Modified BMW 335i, N55 oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a modified 335i with a custom tune, aftermarket intercooler, intake, and methanol injection kit. It produces about 380hp at the wheel. I've been using GC 0w-30 without issues, but the tune and mods are new this winter. I occasionally push the car to its limits. I'm planning on trying motul 8100 xcess or redline 5-40. I'm really impressed by their pds and uoa stats. Any other robust LL01 oils I should consider? I'm thinking a thicker oil, for the summer with a higher hths would work well. Are there any special considerations with a modified n55 and a meth kit? The oil temperatures are usually right at 250 in the summer. It doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil, I've only added one half quart ever. Any advice or pointed guidance is much appreciated- you oil gurus know who you are! Thanks in advance.

Yeah PA can get a bit cold, go with 0w-40. If you really want to, you could try 5w-40 but I think in the end that's less important than you'd imagine.

If you switch from a 30 to a 40, you might notice higher oil temps this summer...I did when I switched from a 5W30 with an HTHS of 3.1 to another that was over 3.5. Kind of freaked me out at first, then some posters on here helped me figure out that an oil that is thicker at high temps is also going to be hotter for the same engine conditions.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If you switch from a 30 to a 40, you might notice higher oil temps this summer...I did when I switched from a 5W30 with an HTHS of 3.1 to another that was over 3.5. Kind of freaked me out at first, then some posters on here helped me figure out that an oil that is thicker at high temps is also going to be hotter for the same engine conditions.

No, he won't, because they have nearly the same HTHS. They're functionally the same oil and I never understood why Castrol sold both.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
They're functionally the same oil and I never understood why Castrol sold both.

This is why the 0w-30 has finally been discontinued. Took them a while, though.

I have 2 jugs of Castrol 0w40 waiting in the garage. The comments are helpful. Maybe the enemy of good is better.

Originally Posted By: HolyOilSeeker
I have 2 jugs of Castrol 0w40 waiting in the garage. The comments are helpful. Maybe the enemy of good is better.

Stick to Castrol 0W40. It has HTHS of 3.7, which is same as Motul X-Cess, but I think Castrol is better. Redline 5W40 is really heavy W40. If you consider Redline get 5W30 since HTHS is 3.7.
Whatever you do, do not use Castrol 5W40.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

No, he won't, because they have nearly the same HTHS. They're functionally the same oil and I never understood why Castrol sold both.

The OPer mentioned Motul and Redline 5W40s, not Castrol.

I'm open to informed suggestions, if Castrol is comparable then so be it. I was planning on using GC 0w40 but I was wooed by redline's pds numbers. Is better still the enemy of good? Lol

Castrol 0W-40 is a fantastic PAO-based oil (rare these days... most are hydrocracked crude oil). PAO withstands heat better and has far superior cold flow properties (good for a DD). I don't think you can beat it for your application, since your N55 is still a DD. Stay away from Castrol 5W-40. As with any modified engine, change it often.

I would say to stay w/ the old GC if you could...! Barring that, the many suggestions on here to go w/ Castrol's 0w-40 are what I would tell you as well. Stout stuff for a stout powertrain!

John.

I was using Castrol 0W40 in my tuned N55 and still using it in my modded N54 with full bolt on's.

Lowest noack and stoutest oil you can get. Wonder if Amsoil ACD should be considered.

I'm open to informed suggestions, if Castrol is comparable then so be it. I was planning on using GC 0w40 but I was wooed by redline's pds numbers. Is better still the enemy of good? Lol

Redline numbers are really good, but I would go in that case with 5W30. HTHS of 4.3 and cst of 15.4 in RL 5W40 will create much more friction and you will definitely see higher oil temps. compare to Castrol 0W30/40. Ester base will help a bit there, but still, it is just thick oil. Redline also recommends for people who use their oils to drop a grade from recommended one. I would not go with RL 0W30, but 5W30 with HTHS of 3.7 is good oil.
Bear in mind RL is NOT approved oil for BMW, but it will do good.
Now question is, is it worth paying $12.45 for quart, when Castrol 0W40, which is superb oil, is $22.87 on rollback in Wal Mart for 5qt?

Last edited:
Just like the marketing from these oil companies, they tried to blur truth. There is a difference between saying approved versus recommended or suggested. Redline or Cam2 blue blood have suggestions on their website not approvals. Buyer beware. I'm going to stay with Castrol for now. I appreciate the thoughts and information.

Just like the marketing from these oil companies, they tried to blur truth. There is a difference between saying approved versus recommended or suggested. Redline or Cam2 blue blood have suggestions on their website not approvals. Buyer beware. I'm going to stay with Castrol for now. I appreciate the thoughts and information.

Well yeah, that is well know fact that RL is not approved.
Actually Amsoil has 5W40 that is LL-01 approved.

I think this is wise. I wouldn't use anything that is not LL-01 approved in an engine as complex as the N55. And as far as LL-01 oils go, Castrol 0W-40 is probably the best.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Well yeah, that is well know fact that RL is not approved.
Actually Amsoil has 5W40 that is LL-01 approved.

Which one? None of the oils listed on their website carry Longlife-01 approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back