Costco battery warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be behind a bit. I thought the last 65 series I bought had a 3 yr replacement only warranty, but its been 3 yrs and I no longer have the vehicle. Did they go that way for a while and then change it back to a pro rata warranty there?

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I bought a Die Hard WeatherHandler for about $55, even though the warranty wasn't as generous as Costco. It was weird too. It was an online-only pickup price, and for a "North" version. The "South" version was selling for maybe $90.

Sears do not sell South versions in CA. Their website will show it in a search but put in your zip code and it won't be available.

The prices are different. Some SKUs even have "EP" in them for East Penn versions, none of which are available in CA either.

It's weird to me that the South versions are not sold here. The description of many batteries will include which states they're available in.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I bought a Die Hard WeatherHandler for about $55, even though the warranty wasn't as generous as Costco. It was weird too. It was an online-only pickup price, and for a "North" version. The "South" version was selling for maybe $90.

Sears do not sell South versions in CA. Their website will show it in a search but put in your zip code and it won't be available.

The prices are different. Some SKUs even have "EP" in them for East Penn versions, none of which are available in CA either.

It's weird to me that the South versions are not sold here. The description of many batteries will include which states they're available in.

It was really strange when I bought it. I know I certainly couldn't have gotten the same price had I walked into the Sears Auto Center and paid for it there. I had to buy it online to get the price. I also checked availability for pickup, and both the "North" and "South" were listed as available at my closest store.

It looks like they might have canned their South and North versions. I did look up my old purchase pickup form, and it says it's the North version, even though the clerk said there was only one version.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
That and I think some batteries are undersized with little reserve capacity.

I agree. I think they do this to save weight.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
That and I think some batteries are undersized with little reserve capacity.

I agree. I think they do this to save weight.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue with smaller engines that are easier to turn over. However, I was thinking that stuff like the radio and lights typically draw about the same regardless of the size of the car. So leaving on a map/dome light or listening to the radio will probably kill a battery in shorter time with a smaller reserve.

I've driven my wife's Civic when I dropped her off with her parents at the airport and waited in the short-term waiting lot. Totally forgot about the lights since I didn't open the door and didn't get the warning chime. I didn't leave it running and it wouldn't start after about 15 minutes. Didn't have my jump starter in the trunk and basically asked around the lot for anyone with a jump starter or jumper cables. The older woman in the space next to me told me to check her trunk, since her son equipped it. I was lucky that it had jumper cables and she was nice enough to let me jump off her car. Strangely enough, it's needed to be jumped on that battery at least a half dozen times, but it still seems to be holding strong after more than 6 years.

One would be surprised at just how small a healthy fully charged battery could be and still easily start a small engine.

However when aged, and not fully charged, a larger battery is required.

I had one battery which was so old and abused, and so capacity compromised it could not power my stereo for 5 minutes, but when it was fully charged it had no issues starting my v8 in mild temperatures. but listen to stereo for 2 minutes and click click. dooh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back