M1 0w40 FS; 4,800 miles; '12 VW Tiguan 2.0t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: edyvw
PAO wins again. GTL is good, but can't hang. I'll stick with Castrol.

But in Cooper you have GTL?
smile.gif

You're right. I may switch to EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 or 0W-30 next. Last oil change was before I realized how good Castrol's PAO oils were. At the time I kept going back and forth on what to use and finally decided using the BMW oil was a fail-proof option. Plus, if any damage were to happen to the engine, I wouldn't have to explain to my wife why using 0W-40 in her car that specs 5W-30 didn't cause said damage... Even though we (bitogers) all know it wouldn't have been the oil's fault!

What specifically will you gain by switching to Castrol from the BMW branded oil?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What specifically will you gain by switching to Castrol from the BMW branded oil?

Probably nothing. But given the price of TwinPower Turbo, it's worth exploring options. In fact, my reply to edyvw made me curious about the price of 0W-30 Castrol, so I just google'd it and saw that Advance Auto Parts had it on sale for $5.50 a quart. There's one up the street for me, so I just picked up 5 quarts for the next oil change, due in 1800 miles or so. Store manager said that's lower than his store cost.

Probably nothing. But given the price of TwinPower Turbo, it's worth exploring options. In fact, my reply to edyvw made me curious about the price of 0W-30 Castrol, so I just google'd it and saw that Advance Auto Parts had it on sale for $5.50 a quart. There's one up the street for me, so I just picked up 5 quarts for the next oil change, due in 1800 miles or so. Store manager said that's lower than his store cost.

That's for sure. Why not just get Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart for an even lower price?

That's for sure. Why not just get Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart for an even lower price?

Because the car doesn't spec 0W-40. I personally could care less, but last thing I want is to use 0W-40 in the car, have some random engine failure (timing chain, etc.), and get blamed by my wife for using the "wrong" oil (it's a sensitive subject since her old Cooper S lost compression in cylinder 3 and we had to get rid of it). Plus, I think 0W-40 is a bit overkill for a tight-tolerance 1.6L 4 cylinder (not that EDGE 0W-30 is much thinner).

Last edited:
Because the car doesn't spec 0W-40. I personally could care less, but last thing I want is to use 0W-40 in the car, have some random engine failure (timing chain, etc.), and get blamed by my wife for using the "wrong" oil (it's a sensitive subject since her old Cooper S lost compression in cylinder 3 and we had to get rid of it). Plus, I think 0W-40 is a bit overkill for a tight-tolerance 1.6L 4 cylinder (not that EDGE 0W-30 is much thinner).

Correct, it specs Longlife-01 (or Longlife-01 FE), right? Oil grades are recommendations not specifications. Besides, I looked in the Mini Owner's manual for a 2012, I didn't see where it mentioned grade at all except in conjunction with the BMW-branded oil.

Correct, it specs Longlife-01 (or Longlife-01 FE), right? Oil grades are recommendations not specifications. Besides, I looked in the Mini Owner's manual for a 2012, I didn't see where it mentioned grade at all except in conjunction with the BMW-branded oil.

I think we're going in circles. If it were my car, I would run 0W-40 in it no problem. However, I think 0W-30 is a more suitable oil for the N16 engine.

I think we're going in circles. If it were my car, I would run 0W-40 in it no problem. However, I think 0W-30 is a more suitable oil for the N16 engine.

Well considering that to meet Longlife-01 both oils have to have an HTHS greater than 3.5 I can't really see how there is much of a difference.

Does Coope manual specifically states 5W30? That is new in BMW world, since BMW only cares about specification, not grade.

I would lie to the wife Women love being lied to. For example. Steve did you buy that motor cycle in the garage? Nooooo honey I had it for years. Why isn't there a licence plate on it?. The screws fell out and I am waiting for the replacements.. Women make their husbands lie.

Does Coope manual specifically states 5W30? That is new in BMW world, since BMW only cares about specification, not grade.

I thought it spec'd LL-01 and 5W-30, but I just checked. It specs "BMW high performance 5w-30", along with LL-01 and LL-01 FE. I think that's where I got 5W-30 stuck in my head. For what it's worth, it also lists out approved grades: 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-40. Regardless, I still think choosing the thinner of the two oils (between edge 0W-30 and 0W-40) is the right move for a tiny 1.6L N/A engine, but I also wouldn't hesitate using 0W-40 in it.

Last edited:

I thought it spec'd LL-01 and 5W-30, but I just checked. It specs "BMW high performance 5w-30", along with LL-01 and LL-01 FE. I think that's where I got 5W-30 stuck in my head. For what it's worth, it also lists out approved grades: 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-40. Regardless, I still think choosing the thinner of the two oils (between edge 0W-30 and 0W-40) is the right move for a tiny 1.6L N/A engine, but I also wouldn't hesitate using 0W-40 in it.

Well, BMW is trying to make sure people use correct oil, so if they are not familiar with LL-01, choosing 5W30 or 0W40 is mostly likely fit needs of the car.
0W30/40 are of same base stock. Both oils are very stout and W40 is running on thin side of W40, while W30 is on thick side of W30. However, if price is not an issue (since 0W30 can be pricy sometimes) I think it is better choice because NOACK is lower.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I still have my doubts that this amsoil has SA under 0.8%.

I guess my doubts were unfounded. Apparently this Amsoil has SA content right at 0.8%. Nice job of being able to keep SA down while still squeezing out a decent TBN.

I still have my doubts that this amsoil has SA under 0.8%.

I guess my doubts were unfounded. Apparently this Amsoil has SA content right at 0.8%. Nice job of being able to keep SA down while still squeezing out a decent TBN.

I mentioned before that now I do not mind buying Amsoil. They are getting their approvals, have pretty decent ad pack, HTHS is good.

Shearing, Absolutely this is why it's no longer BMW long Life approved.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Actually YES.

As I said and meant above, the Castrol has magnesium and titanium. The M1 0w-40 has moly, boron, lots more calcium, and NO magnesium. I couldn't have stated it any plainer. Indeed, the 20/30 grades of M1 do have magnesium. Never been confused about that.

Oddly, those same 20/30grades of Castrol have no magnesium. I wish these guys were more consistent across all their grades.

Even you are better with Castrol 0W40 because this is example how oil stayed absolutely in grade. Cst of Castrol Edge 0W40 is 13.1. This UOA shows 13.26 which could be bit of difference due to testing equipment. But M1? Holy mole did it shear. What did they do to this oil? I did UOA twice with M1 0W40 old formula (VISOM) and it went from 13.5 to 13.3, absolutely staying in grade.
Now this just confirms more my thinking that there is a reason why M1 does not meet BMW LL-01 specification, and that is that oil just cannot meet it since they moved to GTL base stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back