Taking the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accepted a job in Greenville SC. My wife will be able to stay home and raise our daughter (17 months old) and future children. We will almost purchase a home for cash and carry zero debt. My new position is a lateral move, and a pay cut, however it will allow me much more professional opportunities in the near future. The cost of living, $7000 difference in property taxes, and cheap housing cost negates the pay cut.

My wife and I have been discussing this for years.

Signing contract to put the house on the market tomorrow. We need to sell it for the move to happen as we need the funds to purchase our new home.

Fingers crossed. I haven't slept well in days. My mind is absolutely racing with thoughts and what ifs.

Blessings on the move it sounds like things will be going in the right direction . It is nice for the kids when mom is home with them. My wife stayed home and I would say it was a great thing for the kids. It is scary !

Originally Posted By: CT8
Blessings on the move it sounds like things will be going in the right direction . It is nice for the kids when mom is home with them. My wife stayed home and I would say it was a great thing for the kids. It is scary !

In Chicago we would be a dual income family forever. My mortgage is $2200 per month. It's so hard to get ahead.

I've remodeled my home myself over the past two years and have 200k in equity.

We're going to be 100% debt free at age 32 and my wife can raise our children.

It's a proud moment for me.

My wife was able to stay home with my 4 children. It made a difference. Go for it.

This has "WIN" written all over it; embrace the new adventure and gained opportunity down the road....

You are SO ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING. You are thoughtful (which puts you MILES AHEAD of so may people) and you will do just fine.

Resist becoming "a consumer". Do YOUR thing. Turn the TV OFF and induce your kids to learn a musical instrument.

I'm excited for you and I don't even know you.

BEST of luck....work brings luck....preparation and absence of debt = luck.

Make friends wherever you go. Stay sober so you can say hello to new people.

Stay quiet and visible. Join a political club/local church/etc. but be yourself. Observe the leaders and don't be a "disposable fool" to their system.

You're going places and will find peace and satisfaction. Kira

My wife and I feel we can have a higher quality of life in Greenville.

I appreciate the kind words. I'll check back to your comments when I need reassurance in the near future. We know no one down there. I currently have ALOT of my plate...Selling house, working full time, Finishing up my full time graduate school program (August), being a good father and husband.

Originally Posted By: Kira
You are SO ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING. You are thoughtful (which puts you MILES AHEAD of so may people) and you will do just fine.

Resist becoming "a consumer". Do YOUR thing. Turn the TV OFF and induce your kids to learn a musical instrument.

I'm excited for you and I don't even know you.

BEST of luck....work brings luck....preparation and absence of debt = luck.

Make friends wherever you go. Stay sober so you can say hello to new people.

Stay quiet and visible. Join a political club/local church/etc. but be yourself. Observe the leaders and don't be a "disposable fool" to their system.

You're going places and will find peace and satisfaction. Kira

Good Luck OP, smart thing to. I have been contemplating something similar from last few years. You story inspired me, wish you all the best and hope you find lots of success and happiness.

Kira, some of your words are just precious. I mean, it's so amazing how you have put everything together, in a very concise and powerful way!!!

Kira is right.

Invest some time in some Dave Ramsey lessons.

Avoid the temptation to "keep up with the joneses"...

Live within your means.

SAVE SAVE SAVE for retirement!!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Kira is right.

Invest some time in some Dave Ramsey lessons.

Avoid the temptation to "keep up with the joneses"...

Live within your means.

SAVE SAVE SAVE for retirement!!

OMG, believe it or not, I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey and hence I am cheap!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Best of luck to you and your family! Big move and lots of change. When we retired, we left socal for a small town in the Colorado Rockies. Was a bit of culture shock but, it's a great place to be. Hope Greensville turns out the same for you guys.

-the only way is up
-every kick in the butt is a step forward
-your wife is not a stay-at-home-mom but a work-at-home-mom
-if i;m not mistaking, no basements for you anymore hehehe.....get an ant-eater
-cheaper gas
-you will have to keep the kids active 12months/years (no real snow season)
-you will get your motorcycle time back in about 20 years .... till then minivans or mini-minivans for you (mazda5 with stick?)
-you are in hyper stage; slow down 75% and you will get to the southern age
-sunscreen + sweet-tea + smile
-dump heavy winter coats/boots

Best of luck. I have family in Seneca and have been to Greenville many times. You will be close to the Smokey Mountains. Lots for the family to do in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back