed by a new rider.

For us now, knowing how to ride some years later, its the ultimate ride, well planted, nice power, comfort (wife would never let me sell this one) Can effortlessly cruise all day at any speed and the engine just hums, it doesnt notice wind gusts or trucks on the interstate, its an interstate cruiser for sure. Believe it or not, I NEVER thought I would own a Harley, thought they were over priced and Heavy. Well, now that I own one I (and my wife) understand, its quite a machine.

Good luck with your decision! Its not the brand of bike, its the ride and fun factor of riding. Only you can determine what is needed for that fun and you must be comfortable. The C50 gave me that comfort in the beginning, I cant see riding up in your area with a less then 800cc bike.

Another GREAT option is ABS but not available to my knowledge on the C50 or 1300 in the USA, another reason for the Road King purchase with ABS, will never own another bike with out it. But now we are getting ahead of ourselves. :eek:)

Last edited:
I suggest a 2004+ used Harley 1200 Sportster. You'll be able to sell it for what you paid if you want something bigger and there are a lot of options to customize it for your height, style, etc. When I started riding again in 1991 after a 10 year break, I got a Yamaha 650 and got tired of it in a month because it was too small.

Never happen here - no autonomous vehicles in my driveway - ever
laugh.gif

About bikes - I've been riding something like 56 years. First bike I owned (not borrowed) was a Honda SL-90. Met my wife on her CT-90 at a corner. Been at it ever since. So have been from 90cc to 1,800cc. Been on small bikes, race bikes, crotch-rockets (Kawi Ninja, and others) and Trials Buikes. Have commuted 45 miles each way to work for years on a bike. Rode dirt, trails, scrambles, TT, and some out-law road racing on back country roads where I grew up (Santa Cruz Mountains).

Currently own a 1200 Sportster and an older Honda XL350 - what they call a dual sport nowdays... But I augment that with rentals when I need something else
smile.gif

And that's what I suggest. Get a decent used dual sport in the 500~650 range. It will do most of what you want solo very well. With the right tires if will carve pavement well enough and go off road mildly (gravel roads and some trails).

If you want to go 2-up for any distance - rent. That way each time you go on a trip, you will experience a new bike/frame/suspension/motor. No one can tell you what you'll end up with long term - no one. Bikes are like shoes. They are personal and based on comfort and fit. What is for sure is that there is a fit out there somewhere
smile.gif

For decades I road Brit bikes. Then [censored] bikes, then German bikes ... Then I started fooling with Harley's after a flood wiped out my fleet of 12 bikes (at the time). There is a reason there are thousands of guys and gals with 200,000+ mile pins that own Harleys. They do not look comfy or like they handle, but they do - on both counts. My wife and I have done 11 hour days in the saddle (Mustang) of a Road King (RK). And when we got off, we both said we could have gone further if we had to. I can not say that about any other bike including Goldwing and BMW ...

My Sportster will haul us to the County Fair, or breakfast, or haul me to town around most of the tourists if I need a part or a loaf of bread. But you are pretty well done in two hours, maybe three. An RK is just hitting its stride in two hours. You are just starting to really relax
smile.gif

So ride and rent. Rent all sorts of different stuff. Something will feel like a good pair of slippers and be just what you want. Once you have figured that out, look for that in nice used shape, and make that your long term bike
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back