Wining noise from engine bay....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were driving the Jetta this evening and upon deceleration heard a wining noise. It was similar to that of a wining power steering pump but not as loud (also this car has EPS). The noise started happening around 30 MPH and continued as we slowed down, it did continue when speeding back up as well but went away shortly after that. Also, the noise did vary with RPM. I have heard this noise maybe once before when pulling in to a gas station to get fuel (again low speeds). Do any of you with a VW product experience this or have any idea what may be causing it?

Besides checking the belts and trying to isolate the water pump and other accessories and running the engine for a very short time, also be on the lookout for exhaust leaks that make weird squealing or high pitched noise.

It takes some looking around and time to find this kind of a problem.

I've seen alternators do this. Unplug the alternator connector and see if it goes away.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've seen alternators do this. Unplug the alternator connector and see if it goes away.

Agreed personally experienced this last weekend with the Camrys alternator. I had replaced it last July so mine was under warranty.

Gregk24
I don't have experience with VW Jetta's, but last year my 2011 Ford Expedition was making a noticeable "whining" sound and it turned out to be the belt tensioner. Best of luck to you!

It was just at the VW dealer too. Its not my daily driver, its the Fiancés' but I will try to keep a listen out to see if its a frequent occurrence.

Under acceleration....could be intermediate shaft bearings or carrier bearings on transmission or transaxle.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Under acceleration....could be intermediate shaft bearings or carrier bearings on transmission or transaxle.

Would this be intermittent ?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
For me its always been low on PS fluid..

Even when you have Electric Power Steering?

There is still fluid in an electric system. My Jeep GC is electric and takes a special hydraulic fluid.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
For me its always been low on PS fluid..

Even when you have Electric Power Steering?

There is still fluid in an electric system. My Jeep GC is electric and takes a special hydraulic fluid.

Not all EPS uses fluid though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I noticed a few different engine noise complaints with the 2014 Jetta on www.carcomplaints.com the other day. I forget to post a link since I had to get going.

I just went to that site and didn't find anything condemning. There are only 9 complaints total which is nothing for that site. I haven't noticed the noise since I started this thread and we drove around all day yesterday. Volkswagen uses this engine in most of their lineup, so I'm hoping that points to plenty of durability testing. I am a Honda man myself so I had thoughts of trading in the Jetta down the road for a Civic, but the truth is I have fell in love with this car. We will probably keep it till the wheels fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back