Harrison Ford - Landing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 64 years old and lets not talk about any type of degradation O.K.! There are things that hurt that I didn't know I had. One of my neighbors is a retired American Airlines pilot and another is a retire Cal fire Huey pilot both well trained highly skilled and alive at retirement age . They had a discussion with me one after noon about degradation of abilities.

Astro, I'm curious now.
Can you give any examples of errant ATPs actually facing criminal prosecution in this country?
That would constitute prosecution to the full extent of the law. Certificate action is another matter, but that's an administrative action, not a prosecution.
A pilot who makes a serious error can expect administrative action from the FAA up to loss of license.
My impression is that felony charges are more than rare.
Showing up to take a flight drunk will buy a pilot criminal charges and this has happened rarely, but I'm not sure that happens in the event of an honest error that brings a bad result.
Harrison Ford does need some attention from the FAA and he'll no doubt get it.
He deserves actual criminal prosecution about as much as do a number of other pilots who've rarely or never seen such a thing.

John Denver had his own problems with the FAA caused by alcohol. Also with Pitkin County Colorado and Colorado law enforcement.During the years I lived in Colorado the general consensus was that he was a lush.
frown.gif

In Ford's case we have an individual who has been a solid aviation community member for many years. He's no dillitante. He flies a couple of times a week. He participates in search activity with the Civil Air Patrol. He wholeheartedly supports aviation activities like Young Eagles, Veteran's Airlift and others. He was instrumental in making the last Bob Hoover film that was to provide some income to Hoover in his final years. In a world where runway issues are even being addressed in large commercial airplanes with electronic systems like RAAS (Runway Advisory and Awareness System) I think I can cut Ford a little slack. As to criminal charges - not even close. He deserves a slap but not ticket pulling or anything of the sort. I think sometimes we may be letting envy color our rational thinking a little when we speak about punishment.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
John Denver had his own problems with the FAA caused by alcohol. Also with Pitkin County Colorado and Colorado law enforcement.During the years I lived in Colorado the general consensus was that he was a lush.
frown.gif

Rocky Mountain High??

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
frown.gif

IIRC he was an alcoholic.

If I'm reading the news correctly, Mr. Ford has company in the doghouse. A Trans Canada flight lined up on a taxiway at San Francisco a few nights ago and overflew some taxiing aircraft.

It was the middle of the night, but I bet that won't help them much.

Originally Posted By: Win
If I'm reading the news correctly, Mr. Ford has company in the doghouse. A Trans Canada flight lined up on a taxiway at San Francisco a few nights ago and overflew some taxiing aircraft.

It was the middle of the night, but I bet that won't help them much.

I read the San Jose Mercury story on that and the usual breathlessness associated with news about aircraft incidents. But this may have been a "real" near occurrence. Some reports are saying the Trans Canada flight was down to 175 feet befoe the go around. If it's true, and that's always a big if with the news media, then we almost had a Tenerife moment. Thank God we didn't. The availability of runway advisory systems on aircraft tied primarily to GPS position is meant to avoid this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back