Lubricants Containing Titanium Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Question.

I would have to review drill bit coatings, but I believe most drill bit coatings are solid nitrided coatings, I.E., the bit is immersed in an ammonium/metal salt and then heated.

From the paper:
Quote:
3.1. Structure and the Dispersing Stability of TiO2 Nanoparticles
Representative TEM images of both kinds of nanoparticles are shown in Figure 1. It can be found that the appearance of pure TiO2 was a hollow sheet with the size of around 100–200 nm (Figure 1a), while the average size of surface-modified nanoparticles and thus the size distribution is in the range of 50–100 nm (Figure 1b).

Similarly, dispersed (MoS2 moly) powders in grease form layered sheets between rotating and sliding parts.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Titanium oxide is used to coat drill bits because it has a hardness far greater than tool steel. Do these Titanium oxide nanoparticles then act much like MSO2 in greases, to reduce shock-wear?

Drill bits are coated with titanium nitride. TiO2 is relatively soft compared to the nitride.

Dang. Of course.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: weasley
My point was that you imply that Castrol use TiO2 in their oils (presumably you refer to the EDGE oils with Titamium FST). My riposte was that no, they don't...

And my posts #4337568 and #4339853 were to show that Castrol would use some type of Ti compound, because if you look at various Castrol and related engine oils they do use some type of Ti compound.

Agreed, but not TiO2.

Actually, and for just about any metal compound, one uses either an Oxide, a Dioxide, or a Trioxide of the metal as a starting point for the reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back