Dead Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weird situation here.
I have a few buildings in the woods.
I usually have snakes come in to die in my buildings.
Garter, black, pine, etc.
I usually find them alive but just about dead on the floor.
Everyone has a bashed in head............

This is the country and I have no neighbors around. I have tons of hawks, crows, eagles, etc.
and many cranes which I understand are snake killers. This is not mowing season. Do you think birds are doing this
or other snakes or possibly rats around the water ways behind the structures. I have no mice or rats in the structure
as I store high grade lumber in there and I can go six months without seeing any trapped etc.

This is normal around here lately.

Could be as I see plenty of house cats around and in the 70's I caught a few bobcats here for which they aren't supposed to be.
And yes- chewed is what it seems to be and these snakes are small bodied- they get long but are still very small. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: The_German
My guess is it is a big stray cat.

A cat will chew threw the skull to kill it fast for whatever reason.

I have seen this done to birds.

The head looks bashed in but it is chewed.

Sounds like you have some free pest control going on over there. A saucer of milk to him.

Sounds about right!

Less chance of injury to the cat the quicker the prey is taken out. On the Animal Channel they posed a question about which animal was the deadliest or which one had the highest kill rate/most efficient hunter. Answer below:

A Cat.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Less chance of injury to the cat the quicker the prey is taken out. On the Animal Channel they posed a question about which animal was the deadliest or which one had the highest kill rate/most efficient hunter. Answer below:

A Cat.

I think I was reading the Smithsonian magazine and it said the same thing. Cats are decimating whatever they come across; and they are good breeders too.

Badgers, Martens or Fishers in your area? I could see them giving a snake a good crunch on the head and leaving them for dead.
As for good hunters, I think a Fisher is pretty decent, I don't think the largest house cat would give a Fisher a moments trouble and they only weigh 6-12 lbs.

Sounds like you have some free pest control going on over there. A saucer of milk to him.

Really? Snakes are not pests. They control the rodents, insects and other true pests. House cats are not "pest" control when going after birds, snakes, frogs, or whatever. Frogs, turtles, butterflies, bees, bats, and now snakes probably all disappearing from our environments. We need all of them we can get. I rarely see frogs and snakes around the yard any more. Haven't seen a turtle in the yard in a decade.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Really? Snakes are not pests. They control the rodents, insects and other true pests. House cats are not "pest" control when going after birds, snakes, frogs, or whatever. Frogs, turtles, butterflies, bees, bats, and now snakes probably all disappearing from our environments. We need all of them we can get. I rarely see frogs and snakes around the yard any more. Haven't seen a turtle in the yard in a decade.

I agree 100%!

A bunch of grown [censored] men getting their panties in a wad over snakes!?!? (Not referring to the OP)

I wish the rumors, lies, myths, outright bologna and FEAR about snakes and other harmless predators would go away.

Edit: It seems the typical mentality is kill pretty much everything in the yard or house. What a stupid, narrow minded way to be.

Last edited:
The last cat I had was too haughty to hunt. The pair I had before her, were hunters. Midnight brought me a hen pheasant one night.. We had an infestation of rats when a local farm house burnt down. The cats made short work of them and that is what they left. A rat missing its head above the lower jaw.. Now I have wild life. I dont spray or fertilize my lawn. Since the turkeys have come my Japanese beetle infestation has vanished. Nor do the grubs kill the roots.The holes they make aerate the lawn too. Bats and bees are rare now. I haven't heard a whip-or-will or seen a black snake in ages. I do have garter snakes.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

+1

People need to grow a pair over a lot of things out there.

We have a lot of wildlife. The feral cats amuse my dogs, but will wait patiently for their chance to hunt the yard. I have never seen them kill a snake but it could happen. Here we have 3-4 foot black snakes that cruise the yard like submarines, just peeking their heads up high to see a bit, then dropping back down out of sight.

personally, I like snakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back